Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-18-04, 05:50 AM   #1
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261
Default 10 big bass secrets.

No. 1
Huge bass are notoriously lazy and are wanderers looking for something which doesn't fight back. For this reason I will modify my wooden topwater lures until they are barely buoyant and allow them to sink after pulling them a few feet.

No. 2
Buck tail Magic
Buck tail spinner baits and buck tail spinners catch some of the biggest bass I have seen. Usually caught while fishing for muskie. The buck tail material is notorious for catching larger fish amongst fish such as trout, muskie and smallmouth and its blury action can also work wonders on large bass

No. 3
Jig and Pig is always a big bass catcher
Swimming it from shallow to deeper water at a lazy rate has produced my biggest bass. The water is very clear in this area and because of this bigger fish will avoid the boat. Longer pitches down slow banks are required to get the largest bass.

No. 4
Never Stop Casting. I have seen massive bass come out of nothingness. Keep casting to any transition you see. Color changes in the bottom and rock structure changes on the shore are places not commonly casted to and can produce the biggest bass.

No. 5
Stormy Weather can move big bass into shallow cover. Fishing big texas rigged worms through matte cover can produce behemoths which would be more difficult to catch in normal conditions

No 6
Areas which produce big bass will continue to produce big bass. If a you catch a big bass on a certain piece of cover there is a good chance that another bass will return to that cover. The time of day that this occurs may be difficult to time so return to the spot often at different times of the day.

No 7
Lures which produce big bass should be marked and kept in another case. Salmon fishermen I know in Nova Scotia will keep every fly which catches a salmon and put it into a different case. They then try to duplicate that pattern as accurately as possible. Put your big bass lures into a different case until tournament day and try to record the conditions of the catch including cover, weather and barometer. If those conditions match on tournament day then that lure could be a big hit.

No. 8
Shallow areas and cover near the deepest water are where the biggest bass in an area will hang out. Their escape to deep water is the reason that they have grown so large. Find deep areas to 20 feet, shallow flats, cover and dropoffs.

No 9
Big lures retrieved in a lazy fashion like long worms and shads make for an easy lunker lunch. Emphasis on lazy.

No.10
Zara Spook. Enough said. It catches above average fish.

[glow=blue,2,300] Robby. [/glow]
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-04, 06:07 PM   #2
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Re: 10 big bass secrets.

wow...thanks alot zilla
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-04, 10:39 PM   #3
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

and fish as much as humanly possible..
the more time on the water increases your chances of hangin a really big one.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-04, 09:17 AM   #4
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

On culprit type worms with two colors, occasionally rig one with the colors reversed. Also, occasionally try lighter lures on darker days, darker lures on brighter.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-04, 01:26 PM   #5
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

I have always had good luck using medium tackle and flippin' a senko type bait wacky rigged.The larger bass seem to like the slow drop rate of a weightless wachy rig.I fished a tree that had fallen in about 3-5 feet of water,I had a feeling that a big one was in there.After 17 casts around the same part of the tree,I saw the line "tick" and there she was.The largest of the day.I like to use the BPS sticko's and the reason i flip the bait,it seems to produce more the softer the bait hits the water.
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 03:48 AM   #6
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

well, rob's post was one of the most simple but one of the most accurate posts I have seen yet on big bass. Big fish are rather simple fish, that inhabit complex environments, but follow rather simple patterns. Too bad us humans are rather simple creatures ourselves, lol. Finding big fish is really the easy part, making them bite is the hard part. If we all knew how many times we have pulled a bait past a double digit fish, I am sure we would all be sick right now, lol.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 02:41 PM   #7
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

[glow=red,2,300]
Continuation

No 11
Night time fishing. Big bass have grown large because they have avoided the daytime catch. Few people fish at night and these night predators are some of the biggest bass available. Try live bait, big worms and big jitterbugs.

No 12
Small water, low fishing pressure difficult access lake. The Beverley lakes around here produce monster bass over 5lbs and are thought to contain the next Ontario record.

No 13
Displace Water:
Big Fish are subject to a big easy meal which is why Zara Spook, Colorado Thumpers, Jig and Pig and turning down the lip on jerk baits so that the lure displaces more water can catch bigger than average fish

No 14
Confidence: Review all of your big bass techniques and go out and fish with confidence that you will catch a fish on every cast.

No 15
Fish with the current (opposite of trout) especially when site fishing, your trolling motor will require a higher setting otherwise and will more easily scare and turn off the fish

No 16
Fish Into the sun at midday, Keep your boat shadow behind you, this shadow can change the mood of an otherwise active bass

No 17
Fish on the side of the lake that the wind is blowing to: The waves create oxygen and collect bugs which collect baitfish which attracts Lunkers

No 18
Double and Triple Insulate your boat deck and don't walk around. The boat deck is almost always part of the structure of the boat and the hull of the boat is and amplifier for noise, big bass are big because they are usually turned off by the sound of a boat

No 19
If your boat went into an area noisily, take a quiet break and have something to eat, The fish will return the this area when they are used to the boat being there

No 20
Fill your boat with gas a couple of days before using it and never touch the gas can before fishing and touching lures

[/glow]
Old 12-20-04, 03:08 PM   #8
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

[quote author=ROBZILLA link=board=news;num=1103359841;start=0#6 date=12/20/04 at 12:41:06][glow=red,2,300] Â*

No 12
Small water, low fishing pressure difficult access lake. The Beverley lakes around here produce monster bass over 5lbs and are thought to contain the next Ontario record.

Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* [/glow][/quote]

I'll agree with that one. Almost all of the ponds here that are visible from the road, surrounded by tons of houses, or are in a local park are way overpressured. People fish it way too much and a bunch of people keep near everything they catch. I like to fish ponds on inbetween patches of woods and neighborhoods, on golf courses, private lakes, And ones that may be surrounded by houses which are spaced far from eachother. These ones typically produce the best big fish.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 07:18 PM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=ROBZILLA link=board=news;num=1103359841;start=0#6 date=12/20/04 at 12:41:06][glow=red,2,300]
Continuation

No 11
Night time fishing. Big bass have grown large because they have avoided the daytime catch. Few people fish at night and these night predators are some of the biggest bass available. Try live bait, big worms and big jitterbugs.

[/glow][/quote]

Well I wasn't gonna say anything, especially since you finally added it. These are some of the best times for big bass. And the Jitterbug is MY PERSONAL FAVORITE, painted FLAT BLACK all over.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 07:20 PM   #10
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i second #20

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 12:28 AM   #11
spinnerbaitking
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spinnerbaitking

if your competitive with your partener offer to pay if he pumps. same trick helps me out hunt nearly every friend i have taken deer hunting. gas is one of the strongest long lasting and odors that send fish and deer flying the other direction. got a friend who constantly out fishes me i think i might spike his bait scent with just a hint of good old gasoline. hahhaha(evil laugh of a sinister board fisherman during winter)

question on night time fishing what ares do you guys target? shallow, deep, same as daytime patterns? or just anything and everything till you find what works?
spinnerbaitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 01:41 AM   #12
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=snag-a-matic link=board=news;num=1103359841;start=0#10 date=12/20/04 at 22:28:02]if your competitive with your partener offer to pay if he pumps. same trick helps me out hunt nearly every friend i have taken deer hunting. gas is one of the strongest Â*long lasting and odors that send fish and deer flying the other direction. got a friend who constantly out fishes me i think i might spike his bait scent with just a hint of good old gasoline. hahhaha(evil laugh of a sinister board fisherman during winter)

question on night time fishing what ares do you guys target? shallow, deep, same as daytime patterns? or just anything and everything till you find what works?[/quote]

Check this site out.

Robby[url http://glowmates.nuclearlures.com/so...tails.htm/url]
Old 12-21-04, 08:50 AM   #13
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=snag-a-matic link=board=news;num=1103359841;start=0#10 date=12/20/04 at 22:28:02]

question on night time fishing what ares do you guys target? shallow, deep, same as daytime patterns? or just anything and everything till you find what works?[/quote]

I personally think it's depends on the water you are fishing. I've found the bass here in Indiana, will move up to flats, or shallower areas. There is however always some deep water very close by. I target these flats, and points, adjacent to the deeper water. The key is to find something CLOSE to deeper water. I'm lucky that the main body of water I fish almost everything is Close to deep water, since it's a deep coal pit. Don't think the bass won't chase a good meal for a time, such as a dark spinnerbait. But if you give them a real slow presentation, it usually is more effective for me. TOPWATER is just the most exciting fishing in the WORLD IMO, so I prefer to use the Jitterbugs at night, due to the noise, and vibrations they make. However LOOOOONNNG pauses without moving the lure will also touch off those strikes that you normally wouldn't get by a constant retrieve. I could go on and on, but all I can tell you, that during the summer months, I PREFER night fishing more than anything else. ;D Just gotta keep the bats away

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 06:48 PM   #14
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

No 21
Exit the boat and put on your waders when you go into a shallow bay.
This move is illegal in most all tornaments because of the big bass it can produce. When I have tried this technique there have been many fish that I was not ever able to land. You have to use 40+pound test to muscle the fish off its cover becasuse you are not as mobile as you would be if you were in a boat and you could go to the catch. Be very quiet with short strides.

No 22
When you are fishing with a partner and your partner gets their lure stuck on bottom. Tell them to shake the lure slightly to try to free it up. Make at least a couple of casts to areas near this spot. If the structure is good enough to get a lure caught up then it is a good spot to hide prey. A cast to an area near this can produce a big bass which would have been scared off by having a boat approach to remove the lure. This works often. Partner should just shake the lure lightly.

No 23
Tie a loop knot on the lure
Many of the absolute best fishermen I know will always tie a loop knot on the lure. People believe that an acurately profiled lure will have its most natural action if it is not tied directly to the line,

No 24
Lift The rod to a parrallel position
When pitching long casts the quietest entry can be maintained if you move the rod to a higher parrallel position just before and at the entry of the lure to the water. This is the best way to absorb the entry force of the lure entering the water. After the lure hits the water quickly drop the rod tip and spool out an arms length of line to allow the lure to fall freely.

No 25
Burke Fishing Jigs with bottom draping Rattle
This rattle will absorb the energy of the entry much like a divers hands will when they make a quiet entry into the water. The rattle enters first and the lead head follows.

No 26
Trolling motor
One of the biggest mistakes I see when I am fishing in someone elses boat and they are pitching is to see them on the trolling motor after every single cast making small adjustments. It is always best to move to an area and I make at least 5 casts and usually 10 before I move the boat. The trolling motor should be used in longer runs at lower power than at full power for short bursts. People who I know who scuba dive say that if you move slowly you can move right up next to a bass. Any sudden movement and they will leave.

No 27
Dice up your Pig
I will always dice up my pig trailers when I am fishing for two main reasons. It will give the pig trailer a looser lazier better action and it will make the back of the pig look striated. This is very important because this allows you to match the hatch. It makes the bottom look fleshy on lighter colored pigs and makes the pig look segmented like the bottom of a crawdad where its legs attach.

No 28
Knots and Scent
Large fish are notorious for breaking knots and pulling knots out. If you use scent and get the scent on the knot it is the same as placing oil on the knot. It will come apart easily and should be retied after any fish or strike. The scent on your hands will also allow the knot to break free. The best solution for this is to oil the line before you tie the knot and use the improved clinch knot. Instead of putting one end of the line in your mouth and pulling the knot tight try tying a single knot on the end of the line and allow the line to slide tight when you tie the clinch knot. The first knot will pull towards the hook eyelet and will not come apart. Trim outside the first knot. It works well and you will have to retie less often.

No 29
Shore Fishing
When shore fishing very often the largest bass would have been sitting right under your feet. Before I approach the shore I will make casts while standing 20 feet from shore. This also works well when fishing the dock in front of your cottage. This is how I used to catch some of my largest fish. This is an old trout fishing technique.

[glow=blue,2,300] Robby. [/glow]
Old 12-22-04, 10:49 PM   #15
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Lure Types I use for Big Bass

Jigs
Black and Blue and Crawfish are my favorites. I tie big Burke Fishing Trailer on the back of the lures much like the one shown on the front page. They are avialable at Bennett's Bait and Tackle. The trailer has a natural swimming action and holds scent better than any other material because of its spongey texture. I use these whenever possible. It is my confidence bait and I feel that if fish are not hitting this then they are not hitting anything else either.

I generally like to use jigs by weight by depth. If I am fishing shallow then I will Fish lighter jigs and also if the water is colder or a cold front has just gone through.
1 to 4 feet I will throw a 1/4 oz, Spincasting rod usually
3 to 6 feet I will throw 3/8 oz, Baitcaster Pitching
5 to 10 feet I like to throw 1/2 oz, Flipping stick and Baitcaster
Heavy Matte is 3/4oz, Flipping stick

Worms
Big and Grape. I will almost always use paddletail worms rigged Texas Style. They dispace water better and scare away the panfish and pertch from biting on the tails. I only use them it two situations. When the Matte is very heavy and I cannot get jigs through it I will use a worm since it works its way through matte easier than jigs. Shake it to get it through, I will also use them when there is green slime in the water. The shape of the jig grabs the slime and destroys the presentation of the lure. In all other situations I will use a jig instead. Floating worms serve another purpose and can be an excellent shallow water quiet presentation.

Buzzbaits
I like back and yellow with either a gold or a black blade. I retrieve them slower than most and I try to get the blade to squeek, not buzz. You can do this by adding friction or resisance to the blade. It doesn't take much. These catch big fish and can be especially effective in the morning. I try to put them away after 8 in the morning unless the pattern is very strong.

Spinnerbaits
This is my best windy solution. I use two techinques. Since bass will face the wind and the current it is always best to cast into the wind since this will keep the lure in the sight or strike zone of the bass for a longer period of time. I always like chartreuse with big colorado thumpers just under the surface of the water.

Zara Spook
Walk the dog. I like to walk this lure coninualy especially since the profile of the lure is not completely natural. I will only pause lures which look extremely natural by profile. I try it whenever possible especially for the fun of it.

Sluggo
My fishing team uses this lure as a back of the boat lure. Many times we have seen bass pulled off cover by the lure used at the front of the boat and then the fish caught by a sluggo on the back of the boat while the bass was on its way back to the cover,

Robby.
Old 12-22-04, 11:11 PM   #16
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

always thought the lakes in canada were quite clear so why choose a chartuse spinner bait with colorado blades. seems white would work better with a combo blade.

i anit saying that it is the wrong choice but would you can to explain the reason for choosing this certain color?

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-04, 11:28 PM   #17
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=zooker link=board=news;num=1103359841;start=0#15 date=12/22/04 at 21:11:42]always thought the lakes in canada were quite clear so why choose a chartuse spinner bait with colorado blades. seems white would work better with a combo blade.

i anit saying that it is the wrong choice but would you can to explain the reason for choosing this certain color?

zooker [/quote]

We have a few muddy lakes up here, a lake called Rice lake which is stained and a few other lakes which using these baits come in handy.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.