Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 05-05-13, 10:01 PM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default It's been a crazy week...

We headed up to our cabin the last weekend in April to open things up for another year. We knew the lake was still iced over and they had snow up there, but we weren't expecting 18" in the driveway and on the sidewalk, steps and deck. It was almost 70 degrees when we got there on Friday afternoon, so for the first time in my life I got to shovel snow while wearing shorts.

When we closed up last fall, we never dreamed it would be our last trip up there with our dog, Lucky, who died this past November. But we adopted another rescue dog at the end of December, so our now 11-month old girl, Cassie, made her first trip to the cabin with us.

As seen from our living room window, there was no open water on our shoreline as of Saturday morning...

But by Sunday morning, the first hints of ice-out starting were visible...

Even though she didn't get to run around in the yard at all, Cassie was still tuckered out on Saturday night from checking out all the new surroundings inside the cabin.

When we got back home from the lake on Sunday afternoon, it was 80 degrees here and the grass was actually starting to finally green up a bit. Then Wednesday and Thursday happened. We got about 2-3 inches of wet snow on Wednesday night (May 1), so I took advantage of that and built my first ever May snowman.

Even though there was a forecast of 6-9 inches overnight, I figured we probably already had about all we were going to get...but boy was I WRONG! We ended up with 15.5" of HEAVY, WET snow when all was said and done. Here is what it looked like when we left for work on Thursday morning.

Sadly, here is what it looked like when we arrived home from work that afternoon. Our "monster maple" lost several branches and a couple of good-sized limbs due to the weight of all the snow on them.

Here's hoping this week is a little bit more "normal."
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-13, 11:25 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That was a crazy week all across the upper Midwest. Too bad about your big maple tree. That heavy snow sure does damage. Must have felt very weird shoveling snow in shorts! hahaha Cassie is a real cutie. She's going to have many good trips with you two for sure. This has just been a very odd spring for just about everyone.
Old 05-06-13, 11:07 AM   #3
bassboogieman

Global Warming my... That's just unreal to see snow like that in May, in the continental US unless maybe high in the Rockies.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 02:59 PM   #4
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Global Warming my... That's just unreal to see snow like that in May, in the continental US unless maybe high in the Rockies.

Climate change, global warming is misleading. If you don't think Climate Change is real, well just look around
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 09:27 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

snowing up there in may, flooding here. some towns in tenn had so much hail it looked like snow. got cold here for this time of year too. we SHOULD be in the lower 80's now, barely hitting the 70's.....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.