Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-16-12, 01:51 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Input on front drag vs rear drag on spinning reals

I had/have a disagreement on this subject. Another angler says there is no difference except the rear drag makes adjusting while fighting a fish, the rear drag is easier, so better.
I disagree!
First the discs on a front drag are larger (dia.) hence smoother.
The rear drag is harder to disassemble when cleaning and being in the rear more suseptible to getting dirt, sand, grime from setting pole down. (more of a shorebusting and live bait challenge)
Maybe minor but still...front drag doesn't have to travel through the whole reel hence less parts, less wieght plus again, smoother.
NO high end reels come in rear drag....there has to be a reason, right?
Now the Shimano Symetre is the only reel I know of that comes in both setups, front and rear drag.
It's mid-range in pricing, around a $100.
Now there are alot of Shimano lovers around here so what do you folks think.
And anyone use both?
And what do you think?

Lastly from what I've been told and learned was that you should ideally never adjust a drag while bringing in a fish. But things happen or our minds are on watching the boat load of girls that just slowly went past. (Some look at the DEER, some look at the DEARS)
And we all at one time or other needed or felt a need to mess with the drag during a fight.
So give me your ideas and thoughts anglers.
On the drag, not the deer.
Old 08-16-12, 05:41 PM   #2
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have both kinds. Three fronts and one rear. It doesn't matter to me either way. I think the size of the drag washers is marginally more important than a gram or two of weight. I caught this last weekend on the rear drag while trying to get some panfish for the freezer. I was damn glad to have it where it was when I loosened it up.

Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 08:24 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Always front for me. Like you said, there aren't any really good spinning reels made with rear drags anyways. Nothing in the price range of my spinning reels comes with rear drag.

However, I'd go with front drag regardless of whether it was offered. The main reasons are that front drags are smoother and more adjustable. Both of these aspects are extremely important for with the light tackle, especially the line, I use with spinning reels.

BB
Old 08-16-12, 11:02 PM   #4
kennethdaysale

All my spinning reels are Shimano and all have front drags. I do remember having a reel years ago with a rear drag and some kind of quick sliding lever type of deal that you could flip to increase/decrease pressure real fast mid-fight. I kinda liked that but agree that front drag is the way to go since like most people I mostly use spinning gear for light line finesse stuff where drag performance is critical.
Old 08-17-12, 02:26 PM   #5
Z521Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

I would say the front is best, less parts and right to the hart of the function in the first place. It would seem and I am not expert but with a rear drag system the mechanisms required just means more parts, the more parts the opportunity for failure. I am sure it comes down to preference but I have not considered switching to a rear in favor of a front system.
Z521Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 08:00 PM   #6
Marty

The general consensus is that front drags are better. However, just because they're better doesn't mean rear drags don't work. The original Zebco Cardinals had rear drags and they were pretty darn good reels.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 02:40 PM   #7
DaveW731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
The general consensus is that front drags are better. However, just because they're better doesn't mean rear drags don't work. The original Zebco Cardinals had rear drags and they were pretty darn good reels.
The Cardinals were GREAT reels and that, IMO helps prove the point. No current rear drag reel compares.
Z521 makes a great point; the less moving parts, the better. Also, I do on occasion adjust the drag while a fish is on and have never had a problem doing so with a front drag.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 03:22 PM   #8
DVT Mike

Ease of maintenance makes a front drag more desireable IMO but performance wise on the water there is little or no measurable difference.
Old 08-27-12, 11:22 AM   #9
tholmes
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
Ease of maintenance makes a front drag more desireable IMO but performance wise on the water there is little or no measurable difference.

^^ I agree on the ease of maintenance.

It's really a matter of personal preference. I've always preferred front drag mostly because that's what I learned with.

Tom
tholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 11:30 PM   #10
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Personal preference IMO. I thought about getting a rear drag Symetyre but like the front drag so figured if it ain't broke.....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.