Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-12, 12:39 PM   #1
olboy4
BassFishin.Com Member

Default IHSA BASS Tournaments

Hey everyone I have a friend who's son is going to be entering tournaments as a freshman competing against jrs and srs. He is a great fisherman and his primary knowledge is in bait fishing. If anyone has fished tournaments and could provide some advice it would be greatly appreciated. I will make sure when he is as big and bad as KVD that he gives credit where credit is due LOL.

Thanks,
Old 02-14-12, 03:00 PM   #2
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

lol, never fished major tournametns, have small pond and lake tounreys, won twice nothing big, Time is key
Old 02-14-12, 04:08 PM   #3
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Dioes he have to buy his own tackle?
Old 02-14-12, 05:56 PM   #4
olboy4
BassFishin.Com Member

He has his dads boat, will only need a few things tackle wise
Old 02-14-12, 06:39 PM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

If you give me an address, I'd be happy to send him some homemade spinnerbaits.
Old 02-14-12, 07:17 PM   #6
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm a senior in high school and have fished little tournament to some larger tournaments (over a hundred boats). Tournament fishing is so complex, mainly just finding a catching fish. But as pointers, I would tell him to stick to his strengths. If he is confident in a jig or whatever and he catchin decent fish with it, don't give it up by trying to catch em on an alabama rig. Tell him to fish hard all day, never give up, and try to learn from every experience. He will get better as it goes along by recognizing what he did well and what he did wrong.
Old 02-15-12, 02:36 AM   #7
carolina-rig-01

I have been fishing tournaments for several years. I eat, sleep, and breath it. I would be more than happy to help him out with some advice, just let me know what he needs advice with and I will help him out as best as I can.
Old 02-15-12, 10:41 AM   #8
olboy4
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I have been fishing tournaments for several years. I eat, sleep, and breath it. I would be more than happy to help him out with some advice, just let me know what he needs advice with and I will help him out as best as I can.
He will be starting out this year for the first time using lures. I'm sure that he has a little bit of experience though. I guess what would you tell your kid if he said he wants to start fishing Tournaments.
Old 02-15-12, 12:45 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by olboy4 View Post
He will be starting out this year for the first time using lures. I'm sure that he has a little bit of experience though. I guess what would you tell your kid if he said he wants to start fishing Tournaments.
The biggest piece of advice I could give him is something I struggle with myself, but I am improving. STAY POSITIVE! No matter how bad things are going, stay positive. You can't play the game mad! I won a tournament last year where I had one of the worst morning I can remember. If it could go wrong it did, twice. I didn't even have a fish in the boat by 12:30. I finally sat down on the front deck and calmed myself down. I had 2 and a half hours before weigh in and I was able to figure something out and get some things to go right for me. I culled 3 or 4 times and caught a 5lber on my last cast of the day and the tournament by 1lb. Nothing can ruin your day as fast as negative thinking.
Old 02-15-12, 02:27 PM   #10
rrw4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Nothing can ruin your day as fast as negative thinking.
That is the same thing I was going to say as well. No matter what, never give up, and always stay positive. The only thing I can add is to have confidence in what you are doing.

Ryan
Old 02-15-12, 06:27 PM   #11
joedog

Limit first...... Kicker 2nd!
Young folks tend to go after the home run or long ball hard, Forgetting about getting on base is really a better game plan. The long ball will come if you catch limits every tourney. It does wonders for keeping positive too.

These folks know alot more about fishing than I'll ever know!
I'd tell him to get on line and become a member here!
I'm sure there are a few lesser forums to visit

Carolina knows fish and knows competitive fishing along with alot of others here.
The advice and different view points on any given question is priceless.
Lets you think for your yourself with the advice an mentoring from some people that really know fish!
Keep us informed on his season. Better yet, after HE becomes a member here, he can keep us informed.
Old 02-20-12, 09:42 AM   #12
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

Olboy4

I have to agree with joedog on what he said get your limt then go find the big one. I love to fish tournaments they are fun and very informatinal. Also let him know that when every thing is going wrong that is when it is realy going right and what I mean by that is even when it is going bad for you and evrything you have throwen is not catching any fish you are still fishing and having a great time injoy the moment.
gysgthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 10:04 AM   #13
aikenyounggun

From a pure competition standpoint: it probably won't take much to win these tournaments, or at least to do well in these. I would teach him how to throw a shakeyhead or a drop shot, because they are finesse tactics he can get comfortable with and will catch him fish pretty much every tournament. Just catching your 5 fish limit will probably win 90% of the tournaments, or at least put him in the top three.
Old 02-20-12, 12:31 PM   #14
IUbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Just be comfortable... listen to some pre fish music... have lots of drinks and food on board. Nothing is worse than wanting a drink or getting aggravated because youre hungry. Also, become comfortable with the lake take a day to drive around and get familiar, plot way points, etc.
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 12:06 PM   #15
olboy4
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks everyone. I and he really do/does appreciate the info.

I have been taking notes on every fishing show I watch, how to videos and online sites showing the science of reaction bites. I think he will be ready.
Old 02-22-12, 03:39 PM   #16
IowaBasser

X2 on Fishing your strengths!

If you're a rubber worm guy (like me) ...and everything you read is telling you to throw a lipless crankbait in early spring, but you're not comfortable with a lipless crankbait - then don't throw the crankbait. Look for a pattern where a rubber worm makes sense.

Stay away from new lures! It takes experience to fish any lure. You need to know when to slow down a crank-bait, when to yo-yo it, when to rip it, etc. It's hard to "STAY POSITIVE" when you're trying to decide if the fish aren't biting because they're not there, or because you're fishing the wrong lure, or the wrong color, or yo-yoing when you should be ripping, etc.

Stay with your confidence baits and confidence techniques - if the fish aren't biting you can move. At least you know it's not your lure selection or presentation that's at fault for not catching fish.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 08:18 PM   #17
Scott the fishman

The two things i would say is confidence. If he has confidence in a lure use it and make a plan and stick to it. Scott Martin said if you make a plan and stick to it 99% chance you will be able to make it work.
Old 02-22-12, 09:45 PM   #18
Tavery5

Lots of good information, good attitude, fish your strengths, all very good points. One thing that I would add is this, the guy who can find fish can usually catch them. Attitude and fishing your strength is good advice but it wont put fish in the boat if you cant find them.

Technology has changed the way anglers prepare and fish tournaments. The current versions of electronics make it possible to quickly locate fish and eliminate non-productive water.

My advice would be to rig your boat with the best side imaging unit you can afford, learn the features of this device and how to operate it effectively. I can guarantee you that others have this technology and know how to use it, don't get beat because someone had a better set of tools than you.

Best of luck on the season, keep us updated on how he is doing.
Old 02-23-12, 03:25 PM   #19
olboy4
BassFishin.Com Member

Well thanks again everyone. And thanks for the new posts. Its comments and support from you guys that have helped me to make an important decision. I'm going to start Tourney Fishing too. My new goal or first goal I have ever had, in life.

Now I just need a decent boat (with a good fish finder).

My friend has started training his son to Tourney fish and they look forward to my emails that I have copied and pasted from you guys. So from them, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.