Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-15-11, 01:38 PM   #1
Donutman
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Rough day on the lake...

Just got my boat back from the mechanic and thought we'd try a new lake to fish. We were coming back in and got real shallow. Had the motor trimmed way up trying to avoid a stump field. Whats the proper way to get unstuck from skinny water? I gave it a little more gas and started searching for deeper water. Almost came to a stand still from the hull trudging through the mud, so I had the wife get as far up on the bow as she could and that helped a little. Causing such a mud cloud behind me, what damage can this do to a motor, or even the structural integrity of the boat? Does that dirt and debris get sucked up into the water pump and through out the motor?
On the way back and in 8-10 feet of water, I thought I'd get up on plane. I thought we were in a boat channel, buoys on either side of us. Probably doing around 20 when BAAMM! The boat listed and jumped to the port side and it felt like we had been in a car wreck. It even knocked the cowling off the motor. Before I could even react, it happened again. I guess we hit some stumps. Fearing I just put a hole in my hull, I flicked on the bilge and made a run for the docks. On the way there, a pleasure boat in distress waved us in. They asked us to tow them, but my transom is already not in a good way even before I hit those stumps. I went to go get help for them and hit another freaking stump while on plane. I noticed the entire boat shaking, so I killed the motor and trimmed it up. One ear of my prop is almost gone and another ear is curled up upon itself. We limped into the docks and got loaded. Couldn't see any real damage to the hull and pulling the drain plug revealed very little water.
So my questions are, whats the best way to get off a mud/sand bar? Should I have pushed through it like we did or killed it and done something else? I don't know exactly what a spun hub is, but it came to mind while doing it. Don't think I could have backed out of it.
Having hit those stumps going that fast, what damage could it have done to the motor and gear case? How do I check my prop shaft to see if it's bent? It seems to run fine except for the unbalanced prop, just asking for my own info.

Dave
Donutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 02:57 PM   #2
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Wow, and I thought a bad day was locking my keys in the Blazer and dropping my phone in the livewell. Glad you made it back in one piece, Dave.

I'm not that experienced, but I would be very worried about both the structual integrity of my boat hull and the potential for internal damage to the motor. I say get the whole rig to a mechanic.

Just my two cents...take it for what's worth
Old 08-15-11, 02:57 PM   #3
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

So you hit 3 different stumps while on plane, plus ran the motor in extremely shallow water? Do not pass "Go," do not collect $200....go straight to a good boat mechanic and get the whole thing looked at. You may have done significant damage to the lower unit and prop shaft, not to mention the fiberglass of the boat itself, if the hull made contact with any of those stumps.
Old 08-15-11, 07:41 PM   #4
woody

Donutman, I'm glad to hear that you and your wife didn't physically get hurt. Obviously it could have been much worse.

Well, I can tell you what I did when I "got stuck" in skinny water. Rather than using the big motor to try to get unstuck, I used the trolling motor (keeping it out of the mud) to get unstuck.

Were you using and aluminum or stainless steel prop? I would guess to say aluminum, after reading your description of the prop damage. The thing is, an aluminum prop can "absorb" much more of the impact, whereas a steel prop will "not give" sending damage to the lower unit.

Again, I'm glad that you and your wife are alright.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 09:39 PM   #5
lilmule

If its that skinny hop out,it will float higher,vibration was most likely caused by damaged prop,if no visible damage then replace prop and try again.
As far as sucking mud up yes can clog up water lines,but air shot in will generally clear it,was the motor peaing?As for internal motor damage from it not unless no water getting thru water is in a seperate jacket in the motor,not with the moving parts.
Think you have gotten lucky if no visible damage other than prop,cheapies available off ebay.
Do hope you remembered to tell someone about the pleasure boat in distress.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 10:28 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hey pal. i have bent over the tips of my prop too. all 3 of them. gonna cost me aorund $160.00 or so to get it refurbished. stump,rocks and logs are always a hazzard we goota keep a eye on. i did my damage at wheeler i think. got on some rocks somewhere. but we live and learn. sorry aobut it happening to you.
Old 08-16-11, 11:46 AM   #7
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Gel coat is a bit more flexible than fiberglass, so if possible look on the inside of the hull in the areas where you hit the stumps. Take a good light and check for stress cracks. Check the tabs where the transom joins the hull especially close. Saw a boat once hit a rock at speed, pulled the whole transom off the boat in one piece. 175 hp O/B hanging in the water by the fuel line and control and steering cables. Check your boat out real close or have someone that knows fiberglass do it for you.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.