Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-09, 04:13 PM   #1
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fishing Courtesy. How Close Is Too Close?

Most people on the lakes I've seen are pretty courteous, but a few aren't afraid to crowd you. How much space do you think is appropriate to give other anglers when you meet another boat or shorefisherman on the lake?

I try to stay at least 50 yds away from other boats. But I've had a few instances this year when people would idle up in front of me 100-200 feet and troll the same direction and work the same cover I was clearly headed for. Or people moving in so close that they cut off your casting angles because they saw you catch a fish.

What are your opinions? If you have any stories of irritating people crowding you, feel free.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-09, 04:40 PM   #2
danielbasspro

Happens all the time its a part of fishing. Jerks. There is a whole lake to fish but they choose to fish next to you I HATE HATE HATE it
Old 10-10-09, 04:50 PM   #3
TnTom

If I can hit him with my longest cast I'm too way close and vice versa. I like to use a minimum of twice the distance I can cast.

Most of the lakes I fish are 15K acres plus and I look where folks aren't. Usually means finding a new patterns but there's no need to be crowed or to crowd someone.

Folks who crowd and you know when your crowding someone - its really a dumb *** sort of thing, just folks who cant figure it out for themselves .

I just generally head to the next cove, don't even want to be near another boat.
Old 10-10-09, 10:58 PM   #4
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Some tournaments have a rule of 50 feet or 50 yards when your boat is anchored and TM is up but some have it at anytime unless the other angler is invited into that range which opens it up to anybody. I personally like the minimum of a LONG cast away and have only been crowded once that really made me mad, and it was by a pro/guide!

Now walleye fishing is completely different. I didn't get any pics of when it got crowded, but you could pretty much walk to shore across the boats if you wanted:

These pics are from when I broke away from the "flotilla" to run back up and start another drift so I was far from the other boats.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-09, 11:55 PM   #5
BassinBandit

I agree with at least 50 feet. I try to mind that unless i know the guys are fishing and tourney and I am not. If that is the case i will go else where completely. I have never been affraid to tell someone if they come into the area I am fishing. Its not normally to bad. We have problems with the skiers and Jet skis around here. They dont want to give fisherman any respect at all. Luckily the local game Warden has been cracking down on them for being Dangerous .
Old 10-10-09, 11:58 PM   #6
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If a guy is stopped fishing some bank cover, and I'm trolling that shoreline, I don't give it much thought to just pass him from behind. After all, I'm not fishing the bank. It's not like I'm casting where he is. I try to curve out a little to avoid him, probably about 50 feet. Even at that, I sometimes get dirty looks. Welcome to the public resource, jerk.

Stopping and fishing, I probably wouldn't even come within 100 yards of someone, except in passing.
Old 10-11-09, 01:41 AM   #7
BeaverIslander

Those pics look like Mille Lacs on opener! Walleyes fishing is different, especially if you both are vertical jigging. Many people are fine if you get close, that is if you're quiet and don't interfere with their presentation.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 10:46 AM   #8
TnTom

I suppose to it has a lot to do with whats going on to. I'm don't tourney fish and I don't get too excited about fishing for anything that would get me into a crowd. I guess there are cases where getting crowed just goes along with it

Still there will be folks who would rather stand on your boat rather than their own, they'll travel across a lake to fish your spot. Unfortunately there is no cure for stupid.

Ski boats and jet skies .....whoaaaaa. look out!
Old 10-11-09, 12:24 PM   #9
Bassboss

I like to stay a good distance away, but some times I can learn a little/teach a little. So it really depends on the spear of the moment. But as a general rule, I try to stay pretty far way, at least two good cast away! And since I fish in ponds, I never run into boats........

Now what's really bad is when someone starts flipping the same brush pile as you!! Thank fully I don't think anyone's the big of an jerk!!

Last edited by Bassboss; 10-11-09 at 12:29 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 12:04 PM   #10
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

This comes up all the time, especially when tournament fishermen are in the middle of a tournament and a local is fishing "their spot." Most of the tournament guys will at least ask before fishing, but a few will come right in on top of a local and it does raise a stink. Personally I think common sense and common courtisey is all that should be needed when faced with this situation, but unfortunatly when money is on the line some forget about these two aspects.
Old 10-12-09, 12:32 PM   #11
bassboogieman

Most fishermen I've encountered are pretty good at not crowding another when fishing a spot. Most of our area clubs have a 25 yard rule (for tournaments), break that and you get DQ'd. The problems I encounter are not with other fishermen, but with Kayacker's on our local waters - they are oblivious to anyone fishing (you could insert IGNORE for oblivious). I've had them paddle between my boat and the weedline I'm fishing 25' away. They are unbelievalby surprised and extremely upset when a lure goes whizzing across their bow. I just "appoligize" and say I didn't see them either.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 12:43 PM   #12
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Kayacker's on our local waters - they are oblivious to anyone fishing (you could insert IGNORE for oblivious). I've had them paddle between my boat and the weedline I'm fishing 25' away. They are unbelievalby surprised and extremely upset when a lure goes whizzing across their bow. I just "appoligize" and say I didn't see them either.
They get even madder if you throw the anchor across their bow. But they won't do it again...

I've had some bad experiences with other fishermen, but only a couple. Most people I meet out on the water are almost as nice as I am. I was trolling down a bank once about a month ago, hitting some weedbeds with a frog (and man, is THAT fun...), when I noticed a guy jug fishing for catfish. One jug was right at the edge of a weedbed maybe 30-40 yards ahead of me. The guy moved over towards it, then saw me and backed off. He went and got all his other jugs, and waited for me to finish casting to that bed and troll on by before he came back for that one jug.
Old 10-12-09, 10:42 PM   #13
flfireman

My biggest problem is when somebody ties up a 25-30 foot wide canal with their whole boat. I don't want to fish by you, I just want to get past you and go to my spot. Have had some idiots throw absolute hissy fits because I troll up to them and try to go around them. This yahoo will fire up his big motor and fly right by you on this same canal if you get there first. I just nod and smile.
Old 10-13-09, 09:00 AM   #14
Abbeysdad

Herein lies the problem I think...some say 50 feet, others say 25, 50 or 100 yards.

So what IS an appropriate distance?

My young mentor Al tells me if somebody gets to close to him he's quick to yell and tell them to get away from him or he'll bounce a lead weight off their boat. Al won't spare the colorful adjectives in this communication either! (I think he just might fire that lead weight too if they didn't move off!)
Al doesn't tournament fish, but is real serious about catching fish.

Seems to me as long as everyone has a different idea of how close is too close, there's a problem cause nobody is right.... or wrong.
Old 10-13-09, 01:42 PM   #15
nofearengineer

I will say, if someone bounces a lead weight off of my boat, they will have made a serious error in judgement. It's gonna be bad.
Old 10-13-09, 05:01 PM   #16
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I will say, if someone bounces a lead weight off of my boat, they will have made a serious error in judgement. It's gonna be bad.
well then lets hope that never happens.

Edit: Btw, I don't think he ever has or would, he just tells 'em to back off or else. Talk is cheap.

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 10-13-09 at 10:25 PM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 06:01 PM   #17
Love of the Sport

Depends on how many boats are on the water. We try to stay out of sight of other boats. If we're on a honey hole we'll pull off before another boat gets too close.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 06:29 PM   #18
TnTom

Tourny fishing the clubs should specify I think. What kind of guide lines do the pro's use?

The casual fishing folks, and I guess depending on whats going on they/we usually constitute the population on the water, Maybe just a hand single indicating you would like to fish the same spot? If it were a big ole; bass boat pro tourny guy I'd wave him right over. I wouldn't be going anywhere and would pick his brain big time I don't think they could handle it very long because I sure wont be getting out of the way.

If it were another fishin' bum like myself wanting to close in and I didn't what him within a long cast I'd give him one finger, meaning keep your distance please.

Now there are days when really who cares, come on over an chat. But maybe there needs to be some communication. That could be like giving the guy the finger twice or using the other finger. Just a simple jesture meaning no problem here come on.

Comes down to courtesy. I'd nix any casting lead at someones boat. You will find find someone who would shoot you.

And DONT need no goverment legistaltion outside of participating club rules.
Old 10-14-09, 08:58 AM   #19
Abbeysdad

So WHAT IS the appropriate fair distance to another fishing boat?
Old 10-14-09, 11:10 AM   #20
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
So WHAT IS the appropriate fair distance to another fishing boat?
Any distance that the group agrees upon. Non-club, what ever common sense dictates.
Old 10-14-09, 12:02 PM   #21
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTom View Post
Any distance that the group agrees upon. Non-club, what ever common sense dictates.
Uhm..if you read the thread, there is no concensus agreement of 'common snese' - anywhere from 50 feet to 25, 50 or 100 yards (or completely out of sight!)

The point I was making is that everyone that responded here has a dramatically different perspective on this [common sense] and as long as that is the case, the question that started this thread remains unanswered.
Old 10-14-09, 02:14 PM   #22
TnTom

Quote:
Uhm..if you read the thread, there is no concensus agreement of 'common snese' - anywhere from 50 feet to 25, 50 or 100 yards (or completely out of sight!)

The point I was making is that everyone that responded here has a dramatically different perspective on this [common sense] and as long as that is the case, the question that started this thread remains unanswered.
Some questions are maybe best left unanswered. I will stick with ever distance common sense tells me.

Last edited by TnTom; 10-14-09 at 02:34 PM.
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 02:14 PM   #23
nofearengineer

Quote:

Abbey, you are correct. And that is why I rely on old faithful...the ability to do more grievous harm to someone before they do it to you. Always better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Old 10-14-09, 02:30 PM   #24
Racemaster33
BassFishin.Com Member

Default It's simple....

To me distance is very simple..............if I can hit you with a Rat-L-Trap from my boat, I probably will!
I always make sure I give space when bass fishing. If I see somebody working a bank line I would never run 50 yards out past them (in the direction their boat is facing) and start fishing the same bank. I expect the same in return.
A person can usaully get the message across if somebody crouds you. Just pick up your biggest bait and throw it as close to them as you can. Anybody with any sense will understand that they are too close.

Plan "B" is pull my Ruger P95 and fire into the trees on the bank in front of them then yell "did you see that coyote"? (just kiddin)

I think it's just having manners, nothing more. Those who dont have manners obviously need traning, just like a child.

I'm easy to get along with but don't tolerate stupid people for very long.
Racemaster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 03:30 PM   #25
66KingFisher

I can't help but believe that when we get to the point of needing to carry firearms and shoot at folks cause they are fishing my spot or fishing too close, then maybe its time to find a new hobby!!
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.