Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-21-09, 11:34 AM   #1
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Should Kim Baine-Moore be in the Classic?

Well??????????????
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 11:42 AM   #2
Wags

Send a message via AIM to Wags Send a message via Yahoo to Wags

If she has the sponsors and can catch fish......I have no prob, just don't give her any special treatment
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 11:52 AM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

she did qualify for it i don't see why not..sponser be damed to make the classic you must WIN..reguardless of who you are.. if she has the wins needed to qualify then let her fish it..

zooker
Old 02-21-09, 12:05 PM   #4
bamabassman

AGREED!!!!! let her fish, if the men are scared, don't compete. fishing is for each and every person. it ain't just a MAN thang. i have ZERO problem with it.
Old 02-21-09, 12:11 PM   #5
keithdog

I see no reason why she shouldn't. She's a proven winner and quite capable of competing with anyone. My hats off to anyone who can climb the ranks to fish the Classic.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 12:13 PM   #6
JB

If she does make it the media will be all over that story, hope it doesnt hinder her performance on the water
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 12:17 PM   #7
bamabassman

i agree jb, i hope she doesn't do a danica patrick.
Old 02-21-09, 12:33 PM   #8
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The fish don't care one way or the other. That evens the field like in no other sport. It's her skill vs someone else's skill. She qualified under the rules and has every right to be there. The problem she is going to have is two fold: the mass media driving her nuts with countless stupid repetitive questions, and way too many fans following her everywhere on the water.

Personally, it makes it that much more interesting for us fans.
Old 02-21-09, 12:47 PM   #9
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i agree jb, i hope she doesn't do a danica patrick.
Bama, If you are referring to her temper tantrums then I would have say why not, I think they can be pretty funny at times. Especially the time when she had her little run in with Milka Duno... cat fight! LOL As far as Kim Baine fishing the Classic; MORE POWER TO HER.~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 12:50 PM   #10
Jigger

Question: Can a woman fish against the guys in the regular BASS tournaments? If the answer is "yes" then I'm against her being allowed to compete by being the female angler of the year on the women's circuit. To me it's not fair that she gets to fish because she was top dog on a lesser exclusive tour and is allowed to compete for half a mil. against guys that made it by competing against the best in the world. If she gets in why not let in, for example, the AOY on the Gay bass tour or the African American bass tour or the Banker's bass tour or the Lawyers bass tour.....etc, etc.

If she's going to compete at the Classic she should be required to qualify just like everyone else. I don't like it.
Old 02-21-09, 01:08 PM   #11
bamabassman

ok, here is how i see this. there shouldn't be a "womens" division or a "man" division. cut all this out. just everyone compete, the top ones that qualify, go on. the others go home.
Old 02-21-09, 01:44 PM   #12
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ok, here is how i see this. there shouldn't be a "womens" division or a "man" division. cut all this out. just everyone compete, the top ones that qualify, go on. the others go home.
Makes sense to me, since this isn't a ball sport where physical size and strength are important determining factors. For sure it would bring in new sponsors, make tv and news coverage easier and more complete. And most importantly, bring in new fans from the casual to the hard core.
Old 02-21-09, 02:44 PM   #13
Jim80

She had a terrible first day but i would like to see her make the cut to fish the final day . maybe it would help bring more women into the sport if they had a solid female angler to look up to .

Jim
Old 02-21-09, 02:59 PM   #14
Captmikestarrett

But she has nice teeth and that oh so cool Aussie accent..

I say the walls need to come down and as time moves forward they will compete together.. Humans are not ready for that yet.. but we as species are progressing. I have hope..

The point of a less vigirous path is mute with the Federation Leader in there too. Oh and last years champ gets a free ride too. Or did they stop that?

Capt Mike
Old 02-21-09, 05:41 PM   #15
zooker

belive they ask the past 5 champions if they want a free ride..

zooker
Old 02-22-09, 12:25 AM   #16
Jigger

Talking

[quote=Captmikestarrett;228028

The point of a less vigirous path is mute with the Federation Leader in there too. Oh and last years champ gets a free ride too. Or did they stop that?

Capt Mike[/quote]

Absurd! Laughable, even. To say that the women's AOY is even in the ballpark of the Federation leader or an ex Classic winner is silly. Mark Zona on ESPN estimated that the Federation qualifier had to work his way through 30,000 anglers to get to the Classic. He said it's like winning the lottery. My guess, and it's just a guess, is the Women's AOY didn't have to get through 100 or maybe 200 other female anglers at most. And as far as letting last years Classic Champ in and saying that's a "LESS VIGIROUS (sp) PATH" is, well, absurd. The proof is in the pudding. She finished 46th out of 51. Nuff said.

Last edited by Jigger; 02-22-09 at 01:15 AM. Reason: left something out
Old 02-22-09, 07:06 AM   #17
zooker

there is roughly 250 full time pro females in the womans division roughly the same as the men actually. there is a bunch of semi pro woman out there..there is a nc womans tour i know of with about 100 that fish regularly..

she placed 4 places behind rick clunn-how tough a tourny was that??

btw i'll be razing kenny b when i see him again..

zooker
Old 02-22-09, 08:30 AM   #18
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Absurd! Laughable, even. To say that the women's AOY is even in the ballpark of the Federation leader or an ex Classic winner is silly. Mark Zona on ESPN estimated that the Federation qualifier had to work his way through 30,000 anglers to get to the Classic. He said it's like winning the lottery. My guess, and it's just a guess, is the Women's AOY didn't have to get through 100 or maybe 200 other female anglers at most. And as far as letting last years Classic Champ in and saying that's a "LESS VIGIROUS (sp) PATH" is, well, absurd. The proof is in the pudding. She finished 46th out of 51. Nuff said.
Sometimes when you type the sarcasism does not come thru.. The Fedration guys have a huge climb to the Classic.. unlike the other qualifiers,,

Capt Mike
Old 02-22-09, 11:22 AM   #19
Jigger

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
Sometimes when you type the sarcasism does not come thru.. The Fedration guys have a huge climb to the Classic.. unlike the other qualifiers,,

Capt Mike
I should have known!!! Add the little smiley face above and I'll get it next time.
Old 02-22-09, 11:31 AM   #20
fish2

Send a message via AIM to fish2

its just like everything else. the first time there is a lot of griping. I personaly thought the interviews asking the guys if she should be allowed to compete were funny and showed how conceited they were about the entire thing. If she earned the right to fish in the Classic let her fish and let her have her glory moment but when it all came down to it she didn't make the CUT anywho so now let the big dogs eat
Old 02-22-09, 11:37 AM   #21
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
there is roughly 250 full time pro females in the womans division roughly the same as the men actually. there is a bunch of semi pro woman out there..there is a nc womans tour i know of with about 100 that fish regularly..

zooker
So, are you trying to make the argument that since there are the same number of women on their circuit as men in theirs that the competition is as tough??? Careful there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% in favor of women competing in the Classic. I just don't like the fact she was, in my opinion, almost "given" a berth into the Super Bowl of bass fishing qualifying from a very weak format, at best. To me it's almost demeaning. Kind of like saying "Sweetie, we know you can't compete against the men, so we're going to let you in by competing in the minor leagues." I'm not so sure if I were her I'd have participated. I'd be willing to bet that many of us fish a circuit tougher than the BASS womens tour.

If she's going to fish at the Classic with the Big Boys, let her qualify with the Big Boys. Again, I'm for her and any other female 100%. I'm just sick of giving someone special treatment because of their sex or race or age or whatever. I'm all for equal treatment for everyone but not special treatment for anyone.
Old 02-22-09, 11:42 AM   #22
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish2 View Post
If she earned the right to fish in the Classic let her fish and let her have her glory moment
And that's my point, she never "earned" the right to fish in the Classic. They let her in from a very weak format for Politically Correct reasons I suppose. Not fair to the others who did earn the right to fish. I really think they should now have a Minority Bass circuit, a Gay Bass Circuit and maybe a Senior Bass circuit for those over 65 (have I left anyone out?) and let their AOY in as well so we can be really PC. Don't cha' think?
Old 02-22-09, 12:36 PM   #23
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
And that's my point, she never "earned" the right to fish in the Classic. They let her in from a very weak format for Politically Correct reasons I suppose. Not fair to the others who did earn the right to fish. I really think they should now have a Minority Bass circuit, a Gay Bass Circuit and maybe a Senior Bass circuit for those over 65 (have I left anyone out?) and let their AOY in as well so we can be really PC. Don't cha' think?

Then maybe that should include the Federation Nation? Basically, those who can't afford the ridiculously high entry fees for the Elite shouldn't be allowed to compete in the Classic? (hmmm..)
I think that the Bassmaster Classic should be a venue for all of the different Bassmaster sanctioned trails, or not be referred to as the single venue for the world championship of Bass Fishing. In fact I believe that it doesn't come close to determining the world champion because on any given body of water someone will excel, and they could possibly be someone who didn't really do worth a flip during the regular season. The only true race to determine that should be the Angler of the Year, FOR Each TRAIL, then let them square off for the championship (should also include the FLW trails too!).

Old 02-22-09, 12:41 PM   #24
Bassboss

I agree with some of the guys in the classic, she was awarded the spot, not earned it! But it still, good luck to her, I wish she could have made it to the 3rd day!
Old 02-22-09, 12:49 PM   #25
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Then maybe that should include the Federation Nation? Basically, those who can't afford the ridiculously high entry fees for the Elite shouldn't be allowed to compete in the Classic? (hmmm..)

Are you kidding me?? It's estimated that those who quailified through the Federation had to work their way through around 30,000 other anglers. That may be the toughest road to the classic of all. And aren't I correct in saying that after day 2 all three of the Federation anglers made the cut with two of them in the top 10? And didn't Bryan Kerchal win the classic one year and didn't Dalton Bobo place second another year only an ounce behind the winner? Both Fed. Ntn. anglers.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.