Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-06, 09:03 AM   #1
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default tackle im buying with my birthday money

thought id ask your opinions... i posted this on njbass, but nj is a small state. anyways, any opinions on this?
took tons of thinking, but i think i know what i want. ill assume im getting around 240$ total. 20 dollars from everyone who is coming. some may just bring gifts tho. my parents are likely to give me a workbook, just like last year. ok, well anyways, here is my list, please comment on the stuff im going to buy

An emerald spinning rod. likely to be medium heavy, because the owner said thats best for bass. its 55 dollars with shipping and minus my friends discount. http://protackle.net/Emeraldrodspage.html

Going to dicks and buying myself any good reel that is above 25 but below 40 dollars, so i can use the coupon that other guy posted (thanks!) lets assume it was 40 bucks... 30$ in total

buying a few allluringbaits trick sticks. i have 2 friends sponsored by alluring, and they can get me an assorted color 50 trick sticks at 10 bucks. plus te owner would throw in a couple extra. 10$, probably 15$ total

probably 12 dollars worth of pourboys plastic lures. once again, a sponsored friend saves me 20%.
http://www.alluringbaits.com/products.php?id=14&cat=5

then a new tackle box that is divided, so my hooks dont get tangled. id say about 30 bucks

math:
55+ 30+ 15 + 12+ 30= 142$. the rest id spend over the fishing year for more stuff if i need it. how is this plan? are my choices good? thanks
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 09:21 AM   #2
Fishie

yeah, they are alright, Pourboy plastics are pretty good just really really soft so you are going to go through them really really fast. I have fished them and they were a little too soft for me for just fishing for fun. I think you might want to check out www.softbaitmaker.com or got to Geocities BitnBass that is Nj. Dave Zake there has beavers and other stuff too... Word of warning you will go throught the Pourboys really fast so if you want a bait that will last you longer look into these.

Ghost baits makes the softest baits I believe but they are like one fish only. So don't recommend these for your finacial situation.

Tell your parents that you can get a workbook on your own. Tell them it's my birthday and Why are you giving me a workbook are you crazy. Tell them that you are going to get them dish detergent and a vacum for there birthday or trash bags maybe they will get the point. I never heard of anyone getting something like that on their birthday. Ask them if they got that crap on their birthdays when they were young.
Old 01-15-06, 09:33 AM   #3
crankybait

forgot about those bitnbass lures... yeah i think im buying a few of those too. and yeah, i have some ghostbaits. one sample pack. i caught a white carp or something with a ghostbaits split tail in cornmeal and dough. and the pourboys... i wont go thru em fast because im a horrible fisherman. if i catch one fish and lose a lure becasue of it, then id be happy anyways. right now, i just need somethign fish-catching at a good price. i dont care how weak it is, as long as i catch something.

and my parents grew up in india. there were no birthday parties or presents. its just a regular day. and they say a workbook is a good gift because it is the gift of education. money can be stolen. education cant... of course money buys fun, and educatio doesnt. my parents are crazy about work. they went to court to get me to skip kindergardten for gods sake! they even made a huge fuss in 5th grade to get me in high reading. after 3 months of complainging, the teacher broke. then they signed me up for medical skool, when i dont even want to be a doctor! i want to be a lawyer! but anyways, they even changed around my essay of why i should go... i thought it was good, but they took out most of my hobbies and put in academic stuff. but i really dont care, because if i make good money, i can get better fishing stuff
Old 01-15-06, 09:35 AM   #4
crankybait

woah... that softpoured baits site has some crazy stuff! a great selection, thanks!
Old 01-15-06, 09:39 AM   #5
Fishie

Your parents are doing the right thing deffinately by stressing your academics. My parents are the same but books on your birthday that sucks.
If you are not doing work in school on your own you are going to be screwed. They just had a show on the other night how Americas Students get cheated.
I would buy some Yammie senkos if I were you then if you are that bad. Those are really good. Maybe some yammie hula grubs too. One of my best baits this year was a tube lizard by Strike king. I caught so many big fish in the spring on it. Got a whole lot of crankbaits? I would do some searching on ebay.
Old 01-15-06, 09:42 AM   #6
Fishie

I won a forum tournament on them even though it doesn't make much difference. The ones at www. softbaitmaker.com are good. They make a winged worm kinda like a draginfly worm from Manns' only larger its about 7 iches long. They also make identicle power craws. GeocitiesBitnbass has got good prices and stuff. You might want to also check out Maniac worms they got good dropshot worms.
Old 01-15-06, 09:44 AM   #7
crankybait

oh, im not bad at academics at all... my parents just overly annoy me thats all. they werent happy with straight A's lol, but i dont blame em. and senkos? those are expensive! would the alluring trick sticks do as good? and also, i forgot to mention a few baits from assalt lures. some ringer worms and salt shakers. i have a few crankbaits, probably around 15. i bought 3 from walmart, 8 from enlure.com, and about 10 were donated to me. then i lost about 5 at lake george, and maybe 1 or 2 at my home lake. but i have some lizards... not tube lizards, but theyre by strike king too
Old 01-15-06, 09:45 AM   #8
crankybait

oh, and about bitenbass... i hear beaverbaits are hard to hook a fish with. is that true? something about a groove in the back,a nd the fish like doesnt get stuck hard? and the maniac worms link didnt work, but i dont have a boat so i cant drop shot anyways
Old 01-15-06, 10:02 AM   #9
crankybait

oh and ill probably buy this reel for 30 bucks
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...earchId=562571
Old 01-15-06, 11:09 AM   #10
Fishie

Good reel, I don't have a boat either. You don't need one for dropshotting. That's BS. Beavers are not hard to hook fish on that's BS. Just set the hook hard! I got a 4.1 GPA this semester. Hardest thing is going to be the Standardized tests. I go to a school thats like Andover now anyways but I never do great on those cause I don't test good like that. All my classes in school are 85 percent test to your grade however which doesn't make sense. I should be good?
Old 01-15-06, 11:13 AM   #11
crankybait

are you sure you dont need a boat for dropshotting? from what ive read, you just hang a line off a boat and use light line. for me, standardizing testing is best. but its soooo hard to pay attention in class, so i usually have to cram it all on my own before regular quizzes
Old 01-15-06, 11:59 AM   #12
KH.

about the spinning reel here is my two cents.we all hear about bearings and the more the smoother and the longer it will last. last year was my first year with a baitcaster, the other 3 years fishing was with all spinning reels.probally the cheapest spinning reel i own is mitchell avocet.it is good,espescially for the money.ball bearings imo,are more important than spinning than they are baitcasting reels.and i would be more willing to buy a cheap baitcaster than a cheap spinning reel because of bearings,line twist ect.what im trying to say here is i believe most spinning reels will die before the first year if they are low quality imo.but,if you dont use a spinning reel alot than its not that much of deal.unlike me i use them heavily,quality is important.i have used cheap spinning reels before and they may die down before 4 months!!! i will list my favorite spinning reels and their price.

pflueger president 50-65(try the baitcasting too)
mitchell avocet gold only 35$
abu garcia cardinal 60$ (there is cheaper models)
and the shimano spirex, 60$
Old 01-15-06, 12:07 PM   #13
crankybait

nice post kh. the reason i dont buy a baitcasting reel is because i dont want to have to buy a baitcasting rod which i cant use on other reels. ive heard good stuff about the president. if they have it at dicks, im just browsing the whoel pfleuger line. and i think itll last, because i m not so great, and so even ifi catch a few fish at the expense of my reel, id feel good knowing i could atleast catch fish. mitchell advocet gold? i have the silver, doesnt work too great for me. cant pull in a small branch with that, but maybe i set the drag wrong. ill retry it later. the ardinal. i have a cardinal 103T, it was 30 bucks. i only got the trigger because 103t sounded cooler, didnt know what T stood for... and the spirex... never ehard ofit, will lok into it
Old 01-15-06, 06:09 PM   #14
KH.

i hear ya,spirex is alright.i listed some of the cheaper spinning reels. oh,just to let you know, my trion is on the way!
Old 01-15-06, 06:36 PM   #15
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

if your gonna buy a pflueger spinning reel buy the medalist.it has an all aluminum frame where the president is graphite.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults
Old 01-15-06, 07:06 PM   #16
KH.

please note that the medalist is salt water
Old 01-15-06, 10:40 PM   #17
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie
Good reel, I don't have a boat either. You don't need one for dropshotting. That's BS. Beavers are not hard to hook fish on that's BS. Just set the hook hard! I got a 4.1 GPA this semester. Hardest thing is going to be the Standardized tests. I go to a school thats like Andover now anyways but I never do great on those cause I don't test good like that. All my classes in school are 85 percent test to your grade however which doesn't make sense. I should be good?
#40 02-16-04, 04:23 AM
Fishie
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran Join Date: Jun 2005

Re: Whats everyone got for a boat?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2001 Javlin 21' ,250 Mercury Optimax, dark blue flake, it's my baby....
Old 01-15-06, 11:54 PM   #18
bass kicker

with the money left over you could get a decent baitcasting reel or start saving towards a small boat like what i did
Old 01-16-06, 03:23 PM   #19
crankybait

with the reel id need a rod. and a small boat is at least 300 bucks, thats a horrible quality canoe too. only thing would be like a blow up tube, but i wouldnt feel safe in that. ill stick to land until i get a job. and hows this? i just remembered about it, and might be able to get a deal thru fish on... ill have to wait and see. i might get my name engraved onto it, and i like the line capacity, cuz it suits just the kidn of line i use. 10 pound test triline
Old 01-16-06, 06:13 PM   #20
Wishing2BFishing

Default My 2 cents for crankybait

Crankybait, forget the lures and tackle. That stuff is fun to buy but you would be much better off getting a quality fishing reel. You can go cheap with the rod for now and buy some tackle during the spring. My recommendation is a Shimano Symetre, size 2500 or 4000. If you are interested in buying a combo, get a rod and reel from Bass Pro. You could get the Xtreme rod and shimano stradic. Bar none, my favorite spinning combo.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 01:01 PM   #21
PowerBass

Lets Face it, this kid is cheap! You can reccomend one thing to him and he will say either it is too expensive or it is crap. If you didnt see this by now, then your blind. I am a member of NJBass, and he does the same things over there, post questions, go off topic, and then it ends up in a 15 page argument.
Old 01-17-06, 04:10 PM   #22
crankybait

powerbass, way to start a fight on another peaceful topic. yeah, you got a problem with me being cheap? maybe you get it from having enough money to buy stuff. and ive followed reccomendations before, thats how i ended up with my ugly stik which i consider crap. however, i have also follwed islandbass and like 13 other people who said a cardinal is good. that was some helpfl tinking there. and im sure everyone has seen it by now, so you dont need to tell them again. i post questions, but whose the one who makes em off topic? people like you with sentences like "oh this kid is cheap". thats how the other one turned into a fight. so basically, youre taking this topic off topic right now. this has been a good topic, and some nice replies, and then this, totaly irrelevant. so if youre wondering why all my posts turn into fights, re read your post. plus, if i dont take reccomendations, why do you think i have all the stuff thats there on my list?

and winning, i just bought my cardinal. a bunch of people said it was good, so i think i have a good quaity reel. ill have to see the prices and stuff. do you have a link? powerbass dont come back and start anymore fights
Old 01-17-06, 04:17 PM   #23
PowerBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait
powerbass dont come back and start anymore fights

Awww....
Old 01-17-06, 04:19 PM   #24
crankybait

dont know what you mean by aww, but ill ignore it
Old 01-17-06, 04:20 PM   #25
crankybait

oh i get it. well then if you want to start a useless fight, just pm me...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.