Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-17-12, 09:47 AM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Ideal Fall patterns and a question-long winded

all the cold comming threw is i believe pushing my NC lake to fall patterns. I have been fishng coves that run a few miles before breaking off in to big area, almost like smaller lakes, at the end of these smaller lakes there are OLD stone dams( no gates just concrete dams) these damns push fresh water from above smaller ponds. I got on google earth, i notice above this stone dams there is the above mentioned ponds, well what filters the ponds is creeks. so would you consider the creeks filtering into the ponds then streaming down the damn to the back of coves a main source of freshwater to the lake. I went out fishing, In my lake we have 3 coves just like the above, I fished all 3 of these coves sunday evening, Most of the time the top of the water looked funny, like there was current right under it, then it would disaperar move to another spot. Bass were jumping fully out of the air, i mean we could see there bright red gills, it is how far they jumped. Does that mean shad were in the ball( fall paterns). I have always read about it, but this is my first time seeing it. - IF any of above confuses you let me know...

second question is, are bass more spooked than gills. My trolling motor is chit, doesnt work, so i am cutting the engine off and coasting to these places and literally fishing the moment. even with all the above bass are jumping all around us, i couldnt catch a single one, did they know were there? I am thinking that the reason the bass wasnt hitting, the heard our motor comming in. I was using weightless fluke, on topwater with sink and jerk pause, topwater spook, lipless chrome crank, white spinneerbait and gill colored swimjig, nothing.
Old 09-17-12, 12:12 PM   #2
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I can't really directly answer the fall fishing question but this time of year I found that if there's bait fish schooling followed by fish surface feeding, this is usually the start of the 'fall frenzy". Now if your seeing alot of jumps and surface feeding you may want to try a surface popper.
Next being NO fluke expert but you may want to try a wieghted 1/8 or even a 1/16 wieght. When you pop or jerk the bait be sure your pole is facing the cast and jerk or pop with a upwards motion. This brings the action back towards the top or surface, just like bait fish feeding on bugs do.
Most everyone that fluke fishes frequently fish them wieghtless but it doesn't work well for me either but the 1/8 wieghted hooks work well....on everything it seems, bass, pike, wallies, cats, EVEN CAUGHT A SUNNY ON A 4 INCHER.
Another thing I feel is that in the fall color seems to matter more than any other time of year. The fish key in on the baitfish schools and thier SIGHT feeding and they seem to key in on the color of the bait cause they don't use any other senses to feed during the school feeds. Wrong color match and GREAT action still may get ignored.
Last but not least, try lippless in similar colors as the bait fish. Bring it in how ever you want but once you get close to the bait fish stop retrieve, not long cause the fish are feeding near the surface than yo-yo through the school. Remember that alot of yo-yoing is done deeper but in this case you want to stay in the top quarter of the water column, where the baitfish are. Alot of larger bass have a tendency to let the younguns do the chasing (work) and they sit below waiting and snatching crippled fish that got struck but not eaten by the younguns. Hence the yo-yoing successes. Now I feel on drop of the yo-yo semi-slack line or even slack line (if your a line watcher) works best. Looks like a 'crippled but not eaten' baitfish.
Now I have them but they are not a go to for me but alot of anglers feel the Red Eye shads have a great flutter fall. Any lipless will do and if you want more action on the fall 'twitch during the drop.
Remember if thier school feeding they have LOTS of choices to strike at. Bass spook easier than gills but if they are feeding they won't go far and will come back. Now the scaring of the baitfish would concern me more. They'll move and may not return as quick. No baitfish, no Bass. I know this is a bad word to alot of boaters but try anchoring a little ways away from target and then fan cast the whole area, repeatedly with in reason of course. You maybe surprised on how well the fish near these feed spots are biting. They also have a tendency to snatch and swim out of the feed spot to swallow or whatever and then return to get more. You toss in front of them something thats close looking (color) and they will eat it and save themselves the trip back.
Old 09-17-12, 01:48 PM   #3
wallywallace

Thanks alot, on they way out,we did anchor a bit but the shad only schooled for like 2 minutes at a time
Old 09-17-12, 09:35 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have found that when the bass are chasing schools of shad, if I try to use my troller to get closer, it ends the feeding activity immediately. So I try to use it sparingly when working schooling bass. My 3 favorite baits for working shad busting bass schools are a 3 inch Xcaliber popper worked agressivly on the surface, a 5 inch Spook, and a soft bodied jerkbait thrown right into the school. All 3 work very well for me. I've caught some with lipless cranks, worked as Joe described, but the other 3 baits produce best for me.
Old 09-17-12, 10:33 PM   #5
wallywallace

Thanks y'all, I am excited for this weekend

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.