Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-06, 06:45 AM   #1
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default still looking for someone to fish with...

can somebody from nj please come fishing with me? once? ive definetely been doing something wrong, and by being with another angler i think i can learn what im doing wrong and correct it so i can actually catch fish
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-06, 06:55 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'll swing by cranky, but I don't kiss on the first day...mkay?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-06, 08:31 AM   #3
flbassman

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cranky... Bit of a drive for me...
Old 05-18-06, 09:29 AM   #4
Captmikestarrett

Do we have to fish in NJ ? How about Delaware say the Nanticoke.?

It is only a three hour tow from my house in SMIB-ville

Capt Mike
Captmikestarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-06, 01:53 PM   #5
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

sorry,i'm busy that day..uh..my boat is broke..uh...oh yeah,i'm moving out of jersey tomorrow...
Old 05-18-06, 04:15 PM   #6
crankybait

... ok ill just ask somewhere else, just forget it
Old 05-18-06, 04:23 PM   #7
Captmikestarrett

Default An offer is on the table.

Don't get cranky ... gosh. I live way down in SMIB-ville MD and I really could use a passenger for this Saturday's research trip. You game for a long drive? Fish the Potomac out of Mattawomen? My boat, my way? Cold water and sodas included..

Capt Mike
Captmikestarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-06, 04:38 PM   #8
flbassman

Easy... I offered, but it's a heckuva drive. If you're ever in Florida I'll take you.
Old 05-18-06, 06:36 PM   #9
Bender

If I ever get to N.J. for work I would go (no offense, but I don't see myself going there for pleasure), but I would be in the same boat (or lask thereof) stuck fishing from the bank. If you ever get to southeast Michigan let me know.
Actually I was in Newark last weekend, for 2 hours at the airport.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-06, 07:11 PM   #10
crankybait

capt mike- im 13. i dont think id be able to get down there. shoulda told you that before.

im just pretty ticked that i like never catch fish... its getting aggravating, and having a few people just joke around about it is a bit annoying...

bender, im like 20 mins away from newark... just remember to let me know if you ever end up in nj again
Old 05-18-06, 07:42 PM   #11
JB

cranky,
is there any way you can walk completely around the pond when you go fishing? I would think if theres any bass at all in there sooner of later one would bite, or even buy some live bait and see whats in there, may give you an idea what area they are relating to that day
Old 05-18-06, 08:05 PM   #12
Lee Boy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Lee Boy

good point jb honestly if im fishin a pond i like to throw dog food out if there is catfish there are brimif theres brim ull see dem bass comin for the brim just scater it all in the water see what pops up
Old 05-18-06, 08:56 PM   #13
crankybait

definetely are bass, people have caught up to 54 there (some random guy i was talknig to). i can easily walk completely around, its a 5 acre pond. ive been around it so many times and only three times i landed a fish. i figured im doing something drastically wrong but dont know what it is. would be so much easier to go with someone, copy what they do, and catch some fish. that way i can build up and make my own method. all 3 fish came from the same spot.

there are catfish ive seen pics... havent seen brim though
Old 05-21-06, 08:14 AM   #14
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

Something to try.......it will cost you about three dollars.....pick up a pack of Zoom Ultra Vibe Speedworms in Watermelon/Red (green with red glitter.} Cut off all the tails a half inch up on the body.....that is a half inch up from the actual flat hook tail. You now have a lure that looks like a Senko. Texpose the lure on a 2/0 offset shank worm hook weightless. You do fish this weightless and I heartily recommend using no more than 8 lb test line, 6 is even better, but 8 will do. Now comes the hard part......the patience.....

Cast the lure to likely cover or structure, with the bail open on the reel, let the worm sink to the bottom. If the bass are active, the lure will never get there....so watch your line carefully at all times....if it moves, crank and yank.
If no bass grabs it on the fall, let the lure set still on bottom for at least 30 seconds.....if still nothing, lift the lure slowly off bottom about two feet....this lifting is for you to feel for fish, if nothing on, give a tiny twitch of the wrist at the top of the lift and let fall again.......when you twitch the lure, the rod tip should only move a couple inches..... let it fall and set on bottom for 20 seconds....if still nothing.....lift slowly two feet again and reel in at a moderate speed.

Using this method of fishing, the slow-fall deadsticking approach simply requires taking a deep breath, slowing down and relaxing. You will really catch some nice fish if you can develop the patience.

While casting, you can also use a skipping cast......sometimes this makes the bass think there is something up on top feeding.....chasing and all that. But, at other times a regular cast seems to work as well. Just have to try different casts from time to time to find the best one that day.

The great thing about fishing the speedworm body is that you are fishing the entire water column on each cast......and better than a senko or senko type lure, this one falls slowly with no internal salt.

When you get frustrated about not catching fish, you probably are trying too hard......throwing everything in your box, but in a frustrated manner, trying to cover as much water as possible and may even be cranking too fast in the process.

My wife has a different take when fishing the speedworm body.....and does very well with the method she developed. She uses a graphite rod with a Zebco 33 reel. She casts, lets the worm fall to bottom and waits about 20 seconds. Just after casting, she lays the line across the top of her finger to feel the line if it moves as well as watching carefully. After the 20 seconds, she takes one s-l-o-w turn on the reel handle and pauses again. After each 15 second pause, she takes one more SLOW turn of the reel handle. After the lure has moved about ten feet across the bottom, she reels in at a moderate pace and casts to another likely spot. This is patience and careful observation of the line at its best.

Color of the worm.....I've tried different colors of Zoom speedworms and by far, the watermelon/red works the best of the colors offered. I've tried them in Canada, Michigan and Tennessee. I don't know what there is particularly about watermelon/red glitter, but it does work the best of all.

You may discover different techniques using the speedworm bodies as you learn. Wacky rigging at times seems o work well, dropshotting may be the answer at times, but most of the time, the above methods work well for us.

If this works well for you, kindly post your results.....thanks, and good fishing, Mac
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-06, 08:30 AM   #15
crankybait

woah... now thats awesome. that was really helpful, thanks a lot. i may go today, if my mom isnt busy... got no speedworms for now, would this technique work with anything else?

yeah your right, i probably am trying too hard... reeling in after like 5 seconds and switching lures every like 5 casts. i hope this works. thanks again
Old 05-21-06, 09:28 AM   #16
PowerBass

Cranky just fish a pond, youll eventually catch.
Old 05-21-06, 11:24 AM   #17
crankybait

thats what ive been doing, havent caught a thing. caught all 3 of my fish at the sam pond
Old 05-21-06, 12:23 PM   #18
Fishing4Soup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

When i fish a pond, I only need a couple lures:
1-Rapala Jointed minnow with a very slow. steady retrieve
2-Either a Rapala skitter pop or a HulaPopper-let it sit there for maybe 3-5 seconds then jerk it a little bit and repeat. If a bass jumps up after it or a boil appears near it and you miss the fish, reel the popper in and cast a worm(I use a 7" berkley Powerbait worm in red shad). Get a frog color for the popper.
3-At night is when i catch the most fish. Use a black jitterbug and just reel in pretty slowly. The jitterbug catches me most of my fish.

hope this helps a little.
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-06, 12:24 PM   #19
Fishing4Soup

and if you dont want to get new lures, take one or two lures with you and fish them the whole time until you figure out how to use the bait. This is how i started catching fish. Switching baits after 5 casts almost never catches fish for me.
Old 05-21-06, 01:08 PM   #20
JB

i probably am trying too hard... reeling in after like 5 seconds and switching lures every like 5 casts. ~cranky

cranky, lay off the redbull before you go fishing,, you need to slow way the F down. Throw a plastic out and let it sink , wait a minute before you slowing move it a few inches, if you see a lay down like a tree or brush or weeds, pick it apart, remember, bass seek SHADE most of the times
Old 05-21-06, 01:35 PM   #21
crankybait

yeah i guess. i do notice that i change lures way too often, last trip i used 12 different lures in 2 hours. and the thing is i didnt even try a plastic... usually i start reeling as soon as it hits the water, could that be why im not catching fish? i usually do throw it into the shade though, no problem there. theres like a tree that hangs over the water. i cast right under it, because im sure the tree mustve dropped a few limbs down there.

oh and i have a skitterpop, but it looks a bit big
Old 05-21-06, 03:11 PM   #22
Fishing4Soup

I actually just found out that at my pond, the bigger the lure is, the more hits you get. I've caught bass smaller than some of my lures on the lure i was using. Im only 15 otherwise i would come down and fish with you. What kinda of structure is in the pond and what is the bottom like?
Old 05-21-06, 03:40 PM   #23
crankybait

have no idea what the structure or bottom is like... but i do always get hung up right in the middle of the lake
Old 05-21-06, 03:42 PM   #24
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

yeah cranky, you gotta let the plastics have time to sink. You dont wanna reel em in as soon as they hit the water.
Old 05-23-06, 09:16 PM   #25
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If those other fish are in the water, there are bream or else you'd be catching bass like crazy since they'd likely be starving for a good meal. Fish slower..let EVERY bait have time to drop. It sounds likely that you aren't even giving a lure time to be shown to fish OR time to get down to where fish are gonna be. Most of the day, bass will be on or very near the bottom and/or holding onto some type of cover/structure...so you gotta get your lures to those locations.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.