Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 05-03-09, 09:11 PM   #1
Wags
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Wags Send a message via Yahoo to Wags
Question Having Fuel line probs?????

Hey guys, I have an older Ranger fishing boat with a 150hp Merc on it. Yesterday we were out fishing and after the initial take-off and a few other start-ups to make smaller moves.....it was running great, then all of a sudden it just stalled out. Could not get it started, primer ball would not firm up and it seamed it was not getting any or enough fuel, or we were out of gas. (Guages are not reliable on this thing) It was turning over strong, so not a battery issue. So we took it to put gas in it this morn and it seemed to top out on 1 tank after just taking in a few gallons, so I ruled out the tanks were empty. I tried to squeeze the primer ball and still nothing, seemed to be getting no fuel yet. We took off the gas line connection to the OB, looked at it (as if it was magically gonna tell us something) and put it back on, then tried the ball again and it firmed up immidiately. So we took it to the lake, started right up and ran it around on both tanks, seemed fine? Then same thing happened and could not get it started,...no firmness in primer ball ect. Any ideas???? Fuel filter?? bad primer ball?? air in fuel lines? Vapor look??? The problem seems to be between the tanks and the motor...runs great as long as it was getting fuel??
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 09:40 PM   #2
Gearhed
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Gearhed

Collapsed fuel line?
Gearhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 09:42 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i read and was just thinking the same thing. if it were me i would replace the entire line from the tank to the motor. probably old and breaking down. which reminds me i need to check mine,lol.
Old 05-03-09, 10:04 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

my money is on a bad check valve in your primer bulb. mine went bad on my optimax and it acted kinda like that. it's really easy to check. just take the primer bulb off and try to blow through it from both directions. you should be able to blow air through it from one direction only, if you can blow air through it from both directions then that is your problem. if you blow through it and it seems to be ok then shake it around a little and try it again to make sure because mine would work ok once in a while but if i shook it enough i could blow air through it from both directions. this would probably be your cheapest fix too, i think my new primer bulb cost me like $7 or something like that.
Old 05-03-09, 10:15 PM   #5
Basscrazie

Funny you should mention as i am rebuilding all my carbs and replacing my fuel lines tommorow to try and solve this idle good and then bad same on starting.I have not done them yet and had the boat for almost a year and i just need to know for myself all this is in tip top shape.It does sound like old lines and maybe sucking air at your connection.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 10:21 PM   #6
Wags

Great advise guys...Carolina..I will try to check that this week...and Bama...at our age...most of our lines are old and broken down..ughhhh. I know how ya feel bro
Old 05-04-09, 07:01 PM   #7
boater

could be Ethonol related I understand the stuff ruind the fuel lines might try replaceing bulb and line.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 06:21 AM   #8
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First off boater is correct. Etanol will kill older lines. Replace ALL fuel lines on your rig. Even though ou might have a collapsed wall {fuel lines have a inner and outer layer} the buld shoulda pumped up and stayed hard. I feel like your tank vent is probably restricted. Alot of fuel problems arise from a tank vent line not working properly including......damage to the bulb and improper pressure reaching the carbs. In the north the ethanol is a bigger issue than it is down here. Put a water seperator inline while replacing the fuel line and bulb. If your gonna let the boat set for awhile before running it again leave it with little to no fuel in it. Ethanol ATTRACTS water...the more fuel the more there is to atract water. Keep Stabil ethanol treatment in it. Phase seperation {what ethanol does} has been linked to several several blown powerheads.
Old 05-07-09, 06:34 PM   #9
zooker

any one want to learn exactly what e-10 will do to your out board. send me a im wih your e-mail addy..i have an e-mail from boattest.com on the subject..

a 10 micron water filter is recomended..

zooker
Old 05-09-09, 10:09 AM   #10
Wags

I replaced the primer bulb...still no go. I took it in to the shop and the mechanic squeezed the primer bulb and it wouldn't even re-expand let alone draw gas. I am assuming a collapsed fuel line. I stored it for the winter with about 3-4 gallons in each tank, and added the Stabil. Would you suggest that I run the tanks dry?...or is it ok that I left a few gallons in??
Old 05-09-09, 11:33 AM   #11
bamabassman

just add new fuel to what you have, and maybe add a little seafoam. it should be fine i think. gonna smoke alot with the seafoam, so don't freak out.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.