Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 05-02-09, 09:21 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wink Anchoring Ideas...

After a couple of very windy days out fishing by myself on Patoka (I got blown onto some unseen rocks and scratched my prop all up ), I have decided to give more serious thought to my current anchor setup, which consists of an 18lb Waterspike and 100' of rope. It works just fine when I've got a buddy with me...I let him idle the boat up while I take up the slack, and I can lift the anchor safely when we've just passed it. However, when I'm alone, I don't dare use it for fear of not being able to get it "un-anchored" or getting the rope wrapped around the prop, etc.

I'm thinking about adding a power winch type setup where I can take up the slack from the helm. I see them advertised for as low as $125 online.

Do any of you have one of these? Where do you have it mounted? I guess ideally, an anchor roller should be right on the nose of the boat, but my typical trolling motor mount is right there. I would think to remotely pull it up anywhere else would be begging for some major hull dings and scratches. Any suggestions? I was thinking of maybe dyeing the last few feet of anchor rope red or something, so I would know I needed to pull the anchor over the side, but once again, that will leave me away from the helm in the wind.

Either that...or I need some new friends with the ability to spend more than one day a month not being their wife's whipping boy.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 09:26 PM   #2
zooker

what kind of bottom?? a water spike is a royal b!tch to break loose..

look for more friends...

zooker
Old 05-02-09, 09:37 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Patoka has just about everything...muddy, gravelly/rip-rap areas, lots of weeds in summer, oh, and the odd tree here and there (Patoka means "log-on-bottom" in some Indian tongue )
Old 05-02-09, 10:20 PM   #4
zooker

i'd use a river anchor it looks like your stock mushroom only more like a boat prop..water spikes don't half way release the way ya want them to..

if i was using a water spike again i would buy a large bouy the big round red ones add a fast snap or bolt latch carabiner.

trust me this works.. you tie up like normal..when you want to up and move hook the bouy on the anchor line. crank the boat up and ease off the bouy goes down and yanks the anchor loose from the bottom. stop after you feel the anchor release from the bottom. the bouy floats up with your anchor on it you simply pull your rope in and done no honkin on it..

it's a trick i learned deep water achoring for trout at night with the big boat -30 pound water spike-and 500 feet of rope..it normally took 3 of us to pull the anchor up.. this way just the mate would haul in the line and bouy..

zooker
Old 05-02-09, 11:17 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Um...how exactly does the buoy go down to the anchor? I'm a little fuzzy on that, Zooker.
Old 05-03-09, 09:03 AM   #6
zooker

using the bolt carabiner you put it on the anchor rope. you start the big moter and start driving off this forces the bouy down to the anchor. the bouy pulls the anchor and floats it up..like i said once ya feel the anchor release the bottom ya stop the boat and let the bouy float up with the anchor..

zooker
Old 05-03-09, 12:16 PM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Patoka has just about everything...muddy, gravelly/rip-rap areas, lots of weeds in summer, oh, and the odd tree here and there (Patoka means "log-on-bottom" in some Indian tongue )

Sounds like Patoka would be a good name brand for a toilet
Old 05-03-09, 01:47 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Sounds like Patoka would be a good name brand for a toilet
Cummon now...the Indiana DNR prohibits any release of untreated human waste into any lake, river, or stream. So if you're gonna do it...best wait a real, real long time...then you can ask the game warden as you point proudly to your floater, "Does that look human to you?"
Old 05-03-09, 01:56 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
using the bolt carabiner you put it on the anchor rope. you start the big moter and start driving off this forces the bouy down to the anchor. the bouy pulls the anchor and floats it up..like i said once ya feel the anchor release the bottom ya stop the boat and let the bouy float up with the anchor..

zooker
Wow, Zooker...I hate to be dense on this, but I just can't seem to visualize it. You have an anchor rope...anchor on one end on the bottom, boat on the other end, and buoy in the middle. So when you "start driving off" the buoy gets forced underwater, and then the buoyancy of the buoy lifts the anchor?

Um, what happens when you run out of rope and you tear the cleat out of your gunwale?
Old 05-03-09, 05:03 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Okay...I watched a youtube video on using a buoy...it worked, but his buoy stayed on the surface, and he kept driving until the anchor hit the buoy...it was sort of stuck to the buoy. Maybe I'll get one of those instead...a lot cheaper than a power winch...and no work to install.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.