Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-17-09, 11:01 AM   #1
travis1286
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Novice boat buyer seeks advice...

Hey guys, new to forum and new to boats. I've always been around power sports (quads, bikes, snowmobiles, etc.) but have never owned a boat or jet ski of any kind. I will be graduating college in about a month and will be purchasing a bass boat for the summer, possibly a fish & ski if I find one I like. The problem? I know little about the good, bad, and the ugly of used bass boats and was hoping some of you could chime in with some advice.

My criteria: Looking to spend $15,000 or less, prefer fiberglass, must have at least a 90hp motor, comfortably fish 2-3 people, and it MUST be reliable.

I don't see my first boat as one I will keep for 10 years or so, but just something to get me started. I've always been a Yamaha fan so the skeeters have caught my eye...but who knows. Input is appreciated, thanks!
travis1286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 11:49 AM   #2
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've owned four boats, all different 3bass boats and a ski boat..my advice:

Get the most "bang" for your buck, go with the biggest baddest HP you can get. Don't be afraid of used boats. Usually you can tell by just looking it over if it has been taken care of well. Ask lots of questions and most importlantly ask if him if he will TAKE YOU OUT ON THE WATER... if you are ready to make that investment the guy selling it should be willing to take you out and show you how everything works. If he is not I would be wary about the purchase...

As far as make, model, etc. I can't help you there, just read lots of reviews and do your research. There are a few that stand above the rest IMO, but most glass bass boats are good boats.

Towing, this is probably one of the most overlooked aspects of boat ownership...be sure that you are equipped properly to tow these big boats. It will take some practice, preferably early mornings in empty parking lots or at a local launch. I would highly recommend that you use a full size truck for anything over 16ft or you're really going to start noticing the weight in the back. In addition towing will take a beating on your brakes, transmission and wear and tear...keep that in mind. If I was buying my first boat all over again, I would try to stay around 16-18ft.

REMEMBER: ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS...
Old 04-17-09, 12:07 PM   #3
travis1286
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the response, all very good advice.

Towing is not really an issue for me, as I have done my fair share towing snowmobile trailers and what not. A full size truck is my other near-future investment as well so i'll be covered there.

Also, how much of a "seat-of-the-pants" difference is there really between, say...a 150hp and a 200hp motor? Or a 225hp vs a 250hp? Just wondering if the extra money is worth the extra 25-50hp...or if it's really just a negligible gain?
Old 04-17-09, 01:03 PM   #4
OrygunBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Really depends on what you are going to do with the new to you boat!

Are you just a fisherman or will you be taking a buddy and your girl friends out boarding and tubing.

If the latter is the answer, you really need a true fish and ski not just a duel console Bass Boat!

The HP issue is mostly if you are going to hot dog around or carry more people that just two. Fish and ski's are heavier than regular Bass Boats and should be powered at max HP for quality performance. Bass boats should be powered close to the max HP also within 25 HP of Max but personally I would max it out!!
Old 04-18-09, 05:41 AM   #5
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First off I wanna say that for the most part that fish n ski models are usually very underpowered. If possible when you start really deciding on which rig to gettry and max the boat out with the hp. You will be much happier with the performance of the boat. Even if you dont use the hp all the time its there just in case you need it. As far as the difference between 150 up to even 300 hp there is a BIG difference. But on the same hand I can take you for a ride in a little hydrostream thats powered by a 90 and have you grabbin for the handrails. Its not always the hp but the weight to hp ratio that makes a boat fly. For example........I have a Laser that before I started to rebuild was running a 115hp. It was a SOLID high 60to low 70 mph boat. There are a lot of boats out there with 200 and even 225 motors that wont run like that. So you see its the weight of the boat,........the hull.........and the way its loaded that all makes a difference.
Above all this I wanna point out the saftey issue........If you can handleand RESPECT high hp then its a good thing to have the bigger engines. Hitting the water at high speed is like hitting a brick wall. Trust me I KNOW!
Old 04-18-09, 06:30 AM   #6
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Don't have any advice other than do your homework and dont jump at the first thing you see. You have to remember that boats are about as sound an investment as a home heater that only burns on andrew jackson denominated currency or higher. If this is for tinkering, showing off an going fast you will spend 15 Gs, but if you just wanna fish you can get by even with a new tracker for less. Maybe not glass unless you go goodly used.

Last edited by WTL; 04-18-09 at 07:01 AM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 01:03 PM   #7
travis1286
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys! I am leaning towards getting a true bass boat, unless of course I find a great deal on a fish & ski. My plan is to get the hang of boating this summer and use that information to buy a boat next year that suits me best. Fishing is my primary objective right now, but i'd like to have something that has enough 'umph' to have some fun when the fish aren't biting.

I never considered the power-to-weight factor, thanks for pointing that out. I'll be sure to max out the hp (or close to it) on whatever I get to take full advantage of it.
Old 04-19-09, 08:37 AM   #8
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Laser as usual has really pegged this one and PLEASE do not take the safety issue lightly make sure you USE the lanyard and Life Jackets They can make a difference between life and death
Not trying to scare you please do not thing that have fun boating is a blast just be safe.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 09:18 AM   #9
travis1286
BassFishin.Com Member

The safety aspect of the sport is one of the first things i'd practice when first starting out...but I do appreciate the reminder.

What about towing tubes and skiers behind a bass boat? That'd be pretty cool to do once in a while...i've read about some people using the tie down loops at the rear of the boat when towing. Is this a good practice or would a tripod be a better way to go? I wouldn't want to mangle the deck of my boat...
Old 04-19-09, 03:55 PM   #10
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You might look into fishing a few tournaments as a co-angler, so that you can compare the fishability and general characteristics of different boats.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 07:39 AM   #11
travis1286
BassFishin.Com Member

Good idea mark, i'll look into that.
Old 04-23-09, 10:09 AM   #12
MarcBorger
BassFishin.Com Member

Fish and Skis generally have poorer resale value than traditional bass boats as many people start with them and then realize they want a pure bass boat for better storage and fishability.
MarcBorger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.