Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-28-04, 06:45 PM   #1
Stephen
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Stephen
Default Abu Garcia

I'm planning to buy a couple of rods at Walley World soon, their Abu Garcia conolons. I know Abu Garcia makes oustanding reels for fresh and salt water but I honestly dont know about the rod side of the house, does anyone have any input? sure appreciate the help ;D
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 07:52 PM   #2
lmartinez
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to lmartinez
Default Re: Abu Garcia

me i dont realy care for the rod i mean a rods a rod not much difference from a 10 dollar rod and a 30 dollar rod i liked the berkely bionix rod tho my first DECENT rod

ask around like daves fourm or the fish talk forum and youll get an answer quicker
lmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 08:38 PM   #3
oldfisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to oldfisherman

i bought one i use it for flipping only they are low end tried to cast with it back lash city. no brake system to speak of. but works great as a flippin/pitching reel the 7foot rod has plenty of backbone to pull fish out of heavy cover. i would not recommend them if you a going to use them for cranks,spinners or anything ou have to do a lot of casting with it
oldfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-04, 02:34 AM   #4
bassguy2004

I would spend a little more on a reel. A reel has to work with the rod. Balance has alot to do with it.
Old 08-29-04, 07:14 AM   #5
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

The reel holds your line and casts the line. The rod is more important .Think about it . The rod casts the lures, fishes the baits, feels the fish bite,sets the hook and puts pressure and control to wear the fish down .Abu rods are good rods. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-04, 09:59 AM   #6
DaHorns73
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to DaHorns73

For the money abu garcia rods are good. I own a couple of rods made by abu and have caught plenty of bass with them.
DaHorns73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-04, 07:11 PM   #7
szimmerman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to szimmerman

I saw some Abu Garcia rods at Wal Mart last week!

There all under $30.00!

Who know's there might be some "conolon's"!
szimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 05:38 AM   #8
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

I used to be a huge fan of abu garcia. Unfortunately in recent years their reels and rods have gone down in quality, Especially their reels. I used to depend on abu garcia for reasonable price, and high quality. Not any more. I have had to replace more worm gears and what knots on abu garcia reels lately than ever before. I don't use their rods much, but if their reels are any reflection on their rods then I would go with something else. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. You might go out and buy a garcia rod and reel and it might last you for the rest of your life, but I doubt it. There are many more higher quality rods that you could buy at wally world. The Berkley bionx series is great, not to mention the lightning rods. My local wal-mart has started selling all-star, and falcon rods. One thing that stands true now days in bass fishing equipment is that you get what you pay for. I wish this wasn't the truth, but it is. The more you spend the better the equipment is going to be. Its a shame ain't it, LOL. good fishing
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 05:13 PM   #9
DARRYL_B
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to DARRYL_B

I have to say something in defense of my Abu Garcia reel. I purchased the new low profile Torno baitcaster with the new "infinispool" by Abu Garcia. Put it on a 7' MH Shimano Convergence rod. I wouldn't pick up anything else now. That is the smoothest thing I've thrown. The infinispool makes it easier throwing those lighter baits. I even have that Cajun Red line 14#test.
Very proud of my set up...I guess what I'm trying to say is you get what you pay for. $130 Abu Garcia reel, works great. $50 Abu Garcia reel, well you know.
DARRYL_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 05:36 PM   #10
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

[quote author=crown7 link=board=news;num=1093729519;start=0#8 date=08/30/04 at 16:13:33]I wouldn't pick up anything else now. That is the smoothest thing I've thrown. .[/quote]

Then I would be willing to bet you have not tried the Pflueger Trion LP or the Pflueger President.

Put one on a Falcon Rod, and get ready to consider everything else inferior.

Absloutly better than anything Abu-Garcia puts out.
I have owned garcia, both rods and reels, and i do not like them at all.

If you can get your hands on a Falcon Rod, get it. By all means, get it.

Just my Opinion.
Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 06:10 PM   #11
DARRYL_B
BassFishin.Com Member

Yes I have, Pflueger is pretty damn good too. I just couldn't find one I liked. I have a friend that honestly has about 30-50 tounament ready rod reel combos. I've thrown everything. I guess I'm weird.
Old 08-30-04, 06:26 PM   #12
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=crown7 link=board=news;num=1093729519;start=0#10 date=08/30/04 at 17:10:40]Yes I have, Pflueger is pretty damn good too. I just couldn't find one I liked. I have a friend that honestly has about 30-50 tounament ready rod reel combos. I've thrown everything. I guess I'm weird.[/quote]

No, you are not wierd. And I have met very few who have tried Pflueger and not liked them.I have over 20 myself, everything from Pflueger to Team Diawa. So i too have tried everything, and still fish them as needed.

Does'nt your Torno sound bad, like it is grinding or rubbing when you turn the handels? Everyone i ever tried at the stores sound like a cheese grater. Maybe it was just because it was the display model. Who Knows. ???

Charles
Old 08-30-04, 06:32 PM   #13
DARRYL_B
BassFishin.Com Member

That or they don't clean and lube. No grinding, just hummin.

Old 08-30-04, 07:10 PM   #14
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

bassboss
did you open reel and remove the spool? if so your mags are not in right. i had one come apart during a cast. got a new one anit flew a part yet and boy are they smooth..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 07:26 PM   #15
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

StetsD,
Those Garcia rods at walmart are probably the harold ensly rods. They are sorta cheap, not the cheapest that walmart offers, but really not that great as far as the blank is concerned. I really think the step up in quality from the the 20$ to the 50$ rods is enormous, and if you want the best bang for you buck I'd go with a rod that costs more than 50$ and less than 100$. After that you are paying progressivly more money on the margin.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 08:56 PM   #16
TopRob
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TopRob

I personaly Like the St.croix premeir their around 85 dollars and so sensitive you can feel the fish smellin your lure they are ausome for the money. Cant wait to get my hands on a Ledgend Elite but their pretty dang expensive.
TopRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 09:35 PM   #17
szimmerman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to szimmerman

Totally agree with you TJ. The Premeir's are my new favorite rod, and i will stik with them ;D
szimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-04, 12:10 AM   #18

Try a Rappala Sportsman series. All around a very nice rod...sensitive, light and strurdy. Best of all you won't spend $100 on it...they only cost about $35. Not top of the line like St. Croix, but one of the best [glow=red,2,300][/glow][glow=red,2,300]valued[/glow] rods on the market.
Old 08-31-04, 01:17 AM   #19
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=zooker link=board=news;num=1093729519;start=0#13 date=08/30/04 at 18:10:29]bassboss
did you open reel and remove the spool? if so your mags are not in right. i had one come apart Â*during a cast. got a new one anit flew a part yet and boy are they smooth..

zooker [/quote]

I have never owned a Torno. I have looked at a few in the stores, but I could never get over the rubbing/grinding. You could actually hear the gears rubbing or grinding every time i turned the handle. They sounded terrible.

Probably just the display models,and I am sure they are decent reels, but I think I will stick to Pflueger. I am really happy with em .

And aint that the most important tool in fishin. Confidence.

Find what you like and stick with it.

Charles
Old 08-31-04, 04:47 PM   #20
DARRYL_B
BassFishin.Com Member

Heck yeah...
Old 08-31-04, 09:26 PM   #21
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

bassboss
never said plueger did not make a good reel i have several-one was my first reel-only problem is they are not bait casting reels .nor spinning for that matter...

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 08-31-04, 09:32 PM   #22
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=zooker link=board=news;num=1093729519;start=0#20 date=08/31/04 at 20:26:05]bassboss
never said plueger did not make a good reel i have several-one was my first reel-only problem is they are not bait casting reels .nor spinning for that matter...

zooker [/quote]

huh? ??? ??? ???
Old 09-02-04, 06:38 PM   #23
DARRYL_B
BassFishin.Com Member

Pass it this way... ;D
Old 09-02-04, 08:27 PM   #24
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

it is a fly reel
personly i would have fits of giggles watching a west texas boy tring to slice a fly. and not pop him self in the noggin...

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.