Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-03-09, 12:57 AM   #1
thebus71h
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h
Default Bass Fishing in Michigan

I moved back to Michigan to be closer to the family, and now that I've got all this bassin' gear, I need a place to use it up here. I live in Grand Rapids, which isn't to far from Holland, which is where I could go to the Pigeon River, or Lake Macatawa, but what else is there around here? Also, I've been looking through some of the tackle shops, and I see a lot of heavy jigs, with mop skirts on them. What kind of baits and colors are used up here mainly?
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 08:52 AM   #2
Mac2

That part of the state is loaded with lakes, especially to the south of Grand Rapids down near Cass County and I'm sure as you study the map you are loaded as well. I'm an old Michigander from south east Michigan, but now reside in Tennessee. My youngest son lives not far from Paw Paw and we've had some good fishing in that area. Anyhow, getting back to colors and lures....we've done well in watermelon red lizards and tubes as well as cutting the tails off of Zoom speedworms, wat/red as well and slow falling them near and in weeds texposed on weightless 2/0 worm hooks. You will get different answers from everyone you meet.....grubs can work well, suspending cranks sometimes, rapalas, spinnerbaits, plastic worms both lightly weighted and weightless do a lot of catching. Good Luck, Mac
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 04:12 PM   #3
Nitro 640

I live right out of Grand Rapids.
I will be Fishing on the following lakes (closest to my house)
Reeds Lake, Champau/Kettle Lake, Duncan Lake. Gun Lake is also is close and one of the bigger and popular lakes around but is full of boating traffic from the social drinkers.

Lures all depend on the lake. I have luck all year on a pop'r or skitter pop'r. Spinners and cranks seem to work everywhere.

Hope to see out on the water.
Nitro 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 10:30 PM   #4
thebus71h

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

I've heard that there is a lot of vegitation and pads around this area. If that's the case I look forward to it as topwater is some of the funnest fishing around. Thanks for the input so far, and Nitro if you ever want to go fishin, I'm always lookin for new people to go with. Let me know, shoot me a PM.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 10:40 PM   #5
Nitro 640

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus71h View Post
I've heard that there is a lot of vegitation and pads around this area. If that's the case I look forward to it as topwater is some of the funnest fishing around. Thanks for the input so far, and Nitro if you ever want to go fishin, I'm always lookin for new people to go with. Let me know, shoot me a PM.
Will do. Just need to figure out how to add friends and stuff on here. LOL anyone help with that?
Nitro 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 12:56 AM   #6
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Not sure how to do that, if you click on his user name you can send a PM though.
There's a guy named Mike that fishes a lot in your area, he works at West Marine there in GR. If you stop in I'm sure he would share lots of info on the local lakes.
I've only fished a few places on the west side like Lake Bella Vista and Hardy Dam Pond and I'm sure neither is typical for the area since Bella Vista is private and Hardy is a big reservoir.
I have heard good things about Reed, Thornapple River (in Ada), and some other lakes in the area.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 03:54 PM   #7
soulfly71
BassFishin.Com Member

If you want pads and vegitation you need to go to martiny chain of lakes awesome pad fishing.
soulfly71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.