Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-28-09, 07:27 PM   #1
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Tournament Mayhem

Ok guys I fished my first tourney today for the first time and I'm very disappointed. The first thing that went wrong is the weather. It was cold all day and never let up. The second thing that went wrong is my boater. Since I'm a co-angler I got stuck with a boater who decides he wants to spend 5 hours within a little spot that measures about 100 yards (all day long). I couldn't figure out why he wanted to fish this year when it wasn't even a hot spot on the lake. His only reply is that we wouldn't catch fish anywhere else. I knew there were a lot better spots to be at to catch fish yet he denied the opportunity even when we failed for 6 hours out of the 8 for the tournament. Makes no sense right? Then he decides he wants to take us to his area with huge current and little structure that has never been known to be a bass area on the lake. Finally with an hour left after being skunked he wanted to know if I wanted to fish a certain spot (considering this tourney requires the co-angler a 50-50 time frame to fish his own areas). I didn't even get to fish the front of the boat and this guy tried as hard as he could to make sure that I had no opportunity to catch a fish (he would manuever the boat to where I had no choice but to fish behind the motor where he already fished for about two minutes). The funny thing is that he got skunked and I caught one. Talk about a total letdown. Not only was it a waste of money but it was almost as if this guy deliberately fished this way so that we wouldn't catch nothing while his club buddy was racking up the fish. After one tournament I've already made my conclusion that the only way you are going to be satisfied is if you have your own boat and you fish where you want to fish. This guy also broke one of my pools during the outing so in the end I snubbed him on gas money since we fished 3 little spots in an 8 hour tournament. I'm not satisfied and tempted to even try to do another tourney if this is the kind of boater I'm going to get. I can catch more fish from the shore within one hour than this guy could all day on the boat (and this guy has fished this club for years). While the best guys were fishing the spots where I wanted to fish all day, they can back with fish.
pacmanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 07:38 PM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Wow, sounds like on bad day! Speaking of which, I have my first tourney tomorrow and the forecast is 40 with rain/snow showers and 20-25 mph winds. I hope my day goes better than yours did.

Ryan
Old 03-28-09, 07:43 PM   #3
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey man I hope you don't get an idiot for a boater like I did. I would make sure that the guy you fish with does not screw you over like this guy did to me today.
Old 03-28-09, 08:21 PM   #4
bcklash

pacman don't give up, most of the boaters are alot better than that screwball.
Old 03-28-09, 08:28 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

lash is right.. there better in the club..keep at it..

zooker
Old 03-28-09, 08:29 PM   #6
3dkicker

You roll the dice and take your chances.

Hopefully you get a better partner next time because they aren't all bad.
Old 03-28-09, 08:39 PM   #7
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

rrw4258, I wish you luck tommorrow. With those kind of weather conditions my guess is that it'll be a tough day out on the water for you. I really want to believe you guys to keep trying but when these club tourneys are expensive and I'm shafted like I was today, it really isn't worth the expenditure. The only thing I can do is try another tourney and hope that I get hooked up with a boater who at least knows the waters somewhat and respects the co-angler and tourney rules.
Old 03-28-09, 08:53 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

first off i don't blame you for stiffing him on gas money. i have never stiffed anyone on gas money but if i drew a partner like that i would have done the same thing, and told him why i wasn't paying for his gas as well so he knew i was pissed.

don't give up on tournies based on one bad outing. there will be boaters that you really enjoy fishing with and some that you don't, so goes life. before i decided to become a boater in my tournaments i drew some real idiots (but i never got cheated like you did). i also drew some great guys who taught me tons and i still fish with a lot of them today, some for fun and some as tourney partners.

sorry you had a bad tourney and wish you better luck next time.
Old 03-28-09, 10:01 PM   #9
Tennessee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Sorry to hear that

Should have gave me a phone call on my cell I would have load the old 1980 bass tracker the AKA the tank and rammed his boat LOL just kidding...I have always had my own boat and I still get stiffed sometimes fishing with friends and some family even!! Stick with it hang in there

Later Will
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 10:07 PM   #10
CMorg

Hey pac , where in indiana you at ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 10:19 PM   #11
Bender

Your experience is one that keeps me from fishing bigger tournaments. There is a possibility of that happening and personally I would rather fish for fun by myself than have a terrible day.

There are 2 problems with my theory though. 1. I do not learn new things or techniques since I do not have the experience of fishing with people that are better than me. There is a pretty good chance of this happening in tournaments. 2. I don't consider myself good enough on most lakes around to feel like I have a chance of winning and giving a drawn co-angler the chance of winning.

I am torn this year weather I should fish some of the BFLs and such because of this. I guarantee in the long run it will make you a better fisherman, but stories like yours are not too uncommon.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 10:58 PM   #12
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

This was a TBF/FLW club tourney. I didn't mind my boater as a person, but it sort of pissed me off that he chumped me like that. If I would of gotten some better angles and some time where I wanted to fish, I would of been more than satisfied.
Old 03-28-09, 11:01 PM   #13
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanrocks View Post
If I would of gotten some better angles and some time where I wanted to fish, I would of been more than satisfied.
And you should've gotten it. That's not too much to ask, that's just common courtesy.
Old 03-28-09, 11:20 PM   #14
thebus71h

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanrocks View Post
rrw4258, I wish you luck tommorrow. With those kind of weather conditions my guess is that it'll be a tough day out on the water for you. I really want to believe you guys to keep trying but when these club tourneys are expensive and I'm shafted like I was today, it really isn't worth the expenditure. The only thing I can do is try another tourney and hope that I get hooked up with a boater who at least knows the waters somewhat and respects the co-angler and tourney rules.
what lake were you fishing?
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 11:38 PM   #15
bamabassman

sorry for your bad experience pal. i would have reported him to the club and made it publicly known that i would NEVER fish with him as a partner again....EVER. i don't do tourniues for this reason alone. i have a boat, and don't want to get stiffed on gass oar anything. and to me it takes the fun outta fishing, but i am starting to think that in the future i might want to get in a tourney or two. just to see what it is about now. lol, your thread isn't helping me lmao. but don't give up because of 1 idiot. the gang is right about this. just make it known that you are not there just to add money to the pot. you are there to win if you can.
i have taken a few guys fishing with me, the reason is that i like to take others fishing with me. i want to learn from them and help them if i can. i plan to take several this year. as well as my wife and father. just got back from pop and mom's house and told pop to make plans to come over for a trip. he said he will in a month or less. i said great. we'll go out just to go. it'll be fun, no pressure, just relaxing and fishing. like old times.
so don't give up pal, stand up and hit it again. it'll get better for ya.
Old 03-29-09, 09:14 AM   #16
aikenyounggun

yeah you will get better draws and learn a lot of stuff but dont give up b/c of one idiot .. hope you get a better partner next time
Old 03-29-09, 09:22 AM   #17
Jim80

Sorry to that man , gotta take the bad with the good though and I am sure the next tourney will be better for ya .

Jim
Old 03-29-09, 10:39 AM   #18
abu4600

Iv'e had the same experience fishing out of the back seat and it makes for a long and frustrating day. but if you really like tourney fishing then give it another try.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 07:48 PM   #19
rrw4258

Well, i thought i would share my day with ya'll from todays toruney. Day started off sunny and somewhat warm, and as the day wore on it got into the 30's and it was off an on rain and hail from noon to 4:00. Long story short I won the co-angler side with 1 fish weighing 1.67 lbs, only because the other fellas couldn't pull a keeper fish. I did catch 3 or 4 shorts, and a fish that was about 2.5 lbs that wrapped me around a dock post, and the hook came unbuttoned. The fish were caught with a 3/16 BPS Stacey's Finesse Jig in Black/Blue with a NetBait Tiny paca Craw trailer in Black/Blue.

Ryan
Old 03-29-09, 08:04 PM   #20
JB

Welcome to the world of co angler! Like most have commented nine out of ten boaters are much better than the one you pulled, and most you can learn from in areas like boating, dif fishing techniques, and most important they turn you onto new areas to fish.
My only bad experience was some guy I pulled at grand lake st marys and he had no problem with littering, we were the seventh flight out in the bay and he asked me to sink about a dozen pepsi cans in the water.. I told him theres no way, and at the end of the day we can put them in the trash barrels by the dock.
He turned out to be ok the rest of the day, just that one little quirk.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 08:13 PM   #21
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
Well, i thought i would share my day with ya'll from todays toruney. Day started off sunny and somewhat warm, and as the day wore on it got into the 30's and it was off an on rain and hail from noon to 4:00. Long story short I won the co-angler side with 1 fish weighing 1.67 lbs, only because the other fellas couldn't pull a keeper fish. I did catch 3 or 4 shorts, and a fish that was about 2.5 lbs that wrapped me around a dock post, and the hook came unbuttoned. The fish were caught with a 3/16 BPS Stacey's Finesse Jig in Black/Blue with a NetBait Tiny paca Craw trailer in Black/Blue.

Ryan
Congrats!!!!
Old 03-29-09, 08:33 PM   #22
islandbass

That indeed seems terrible. As I read it I initially started thinking weather is no excuse for feeling bad, but as you described how you were treated, that is something that really was eye opening.

I commend you for keeping your cool and it must have been frustrating to be at someone's mercy like that. Maybe if by a stroke of bad luck you have to hook up with him again, you might want to share with this person a piece of wisdom, "The definition of insanity is doing the same over and over and expecting a different result."

I am not a boat owner, and heck, I've only fished once from a bass boat. With that said, I will tell you that if I were a boater and my game plan wasn't panning out, that is a hint and a half for my phanny to switch gears if I want to boat some fish. That would mean taking in the input of the co-angler. Sorry for a terrible experience. Hope it doesn't stop you from trying.

Winners find a way to continue inspite the circumstances and Quitters always find a way to quit.
Old 03-29-09, 08:56 PM   #23
northALbassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Ive fished nonboater quite a few times, but ive never had that bad of luck. Well, one time i actually drew my dad as my boat partner. Dang. he kept me turned all the wrong ways that day. i coulda kicked him, but hes bigger than i am. so i just cussed. but other than that most of the boats ive been put in the back of, have been great. and the best part is that i learned a ton from them. one angler actually held the lake record at the time for largest largemouth. he offered up his equipment and and baits and even let me where his lucky hat(mine blew off on the blast off). I guess im just saying, dont give up. they are not all bad.
northALbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 09:05 PM   #24
bamabassman

northalbassin....THAT is the right kind of fishing partner.
Old 03-29-09, 09:07 PM   #25
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

y didnt u just call him out on it? he may have had a reason for fishing that same stretch....he might have known the fish were there and was wanting to wait it out till the bite turned on.
and as far as not getting time on the front deck, a lot of boaters dont do that....they pay for the trollin motor prop and dont want it to get messed up....if ud have asked if u couldstand on the deck behind him, he prolly would have been fine with that...just ask.
fishin spro is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.