Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-29-10, 08:16 PM   #1
Callin' In Slick
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spotted Bass anyone?

How about a newbie question. Anybody fish for spotted bass? There are some clear water reservoirs in my area (Birmingham, AL) which have rocky points and not a lot of cover. Word is they mostly produce spots. Are there baits and techniques better for spotted bass versus largemouth? Apparently, the fishing is mostly in deeper water over structure.....Any insights are greatly appreciated!
Old 01-29-10, 08:45 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I think spots and LM will generally hit the same baits.

I'd try a dropshot on the rocky points, crankbaits, football jigs, and maybe some jerkbaits.

BB
Old 01-30-10, 12:02 AM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I can't really say, cause we don't have spots around here, but I head that craw colored cranks work pretty good in spring.
Old 01-30-10, 12:22 AM   #4
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've caught all my spots on jigs and spinnerbaits. Not saying other stuff want work for you. I have never targeted spots that just happens to be the baits I'm using when I've hooked them.
Old 01-31-10, 11:04 PM   #5
g_rigor
BassFishin.Com Member

depending on the season, I've had the best luck with drop shots, shakey heads and jigging spoons. If you see them schooling on the surface try a rattle trap and if that doesn't work rig up a small fluke type bait with a 1/32 ounce split shot and throw it into the school and just let it sink with an occasional twitch and hang on. Good luck.
g_rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 12:21 AM   #6
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A kentucky will generally hit anything that a largie will. That being said, I wouldn't throw a 10" worm at them. Usually the most productive way I catch tons of spots is with a shaky head (bigger spots on a finesse jig w/a swim chunk trailer). If the kentuckys are schooling a trap works really good, as well as a crankbait. And if they are on a feeding frenzy I generally throw a super spook jr, a popp'r, or a fluke. Kentucky's like a little current so if you can find some flowing water that is also loaded with baitfish you could arguably have the most fun of your life.

I usually won't target spots specifically unless I need a quick limit since they only have to be 12" here, or if I'm looking for quantity instead of quality. They are fun to catch around here because there are so many of them. Around here if you know what you're doing you can catch 100+ fish in one day.
Old 02-04-10, 04:44 PM   #7
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Spots typically are a river fish ,but exist in man made lakes due to them being in the system prior to impoundment(cali being the exception).
They like more current than largemouths,bridge abutments,pilings,mooring cells,wing dams that break that current are top attractors,even in 60 ft of water.That does not mean they are that deep in the ohio river I used jerkbaits about 5 ft deep or number 5 shadraps on the parked barges,smaller spinnerbaits like 1/8 and 1/4,4 in worms like a sinko.
Smaller but more aggressive even a 10 in spot will attack a 6 in jerkbait,but best size is about 4-4 1/2 in..
Places like Bull Shoals yes they are deep but mostly can be found 5 to 10 ft deep all over the lake suspended on objects many of them manmade.
Not targeted a lot for T fishing as they just dont win anything,except perhaps the ohio river,where an 8 pd bag is tops.
Ive weighed in several 2 1/2 pders at 15 in here on ky lake and was glad to have them on that day,but a 2 1/2 pd fish wont win anything,here.
That said they are great fighters and a good start on any 5 fish stringer.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-04-10 at 04:52 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.