Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-01-06, 02:46 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Is pinching the tail to measure legal in tournies?

Kevin,
I see your thread on weighing the fish and measuring, but all the tournaments I've been in , the officials don't allow you to pinch the tail..
Can anyone out there tell me if they are or not allowed to do this at weigh in time? I know the North eastern federation that I fished in never allowed this during the 90s..does the FLW or any other group you fellow anglers allow this? It's no biggie to me, as long as we have consistancy in all weights and measures during the forum contest,
just curious..
I have seen it done in redfish and other species type tournies, just haven't come across it personally.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 08:11 PM   #2
basser087
BassFishin.Com Member

It depends on the local and state laws. Just as the size limit varies so does how the fish are measured.
basser087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 08:52 PM   #3
JB

Consistancy is the only thing that matters in wieghins , so I see no problem with doing it in this manner, was just curious lol
Old 02-01-06, 09:05 PM   #4
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i pinched the tail on mine but cant do it while takin a picyure
Old 02-01-06, 09:22 PM   #5
Futurepro22
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Futurepro22

allmost all tournaments say from tip to tail.. which can be squeezed together if needed.. or something to that affect
Futurepro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 09:37 PM   #6
Fish2win

My experience is that it depends on the weigh master and the trail. I have seen a lot of small club or wildcat torneys where they did but have never witnessed it in a tourney that say had a $100.00 or more entry fee.My over all thought is no. Fish2win

PS, here is a relatively new concept that some guys I know started a few years ago. I have perticipated the last couple of years. It makes for a real competetive tournament. You get say 20 guys. Each guy puts $100.00 in the pot. Everyone goes out and fishes the same time. You can only weigh one fish, The biggest fish takes all. If you catch the lunker you won $2000. Win once a year and you fished free. Win twice and you made money. It will really hone your big fish skills.It also keeps the cheating down especially when you fish 6 different lakes and each tounament is a blind draw the morning of the tournament. No one knows where it will be until 2 hours before the contest.
Old 02-01-06, 10:13 PM   #7
Bendersbe16

Send a message via AIM to Bendersbe16

fish2win..lol thats a great idea..but the only thing is here i dont know to many bass fisherman besides bassin4ever but that sounds like a fun deal u got going on there!

What do u call a life dedacated to fishing?
I call it a life time well spent
Bendersbe16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 10:15 PM   #8
JB

fishtowin,
I got in one of those one time and won...it takes balls to put up that kinda money tho..I had 5 nice bass on a buzzbait in treetops pattern..it was awesome!
Old 02-02-06, 06:21 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Excellant format there fish. Done that a few years back myself. Only problem was and this occurs no matter where you at is the whiners. You know the story always a bad apple or 2 in the sack.
Old 02-02-06, 08:37 PM   #10
lizardsrule

The BFL/FLW do pinch the tail together. I read that awhile ago, last year probably.

Lizards
Old 02-02-06, 09:06 PM   #11
Marty

I don't know if tournament trails have their own rules or just allow what the state allows. Some states are different, but in New York, you can spread or compress the tail and have the mouth open or closed, so you can legally do whichever yields the greatest length.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 12:41 AM   #12
Fish2win

Only problem was and this occurs no matter where you at is the whiners. You know the story always a bad apple or 2 in the sack.

I know the type Laser but the truth is if you are not ready and prepared tomlose the money dont enter the contest. It like BD says . Some days you win most days they win. The odds are good. 1 in 20. its a gamble but then tourneys are legalized gambling. I also cant stand the guys that always have an excuse that was some out of control problem. I call it losers limp. You know what I mean. They cant except a loss like a man so they blame it on equipment or the weather etc. The thing is the conditions are the same and the water is the same for every one at the same time. One time this group drew a lake went and fished and no one brought a fish in. We just gave everybody there money back and declared a 20 way tie.The sad thing was I saw a buddy of mine put a 14 inch fish back because he knew that a 14 inch fish didnt have a chance( it usually takes a 5 or 6 to win).After the tourney was over I ask him how it felt to turn a 2000 fish back. I thought he was going to cry. The concept is great. It takes the right group. These guys do it by invatation only and you have to be recommended and voted in.It does not have to be 100 it could be any amount. Fish2win
Old 02-03-06, 06:04 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

Personally I would jumpon this type of format right away. A cool 2k for a biggun is like to YEAHS in 1 day. Money AND a big bass.
Old 02-03-06, 09:14 PM   #14
Fish2win

Laser, I think your prop has a bit to much bow lift. Just kidding. That is one real radical picture. He must have went over backwards just after that was snapped. Cool Pic, Fish2win
Old 02-04-06, 05:48 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

NAW!!!!!! LOL That was a case of foolin around with too MANY ponies (if you can have that) on the back of the boat. A couple of pinches on the throttle and WOOHOO just dont get carried away. But I gotta tell ya your comment sho gotta laugh outtaa me.
Old 02-04-06, 07:14 AM   #16
Christopherkeene9

Florida state regs are mouth closed and tail pinched.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 05:49 PM   #17
bassnman30

I thought the question was whether you could pinch the tail of a bass when weighing it ?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.