Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-10-11, 03:44 PM   #51
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Well I'm still following my own advice. I have yet to have one of those demented humans give me a piece of their mind about either hunting or fishing. But should they, I will totally ignore their existance. Nothing irritates a human more than being ignored, think about that. They only get more enraged, at that point they may make the mistake of touching me or my boat, truck, etc. and at that point I can cease to ignore their presence and defend myself or my property, which is also very legal.

Or you could de-robe as they're yelling and see if they want to continue arguing with a naked man.

This is how I handle things at home anyway.
Old 09-10-11, 03:46 PM   #52
bassboogieman

Quote:
Unfortunately, nobody ever comes up to me and calls me a POS for fishing. That would be a lot of fun
Remind me at the Hollow next year.

Even with two replaced knees (and 20 years) I think I can still outrun you.

Quote:
Or you could de-robe as they're yelling and see if they want to continue arguing with a naked man.
Ok Walker, if it ever happens, I'll just reach in and whip out my rod (all seven feet of it) and flog them.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-11, 03:49 PM   #53
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Remind me at the Hollow next year.

Even with two replaced knees (and 20 years) I think I can still outrun you.
I've just been sand bagging, Bruce.

Be careful...the Hollow is a deep, quiet place. The kind of place nobody would notice that while two men went onto the water, only one man came back.
Old 09-10-11, 03:54 PM   #54
bassboogieman

Quote:
The kind of place nobody would notice that while two men went onto the water, only one man came back.
You'll never get close in that Avalance. On the other hand you could not get away either.

More fun than poking a sleeping wolverine.
Old 09-10-11, 04:01 PM   #55
nofearengineer

Quote:
You'll never get close in that Avalance. On the other hand you could not get away either.
Bruce...I really don't think I'd have to run from you. That glass matchstick rig of yours doesn't want to tangle with real metal. And the boarding party would be a real *****. LOL
Old 09-10-11, 04:05 PM   #56
bassboogieman

Quote:
And the boarding party would be a real *****. LOL
Sounds like fun, I'll bring the Orange Crush.
Old 09-10-11, 04:08 PM   #57
nofearengineer

Quote:
Sounds like fun, I'll bring the Orange Crush.
I prefer Diet Sunkist.
Old 09-10-11, 07:09 PM   #58
bamabassman

i htink oyu 2 should jsut get a room.................lmbo!!!!
Old 09-10-11, 07:33 PM   #59
bassboogieman

Quote:
I prefer Diet Sunkist
Of course you would. (edit), (delete), (edit), *&^%$$$, (delete).

OK, the hijacking is over, and we now return this thread to it's original subject matter.

Thank you, over and out.
Old 09-11-11, 09:05 AM   #60
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAfisher76 View Post
The fastest way to lose a friend and make an enemy is by talking about politics or religion.The one thing we all have in common on this site is our love for fishing, so why can't we keep the convo there.
Hey PAf Point taken but.......my real friends and I know each others deeply held beliefs both religious and political. I believe this is a fundamental part of being a friend. While I'll concede that I didn't join this site to make friends, I just wanted to learn as much as I could and contribute what little I know, and I'll also further acknowledge that FOX and CNBC etc both have sites where we can all duke it out till the cows come home, its good to know more about a group of people you're associated with than just which color Trick worm they prefer.
BTW someone in this thread made the point about giving a hooked fish some slack and watching them immediately calm down.......I've seen this same thing happen many times, and while this evidence may be anecdotal, it works for me. However, the lady in post #1 would not change her position if you could PROVE that the fish actually enjoyed the experience and looked forward to it! If you could get her to understand the concept of a managed harvest or even catch and release, I doubt you'd see her at BPS picking up a bag of Zooms and 3/0 Gammis anytime soon.
Ken
Old 09-11-11, 10:48 AM   #61
Flippin TN
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I doubt you'd see her at BPS picking up a bag of Zooms and 3/0 Gammis anytime soon.
Ken
Whether they're right or wrong your hell bent on failing trying to change the direction of someone so hell bent in their mission, but it works both ways.
Flippin TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 11:01 AM   #62
PAfisher76
BassFishin.Com Member

Exactly, just because YOU believe you're right dosen't make you any better or more right than the lady in the original post.
PAfisher76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 11:06 AM   #63
PAfisher76
BassFishin.Com Member

nofear, I believe a good debater is someone who can see both sides of an argument,not just the most popular side.
PAfisher76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 02:36 PM   #64
nofearengineer

When I took an Ethics course in college, my professor told us he would divide the class of 32 people into 4 topics of debate. Each side of each debate would have 4 people. Then we were to all sign up on the side of the particular debate we wanted to support.

Here's where things got interesting. He then made us support the opposite side of the argument we had asked for.

Long story short, I demolished the side opposing abortion rights. I'm still a bit uncomfortable about that, but it wasn't about my personal beliefs. It was about debating skills. i do even better on positions I actually believe in.

So let's not get into the "popularity" of my beliefs. If you feel I made a logical error, please point it out. Make your case. Please tell me which of my points were merely opinions. I stated facts, not opinions; I directly quoted the Constitution for crying out loud...with zero refutation other than to simply repeat the same incorrect statement.
Old 09-11-11, 05:24 PM   #65
bassboogieman

Dang it Bryce don't you ever quit? I couldn't help myself.................

Of course the Legend has grown since college
IT'S NOW A 4XL.

oh yeah, it's comming, wait for it..........................
Old 09-11-11, 06:18 PM   #66
nofearengineer

Ridicule...the last refuge of the beaten.
Old 09-11-11, 07:22 PM   #67
bassboogieman

See? Told ya. It can't be ridicule, if it be da truth. C'mon man, admit it - that WAS funny.
Old 09-12-11, 10:12 PM   #68
Flippin TN
BassFishin.Com Member

Do Fish Feel Pain?
By Dr. James D. Rose, University of Wyoming

http://cotrout.org/do_fish_feel_pain.htm

I've taken an excerpt from a somewhat lengthy explanation but well worth reading if really interested in an answer to the original question "do fish feel pain". It goes considerably farther than just a lot of opinion and debate. I don't think the woman you mentioned would give a crap really but memorize this excerpt and next time you could dazzle her with your brilliance.

"When a fish is hooked by an angler, it typically responds with rapid swimming behavior that appears to be a flight response. Human observers sometimes interpret this flight response to be a reaction to pain, as if the fish was capable of the same kind of pain experience as a human. From the previous explanation, it should be clear that fish behavior is a result of brainstem and spinal patterns of activity that are automatically elicited by the stimulation of being hooked, but that fish don’t have the brain systems necessary to experience pain. It is very important to note that the flight responses of a hooked fish are essentially no different from responses of a fish being pursued by a visible predator or a fish that has been startled by a vibration in the water. These visual and vibratory stimuli do not activate nociceptive types of sensory neurons so the flight responses can’t be due to activation of pain-triggering neural systems. Instead, these flight responses of fish are a general reaction to many types of potentially threatening stimuli and can’t be taken to represent a response to pain. Also, these flight responses are unlikely to reflect fear because the brain regions known to be responsible for the experience of fear, which include some of the same regions necessary for the emotional aspect of pain, are not present in a fish brain. Instead, these responses are simply protective reactions to a wide range of stimuli associated with predators or other threats, to which a fish automatically and rapidly responds.

Although fish don’t have the capacity to experience human-like pain or suffering, their reactions to nociceptive stimuli or capture are still important because these reactions include the secretion of stress hormones. These stress hormones can have undesirable health effects on fish if they are secreted in large amounts over a long period of time. So, it’s important when practicing catch-and-release fishing to observe the usually recommended procedures of landing a fish before it is exhausted and returning it to the water quickly."

I'm convinced fish dont feel pain and I haven't read anything so far to convince me other wise.
Old 09-12-11, 10:30 PM   #69
joedog

Thanks Flipping thats what I thought but now, thanks to you, I know!!! And can prove it! Found out this lady was from the Rotary Gardens adjacent to where I fish. I went to the link you shared and you will never guess whats getting posted on the Rotaries pin board in their lobby tomorrow morning. Thanks again!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-11, 10:26 AM   #70
Flippin TN
BassFishin.Com Member

That will be interesting for sure.
Old 07-11-12, 10:02 AM   #71
hunter34
BassFishin.Com Member

while I do hunt and fish I respect wild life for the treehugger greenies they believe
what they do is politcally correct simply put for those of us that hunt and fish there
are no questions and for the treehugger greenies there are no answers
hunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 11:33 AM   #72
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thumbs up I feel even BETTER now

Before reading the quote from Dr. Rose, here is how the last dialogue I had with one of those folks went:

PETA: How can you stand to cause pain to the fish?

Me: I look at the natural world and it looks like the predator-prey relationship is horribly painful and cruel. Did you realize that a preyfish often survives for a length of time in the predator's stomach, while it is exposed to the digestive acids? Have you ever seen wolves start to devour a deer while it is still alive?

PETA: But the animals have no choice. You do!

Me: Correct I do. And I have made it. So do you. I do not expect to change your mind, any more than you will change mine. I really think I've said all that is worth saying. Have a good afternoon.

NOW, I can make it far simpler:

PETA: How can you stand to cause the fish pain?

Me: You need to do some more review of the research. Good Afternoon.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.