Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-09, 03:54 PM   #126
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

I bought an ugly stick light a few weeks ago - it was a waste of money - sure the rod is durable and all but it has absolutely no back bone - a 2 pound fish bends the rod nearly to the handle...doesnt cast very well either...just my experience...I'd say you get what you pay for, but i dont feel it really worth the 45$.
vabeachbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 06:16 PM   #127
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

I am limited by needing a two piece rod. I guess 99% of Bass fisherman use a boat or have an pickup or SUV to stow their 1pc rods. Us city boys need to break that stuff in half to fit it in the trunk. This appears to severely limit my options. It appears the only 2pc Clarus is the 66 Medium Fast. The CSC66M2A. This site shows if they are one or two piece.
http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-...ting-rods.html

@Jim80 I am having trouble ID'ing the exact Quantum you recommended. I didnt see anything at Walmart online but here is the official site.

http://www.quantumfishing.com/prod_c...dsselector.htm
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 06:22 PM   #128
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

randy you can fit a rod in the car if you put the butt end up on the dash by the windshield and angle it back to the back window, or open a window and put the tips through at an angle pointing up. Taking off the reels makes it less in your way also. I meet woody over at the lake in my wifes cavalier with six seven foot rods, the back seat folds down to the trunk.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 07:05 PM   #129
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

i can definitely cram my gear into the car interior, poles a bit bent. But I store all my gear in the car. I got long ago tired of schlepping it all in and out of the house. So the trunk it is. Plus, sneaking out during lunch to get a couple casts in - i just break it down and am ready to fish at a moments notice. Speaking of which, I just finished straightening out the eye of the spook, which got all bent from the 4 pounder in my avatar... I am off for a few twilight casts.

Last edited by RandyHolt; 08-16-09 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-16-09, 07:15 PM   #130
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Randy i could not find the rod on their website or quantum's website either maybe they replaced it with a different model and thats how wally world ended up with the ones they had , best i could say is go in and see if they have them , it is a blue rod with im8 blank.
And like I said great for the money .

Jim
Old 08-17-09, 07:20 AM   #131
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Randy, most big brands won't have many two piece rods if any at all.

I think you're best bet for 2 piece selection would be a store's brand, like cabela's or BPS. Check out the Cabela's Fish Eagle II. It was the first trigger rod I owned and it's was great for that price range. It'll sure beat the heck out of an ugly stick, performance and sensitivity wise (you just can't tie it into a knot )

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...372&hasJS=true

model GC663-2 is 6'6" MH 2 piece (on sale for 30 bucks right now)
model GC702-2 is 7' MH 2 piece (79.99, still a good price for the rod, especially since it fits your requirements.)

Neither of these rods list the action, but a lot of sites don't unless it's something special like a crankbait rod, so I'd assume both of these are Fast action, which is perfect for plastics and jigs.

So like I said before, length is really a preference when it comes to most of the bottom bouncing baits like soft plastics. I prefer a longer 7' rod, but either will work for the applications you're using it for.

BB
Old 08-17-09, 09:33 AM   #132
JB

I picked up one of the cherrywood rods for a quick replacement of one of my rods that the eyelet broke, it snapped into between the 2nd and third eyelet, I looked at it and its like a hollow tube...isnt there supposed to be a blank in there? Lol....
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 09:44 AM   #133
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

I actually had used a Galyans Brand for many years that held up fine. BPS sales staff recommened the BPS Tourney Special and one other BPS brand -Graphite something. Maybe I need to explore those a bit more. Again, when I was there, they didnt have them in stock so I went ugly early to get my baitcaster wet asap.

To be honest, I am surprised the big brands dont offer up more 2pc offerings. There are a LOT of bass fisherman from all over. Most all my fish friends only use 2pc - same boat as me, they dont only fish from a boat and dont have a SUV. Outside of the eyelets being a hair off and possibly impeding my casting distance a tad, I see no way they have limited me catching even one fish. At list Shimano has a 6'6 2 pc offering; I may be fine with the medium / fast.
Old 08-17-09, 11:46 AM   #134
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I love how this three year old thread has taken off.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 01:41 PM   #135
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I picked up one of the cherrywood rods for a quick replacement of one of my rods that the eyelet broke, it snapped into between the 2nd and third eyelet, I looked at it and its like a hollow tube...isnt there supposed to be a blank in there? Lol....
I'm confuzzled, JB. They're all hollow tubes. Whatcha mean?
Old 08-17-09, 09:13 PM   #136
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
At list Shimano has a 6'6 2 pc offering; I may be fine with the medium / fast.
I personally like Cabela's lower end rods better than BPS's.

Also, if you're fishing just plastics, the M should be fine, but if you're fishing jigs, you'll want a MH, especially if you're using a 6'6" opposed to a 7'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I'm confuzzled, JB. They're all hollow tubes. Whatcha mean?
I'm a bit confused too... They are all hollow tubes.

BB
Old 08-17-09, 10:43 PM   #137
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

@Dave I post alot on other boards and folks are quick to point out existing threads of similar content, so I brought him back from the archives. My questions pertained to the Ugly.

@BB144 I do work the jig more than any of my friends. That said, I only use it about 10% of the time. I used to go 90% soft plastics but have forcing myself to use cranks and swim and jigs and everything that might wake the dead in the dog days of summer here in DC. I will check out the Cabela's offerings. I have used a lot of 66Meds in the past with my jig and do catch fish with them. I work the ~1/2oz usually but vary it up.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.