Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-03-11, 11:07 PM   #1
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Boat Safety

With the ice just coming off the lakes here in Michigan I'm sure there are a lot of people wanting to get out early (for crappie). Make sure you are wearing your life jacket when out of the cold water, if you fall in you will be in trouble really quickly.

The weather up here was sleet/snow/rain and wind this morning and this guy went out with his kid anyway: Link Not only did he lose his life but nearly lost his kid's life too. An accident like this is bad because it was preventable. I've been out in some pretty bad weather and conditions but try to stay as safe as possible. Just keep your wits about you and don't let this happen.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 11:17 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Great thread! A spare change of clothes in the boat might save your life too if you fall in cold water.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 08:55 AM   #3
JESTERxHEAD
BassFishin.Com Member

hand warmers can save a life too!

many times breaking ice with my boat....... fall in and the clock it tickin'
JESTERxHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 07:15 PM   #4
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Last week at Kentucky Lake we encountered this problem. An older gentleman slipped off of his boat and hit his nose on the dock on his way into the water. He managed to yell at a passing boat and the two guys on the boat came to his rescue, but couldnt lift teh guy out. Buy the end, there was me, my uncle, my father, and the two guys who were just fishin by all trying to lift this guy out of the water. Then someone else came by and simply said... why doesnt he just walk to the shore... so just remember that when teh adrenaline is flowing, sometimes the brain doesnt work.

This guy was very lucky that we were all in the vicinity to help him or he may have stood right there until hypothermia set in not even thining about walking to shore. Additionally he was lucky it happened within yards of his heated cabin and fresh clothes, otherwise he may have been in a real pickle.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 08:41 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Last week at Kentucky Lake we encountered this problem. An older gentleman slipped off of his boat and hit his nose on the dock on his way into the water. He managed to yell at a passing boat and the two guys on the boat came to his rescue, but couldnt lift teh guy out. Buy the end, there was me, my uncle, my father, and the two guys who were just fishin by all trying to lift this guy out of the water. Then someone else came by and simply said... why doesnt he just walk to the shore... so just remember that when teh adrenaline is flowing, sometimes the brain doesnt work.

This guy was very lucky that we were all in the vicinity to help him or he may have stood right there until hypothermia set in not even thining about walking to shore. Additionally he was lucky it happened within yards of his heated cabin and fresh clothes, otherwise he may have been in a real pickle.
I agree, if just a few parts of that ordeal were different that whole thing could have had a very different and sad ending. Glad you guys were there to help.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 02:18 PM   #6
Mono Man in IL
BassFishin.Com Member

Two young fellows failed to make the weigh in for a small local tournament on Lake Springfield this past Sunday. Conditions were very dangerous with sustained 35-40 mph winds gusting to 50 mph. Although many did, I wouldn't have launched a 21' 250hp glass boat let alone the narrow 14' 25hp aluminum boat these fellows went out in. The boat was found overturned later in the afternoon and two PFDs were found in the area. The bodies were recovered on Monday and Tuesday. It was reported both were good swimmers, but 5' to 6' swells and water temps in the low 50s made for a deadly situation. A very sad ending to what was their first tournament.
Mono Man in IL is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.