Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-09, 11:03 PM   #1
hookset on 3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question 22LBS.4oz

When,where, and how is it going to broken?
hookset on 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 11:25 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

California with a swimbait. It was broken once here foul hooked with a jig.
Old 05-09-09, 12:02 AM   #3
bcklash

Kentucky Lake -- 5/15/09
caught by BCKLASH
netted by Bassinbandit

really I agree with Cass
Old 05-09-09, 01:43 AM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I'm with Cass on this one.
Old 05-09-09, 02:36 AM   #5
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If its ever broken it will be a sad day for bass fishing. The record is an institution.

California will probably do it, they manufacture bass unnaturally. Its really disgusting, but its coming. Wont be long before genetic engineering creates 100 pound bass. Already done it in labs with salmon.
Old 05-09-09, 06:55 AM   #6
Bassboss

One of 3 lakes:

Lake El Salto
Clear lake California
Or Lake Fork Texas

And if I had to have a forth, I'd be the Everglades

If it's broken in El Salto, than on a spinnerbait, or swimbait
If it's broken in Calli, than on a swimbait
If in lake fork, than on a big jig, swimbait, or spinnerbait
And in the Glades, I'd have to go with a 10" + worm!

Nuff said!
Old 05-09-09, 10:56 AM   #7
rrw4258

I think it will be broken in either:
Falcon Lake
El Salto
Somewhere in California.
Probably on a swimbait too.

Ryan
Old 05-09-09, 11:58 AM   #8
Raul

Lake Baccarac, a much better lake than El Salto when it comes to big bass.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 12:03 PM   #9
bamabassman

i like lash's bid. hahahahahaha.
Old 05-09-09, 03:22 PM   #10
Jim80

With the amount of anglers out there chasing the record I would say yeah but it will def come out of cali or texas .

jim
Old 05-09-09, 05:10 PM   #11
nofearengineer

I really hope it's never broken, but I think it probably will be. That will be a sad day, I think, because it will be broken outside of the fish'es natural range, and thus a victory for the marketing of bass fishing, rather than the enjoyment of it.

Cummon, who thinks it's right for some guy in Thailand to hold the world record for largemouth bass because somebody stocked a swamp over there with it? When I think largemouth bass, I think Ohio River Valley to Texas. Even California bothers me, not so much because it's outside of the natural range, but because of how they do everything out there. Want bass to grow larger? Hell, feed em rainbow trout fry so they weigh 10 lbs when they're five years old. That's just wrong. We could have done that here in the Midwest, but prefer to let nature take its course.

Then to hear the record would be held in Mexico......I think we should just go back to a U.S. record and leave it at that. Nothing against Mexico or any other country...but the Largemouth is a United States fish!
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 06:56 PM   #12
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Clear and castaic lakes California are clear bets, and probably within the next few years, but Texas' Lake fork and Alec Henry is a good bet to.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...tid=1644024661
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 09:27 PM   #13
keithdog

It's pretty much a crapshoot. Everyone believes it's either going to come from Texas or Cali, but the bass grow huge in Florida as we... Plus the current record was from Georgia, so who's to say. I wouldn't be a bit suprised if there was a 23 pound record bass hunkerin down in Lake Toho in Florida. But if I had to make a bet, I might be inclined to say Lake Fork in Texas.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 08:40 AM   #14
aikenyounggun

ok i know california is the best chance (on a swimbait most likely) and then Texas is believed to be 2nd because of Fork.... but there is a lake in Texas that my dad used to fish all the time and when we went there a couple years ago i got to go and it brings huge bass in... anyone want to guess...... its down a little dirt road to get to it.... another guess..... its lake Pinkston..... we caught 40 fish over 4lbs in about 5 hours.... also first day i saw 10 lber live.... guy on land caught it..... holds #7 on Texas record

but i also believe florida has a good chance..... i also believe there is some fish in about 1 pond out of the whole state in SC that goes 20.... i just have yet to find it..... just remember that i bet the next world record will come out of some private pond in some suthern state that some good ol boy caught...... will be a repeat of the orinal story... just hope its me
Old 05-10-09, 11:30 AM   #15
cassidyta

Okay, I am by no means trying to start a fight here, but the growing of the bass was not a targeted event out here. They were not in labs seeing just how many trout they could shove down the throat to make them big. I won't deny that the trout are the primary reason for their size, but the general weather and environment affect it as well.
The same goes for Texas and Florida.
I would also point out that the number 10 bass on the list. (20+ lbs) came out of a non stocked lake out here.
California has had basssince 1891 and the florida strain LMB since 1959. I would conceed that it is not natural if we were talking about a decade or so, but with Bass here for 200 years, the ones we have are pretty darn native.
I for one don't want to see the record broken either, unless it is by me that is.
Old 05-10-09, 12:45 PM   #16
zooker

in all posability it will be broke by some one fishing fer the first time..caught on live minnow..

not the crusty old timer that has put in 30 years of beating the water to a froth..

zooker
Old 05-10-09, 01:10 PM   #17
Bassboss

Ya, I'm afraid I have to agree with Aiken.

It'll probably be out of some un-fished pond in a Southern state, probably Fl. I've looked at online maps of northern, and central Fl, and seen small natural ponds and lakes covered with brush! I've also seen small, (probably) natural lakes dotted along large high ways and interstates, even fished some. And I'll tell you one thing, their are big fish in some of them! Once me and my dad went to Leasburge (<-- spelling) in Central Fl when he had a job interview there, and on the way back we fished a lake on I-95, with a small island in the middle, we where only there for an hour or less, and both me and him had caught several fish 5lbs+, and saw big lazy ones following our spinnerbaits, talking 10 + lbers. My dad also went to Jacksonville last week and he said he caught a bass that when, 22" long 19" girth!

Anyway, wouldn't be surprised at all if next WW bass was caught out of one of these ponds!

btw, he did not get the job in Leasburge!
Old 05-10-09, 01:56 PM   #18
JRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
i also believe florida has a good chance.....
If its Florida, it will come from Orlando, or north of it. The water down here in south Florida is too hot, too shallow. Been proven that fish in south fl grow faster, and die equally as fast/young. Polk countys phosphate pits have potential to produce 15+ pound fish easily. The major issue with Florida is forage size/shape.

I personally would like to see the record broken, and hopefully not in Cali. To my knowledge Florida strain bass did not exist in California in the 1920's, so its not quite the same if its broken there. Same for Texas.
Old 05-10-09, 08:59 PM   #19
LubbockFisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Default As much as I wish it would be Texas

I just dont think it will be Texas. The problem= lakes over populated with peps. Here Alan Henry is 40 minutes away from Lubbock , Lake Fork so close to Dallas, and Canyon and Choke Canyon to close to SA. So my OPINION is Amistad or Falcon is TXs only chance. Sorry guys over at Fork but 18 is far from 22 lbs. New state record for Texas will be from ALEN HENREY within in next 5 years.
LubbockFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 10:59 PM   #20
hookset on 3

Great Posts guys! They were all interesting. I wish it would come from some good oi' boy out of his johnboat fishing with a big honkin' 8 inch shiner or some huge nasty looking mudpuppy (deadly bait). He'd come out of the swamp - like George Perry-with a story about that big ol' sow belly that he had to dive in to free it of the stump she'd wrapped him up in. You know Harry N' Charlie kinda stuff. That's my dream since I was young.
In all likelyhood it will be some trout burpin' brute from Southern California that gets fooled the one week out of the whole year when she has love on her mind and lets her guard down.

Hook
Old 05-10-09, 11:14 PM   #21
stevomac59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
I think it will be broken in either:
Falcon Lake
El Salto
Somewhere in California.
Probably on a swimbait too.

Ryan
X2...

and it will be me..

haha, who am I kiddin? I've only caught 4 bass there../

but really, I have seen some MONSTER hawgs pulled out of there daily (and almost all are released). Very respectable lake
Old 05-11-09, 01:52 PM   #22
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
but the Largemouth is a United States fish!
Not exactly, the natural range where bass is a native are Southeast US and Northeast Mexico, everywhere else itīs an introduced species.

On the subject of trout fed bass in Cali, the authorities of Cali are not feeding trout to bass in order to make them grow larger, they stock the lakes with trout for the people to catch and keep. The trout are grown to pan size in hatcheries and then stocked into the lakes, most of them are gong to die anyways because the lakes are not always cold enough to support them. Bass have taken advantage of the situation.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 02:06 PM   #23
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
If its Florida, it will come from Orlando, or north of it. The water down here in south Florida is too hot, too shallow. Been proven that fish in south fl grow faster, and die equally as fast/young. Polk countys phosphate pits have potential to produce 15+ pound fish easily. The major issue with Florida is forage size/shape.

I personally would like to see the record broken, and hopefully not in Cali. To my knowledge Florida strain bass did not exist in California in the 1920's, so its not quite the same if its broken there. Same for Texas.
That's a right! South Florida dose not have very big bass..... compeared to northen/cental fl. Orlando and north of are where the BIG bass are!
Old 05-11-09, 02:37 PM   #24
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Not exactly, the natural range where bass is a native are Southeast US and Northeast Mexico, everywhere else itīs an introduced species.

On the subject of trout fed bass in Cali, the authorities of Cali are not feeding trout to bass in order to make them grow larger, they stock the lakes with trout for the people to catch and keep. The trout are grown to pan size in hatcheries and then stocked into the lakes, most of them are gong to die anyways because the lakes are not always cold enough to support them. Bass have taken advantage of the situation.
I have to disagree with you on this. There is a tremendous amount of money to be made off of us fishing fools by entities who are totally invested in producing huge, potentially record-breaking bass. The guy who catches the new record is an instant millionaire, and the lake that even hints at producing a new record becomes a cash cow for the local economy and government. They didn't start feeding them trout for that reason, but they sure the heck know what's going on now, and they don't exactly have a problem with it.

I'm just a purist, I guess. If you're gonna stock a lake in California with Florida strain largemouths, what's the difference between that and growing one in a really large aquarium until she hits 25 lbs? It's still artificial. Heck, Dixon Lake is only 70 acres, kinda like that aquarium, in a sense. Fun for anglers, yes. They have every right to enjoy bass fishing just like me...but in my humble opinion, they shouldn't be counted for the record.

Take Henry Aaron...he'll always be the home run king to me. Some selfish jerk took a bunch of steroids and tarnished the greatest sports record ever. Some other guy hit 900 home runs (still a great achievement!) over in Japan, where the average baseball fence is a lot closer to home plate than in Major League Baseball. Are either of those guys better than Hammerin' Hank? Nope. Never will be. Hank did it right.

Anyways, I hope every guy in here gets to catch a 20lb'er in his lifetime (pssst...I'll take two, please). Don't get me wrong...tight lines for everyone.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 08:53 PM   #25
cassidyta

I would be lying to say that I am unbiased on this one, but......

Yes Dixon is a small pond, and yes the bass there eat trout. But these are not fingerling trout being stocked by our department of fish and game. All of the lakes in the county are owned by the individual cities, and they generate revenue from trout fishing. They want the bigger trout to bring in more anglers. The small trout that are stocked are 12 inches in length. In the past few years, they have been bringing in These are not small bass eating fry to get large, they are large bass getting bigger. The bass are not growing faster in their first 5-7 years, but they really take off after that. This is evident by the fact that there are very few 8-10 lbs bass caught out here.

I am not sure that bass bulking up on trout ranks up there with intentionally taking steroids to break a homerun record, but I do respect your opinion.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.