Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-27-10, 07:47 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default My pitching rod advice from KVD

Recently I had the good fortune to meet Kevin VanDam at the BPS in Portage IN. There were many fans who were waitting to meet him and he was taking it all in stride. He was very gracious with everyone signing many autographs. While I was talking to him, I asked him about what he would recommend in the way of a pitching rod for pitching jigs and soft plastics into heavy cover. As some of you will remember, I had a post in here recently asking the same advice. And I thought it would be helpful to others in here to hear what KVD had to say. I was surprised that he was so willing to take all the time I needed to answer my question, as there was a long line of folks behind me. He based part of his answer off of a couple factors. Fist off, Kevin asked me what kind of boat I was fishing from. I explained I fish from a small jonboat. Then this is what he advised. He explained that since I was fishing from a jon boat I would be making pitches from a lower elevation rather than from a higher platform as with a bass boat. Also he commented on my height. I'm fairly short at 5'6" tall. Taking that into consideration, and knowing I was going to be pitching into heavy cover, he recommended I go with a 6'10" to 7'2" casting rod, heavy power with an extra fast action. He said that a longer rod would be too awkward for me to work with due to being so low to the waters surface while in the jon boat and also being of shorter stature. He explained the need for a rod with a strong backbone for getting the bass out of cover but to also get a rod with some flex in the tip to allow easier pitching. There is a Shimano Crucial rod with all these exact features I'm taking a serious look at. Anyways, I just thought I would share this incase there was anyone else who was looking for a similar rod. I got the feeling that if I were a bit taller and fishing off of an elevated platform, he would of recommended a rod a bit longer, say 7'6". But thats just my after thought from what he had to say. I doubt KVD will be in here reading this post, but just in case he does, thanks again Kevin for the sound advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keith and Kevin VanDam.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	4635  
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 07:56 PM   #2
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

That's really awesome keith! Nice to know that some of the pros are great people, willing to take the time to talk, and help fellow fisherman out.
I've always heard how some professional athletes are still humble, while others are stuck on themselves. Heard a story from a guy running the pro shop at Centre Ice Arena (where the Red Wings train) on that very subject! (Fedorov is a douche).
I've always assumed pro bass fisherman were generally more down to earth than the major sports stars though.
At least we know KVD is!
Old 01-27-10, 08:01 PM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That's a great story!! Really cool!! I'm sure the vast majority of pro's are just like us, they sleep, eat and breathe fishing. They are willing to talk fishing with anyone that will listen!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 09:23 PM   #4
nmanley
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

I bought KVD's new book and he mentions exactly what you said in there on Pitching and also all your rods.
You will be a better fisherman if you can have rods that fit your body type and fishing platform. The guy admits being anal on the things he does but doesn't mean stupid.
nmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 10:02 PM   #5
3dkicker

I've got to agree that longer rods just don't work for everyone. You've got to find one that works for you. My 6'10" and 7' work real well for me. The 7'5" I have for punching mats is a little long for me. I wish it was 7' but they didn't make one that short.
Old 01-27-10, 10:25 PM   #6
rrw4258

Keith, that is cool you got to meet KVD... I have met him twice now and he was great when I got to meet him. Jimmy Houston and Hank Parker were also really nice to talk fishing with!

Ryan
Old 01-27-10, 10:34 PM   #7
bassinbob

I don't think KVD would slight anyone. I agree about them being a lot like us. Just love talkin fishin.
Old 01-27-10, 11:37 PM   #8
Boltzie

I have had the privilege to meet KVD, Jimmy Houston, Woo Daves, Ike, Marty Stone and Rick Clunn. All were very personable and willing to discuss anything you had to bring to the table. I personally talked to Rick Clunn about his BPS line of rods and reels, applications and general fishing info for over half an hour when he was at the Bass Pro in Gurnee a few years back. I could spend all day talking to him and picking his brain. I think in general that the pros are very down to earth and remember where they came from. It's always a treat to get to talk to them.
Boltzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 09:27 AM   #9
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

That's cool about what kvd said. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-29-10, 01:46 AM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

You should have asked him if he could get you one at his discount under the table. Just playing, it is always good to hear when the pros take the time to share their passion and opinions with the anglers that support them.
Old 01-29-10, 03:39 AM   #11
MO3N

KVD seems like a cool guy. I have been watching some of the movies on bps. Where he teaches some technique, and he seems like he enjoys passing info on to the sport.

as a side note I also think (at least from the videos) that KVD has the most attention to detail of any pro. after every hit, bass or almost every cast he will check his knot and first few inches of line. maybe I just didn't notice this in others but this is definitely something I will try and get in the habit of doing.
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 08:50 AM   #12
rrw4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
KVD seems like a cool guy. I have been watching some of the movies on bps. Where he teaches some technique, and he seems like he enjoys passing info on to the sport.

as a side note I also think (at least from the videos) that KVD has the most attention to detail of any pro. after every hit, bass or almost every cast he will check his knot and first few inches of line. maybe I just didn't notice this in others but this is definitely something I will try and get in the habit of doing.
You know, I have never thought about that, but from watching most of the elite series events that he has fished, you almost never see him lose a fish at the boat or during a fight. I also think that KVD does pay much more attention to details than some of the other pros. I once heard him say "control all the variables that you can when tournament fishing". He speaks the truth.

Ryan
Old 01-29-10, 11:03 AM   #13
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I think that's great advice. I very seldom go over 7' for anything, unless I'm strictly flipping. I'm much more comfortable with 7', and I'm 6'1".
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 12:02 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I completely agree. I use a 7' rod for pitching, and on the rare occasion that I do flip, I go with a 7'6". I'm only about 5'7" and fishing from a v-hull boat, so I find the 7' works good.

BB
Old 01-29-10, 12:41 PM   #15
Justin2729

That's really cool you got to meet him sounds like a great guy.
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.