Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-09, 03:47 PM   #26
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

look for your model on the abu website! good luck finding it.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 03:47 PM   #27
jcw1503

well, then i guess i got an apple (or what ever is opposite of a lemon)....My model is the exact same model at bps...and so there is two abu garcia companies and two quantum companies....here i thought it was illegal to steal the name of a company that alrady exists....
Old 02-24-09, 03:50 PM   #28
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The only thing I find my walmart good for is getting spinnerbaits. I really like them for the price, the only thing I would change is to give them a trailer keeper and give them a thicker skirt. Other wise, no complaints!
Old 02-24-09, 03:52 PM   #29
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Im not saying ( me , personally ) that the pioneer cd players were from a black market , or they came from china. I can tell you they did come from pioneer. Pioneer wanted walmart to sell their products ( wouldnt you ? ) but they did skimp on features so they could sell at that low price , examples include : My line included a LCD display with multicolored lights , walmarts was a standard LED display in amber only. My line had selectable green/amber lights , walmarts was just amber. My line had 2 sets of RCA outputs , walmarts had only one. To do 2 sets of RCA outputs the electronics inside actually contained another transistor , multiple resistors and capasitors. So , in closing , it was a pioneer , just a stripped pioneer to please the money hungry giant walmart. I am sure , sure they do the same thing with fishing gear , maybe just differant bearings , or plastic gears instead of steel/aluminum/brass ? Check the disc brake pads , its really hard to say. But I am sure they make them cheaper , but still usable.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 03:59 PM   #30
CMorg

I just came from walmart not 4 hours ago ( my wife had a dr.appointment , so me and my little girl went shopping , she really likes the dora rod and reel by the way ) Anyway , they had a garcia spinning reel , and a fenwick rod. I did buy it , its a Venture model on the fenwick rod...find me that rod in BPS , Cabelas , Gander Mtn , or Dicks , or the Fenwick website... I bought it for drop shotting , and it will work fine for that , and if it messes up , its walmart , they take everything back....
Old 02-24-09, 04:11 PM   #31
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yeah I'll admit I do have 2 of Quantum rods from Junkworld that I barely use anymore. Why I bought it in the first place? Tight budget at the time. Why not using it anymore? Heavy and no sensitivity. I started saving money to invent in a better rods. Both rods are for sale if anyones interested

Really, why would I want to have something usable temporary that will not last. Like two of the reels I had. Good thing they were returned.
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 04:12 PM   #32
jcw1503

Well, when you buy oreos from walmart at 2 dollars and at food lion they are 3.50....they are the same, no cut backs or anything....you say thats only 1.50 differece and this is a 20 or 30 dollar difference....look at the percentage, the oreo has a discount of 43% and take the reel...at bass pro shop the same setup would of cost me 103 and i paid 63...thats a 40% discount....The reason walmart sells cheap is becasue of two reasons...one is that they are the big dogs in retail...they are everywhere and the majority of the people shop there...the other reason is becasue they buy in bulk...you say but hey so does bps....walmart has 6,300 stores give or take a few and bass pro shops has 56 give or take a few....if every bps buys 20 of the same reel then the company sells the company sells 1,120 reels if walmart buys 10 for each store, then they sale 63,000 rods and add a price to that with the 40% discount...say the reel sells to bass pro shops at a profit of $30 dollars a reel and that would be a profit of $12 a reel for walmart...that means they make 33,600 from bps and 756,000 dollars from walmart...as an owner would you not sell at a discount to walmart....
Old 02-24-09, 04:14 PM   #33
lowrider

settle this once and for all, open your reel up and i bet you have plastic gears. as you sit frowning come back and tell us all about it.
Old 02-24-09, 04:14 PM   #34
jcw1503

i will when i get home....i will let you know!!!
Old 02-24-09, 04:15 PM   #35
jcw1503

and i will get my friend to bring hi over and compare, the same reels he got his from bps before the one at walmart came out....
Old 02-24-09, 04:18 PM   #36
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Walmart does have some stuff produced especially for them by big name mfg for less. I believe the shop-vacs are produced with cheaper internal parts, heard that somewhere. Also Tracker2 tires I think are produced for walmart. Not that it means that stuff is crap.

Another thing about walmart is their bargaining power with manufacturers. Think about how many people pretty much only shop at walmart. It means that wally can set price targets and say "look here, dremel motor tools, either you meet this target price and sell us x units, or we will exclusivly sell the Skill model 1234 for $19.99 and you guys will lose out on a huge part of the market share for small motor tools."
Old 02-24-09, 04:21 PM   #37
jcw1503

yes some stuff is produce just for walmart, hence when they have different model numbers, but when they are the exact same product for less, it does not mean its different...If the exact same model number is on there, then the company making the product has to make it the same...now if a number or letter is different then they can make it with different parts....
Old 02-24-09, 04:23 PM   #38
BassBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
settle this once and for all, open your reel up and i bet you have plastic gears. as you sit frowning come back and tell us all about it.
Was fixing to say the same thing. Read my mind.
Old 02-24-09, 04:25 PM   #39
lowrider

i'm not trying to get in a peeing contest or bag on his reel, but dammm. and besides, he hasn't posted the model # for us to go searching it out for him.
Old 02-24-09, 04:27 PM   #40
lowrider

doc, tell the kid about blackie that you bought from wally world.
Old 02-24-09, 04:53 PM   #41
BassBandit

I did a few search and here is one of instance that was posted on other forum. Email from Walmart. One of example of 2 Quantum reels I had but the feel were noticeably different.

The Wal*Mart Private Label Abu Garcia Classic Ambassadeur reels are made in Sweden just as our catalog reels are made in Sweden. The only differences between the Wal*Mart reels and our catalog reels are the following: The Wal*Mart Ambassadeur Classic reels do not have the noise reduction bushing in the left side plate. The cosmetics and the names of the reels are different as well. All other internal and external parts are of the same material and quality.
Good Fishing,
Jammie Wackerbarth J
Customer Service Representative
One more thing I forgot. The spool control cap is plastic on the Wal*Mart reels and metal on non-Wal*Mart reels.

Last edited by BassBandit; 02-24-09 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 05:14 PM   #42
jasonfish320

I only buy one style of lure at walmart..wave worm tiki stick 5" black/blue flake and green pumpkin...these are very much like yamamoto's senko worm only 2-3 bucks cheaper, occasionally I will buy terminal tackle and fishing line from them but the rest I purchase online.
Old 02-24-09, 05:23 PM   #43
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
doc, tell the kid about blackie that you bought from wally world.

Sadly its true, abu 5600 I believe, after 1 season wouldn't cast that far, when I was oiling and greasing BIG WHITE plastic gears.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 05:27 PM   #44
CMorg

I got alot of stuff from wally world. I dont care to admit it , my revos however I got from bps or local tackle shop...nor did my airrus or a few other rods come from there..
Old 02-24-09, 05:41 PM   #45
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
I got alot of stuff from wally world. I dont care to admit it , my revos however I got from bps or local tackle shop...nor did my airrus or a few other rods come from there..

Oh, don't get me wrong. I shop there
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 05:49 PM   #46
bassackwards

pflueger mod i think 6739 10 bearing sys 1 way clutch all info on reel
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 06:15 PM   #47
CMorg

My walmart doesnt have anything pflueger. Or spro.
Old 02-24-09, 06:18 PM   #48
bassackwards

i don't think mine does any more for pic of reel in ? go to my albums. can't figure out how to put them on here
Old 02-24-09, 06:37 PM   #49
bassackwards

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-24-09, 06:37 PM   #50
bassackwards

[IMG][/IMG]

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.