Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-09, 04:35 PM   #1
LA Bullet
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Is a Winner boat a good boat?

I purchased a winner z660. I never heard of the brand before. So for it don't leak a drop. The boat is a 17 foot 1987 model and I just put a 1999 115 yamaha on it. I had a 23 pitch prop and it was hard to steer. Now I have a 21 pitch and I can trim and make it easy to steer. WOT is 6000 and doing 55 with GPS. Does this sound about right.
I am new to the forum. Waving a hand to all.
LA Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 04:42 PM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome LA I've never heard anything bad about Winner boats -- there is a couple of guys on here in the know that will help you, mainly Zooker and 1fastlaser. I was going to call them geniuses but I didn't want the rest of the board to light me up. LOL
Old 03-31-09, 05:16 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
there is a couple of guys on here in the know that will help you, mainly Zooker and 1fastlaser. I was going to call them geniuses
please dont it makes our heads swell and we just got our hats to fit right again...

winner boats are ok boats they are not blazing fast nor a big heavy beast.. i belive they are in the procraft or cajun preformance area..

mid 50's with a 115 is doin fairly well..

zooker
Old 03-31-09, 05:03 PM   #4
bamabassman

don't forget boater lash. yes pal, welcome to the bait monkey fodder site,hahahaha. take off your shoes and put on some hip waders cuz there is a lot of bull @#$% here. hahaha, all in good fun. some folks here will help ya out on yer rig. i have seen a lot of winner boats when i lived on the gulf coast. nice rigs if you ask me.
Old 03-31-09, 05:33 PM   #5
bamabassman

lash...zookers right. his moma can't find enough possums to knit another cap, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA.
Old 03-31-09, 07:36 PM   #6
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i got an 85 18" winner with an 150 love the boat ,i'm still working with the right prop size and pitch for best all around and from what they say here they is no wood all fiberglass. well it's good to see some one else with one
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 11:57 AM   #7
deereman1969
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Guys I also have a 86 winner Bass boat 18.5 tournement. I love it runs 68 gpsd with a 150 eveinrude 23 pitch prop!
deereman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 01:15 PM   #8
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

To someone with no boat at all, that sounds pretty good.
Old 06-12-10, 09:10 PM   #9
RichZ
BassFishin.Com Member

I ran a factory winner the last couple years they made them (closed in '88, if memory serves). Very solid boat, and ran really well in a moderate chop. For some reason, I see quite a few of them still going and still in very good shape (appearance-wise) up in VT.
RichZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 11:21 PM   #10
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

My fishing partner has a 1986 Winner Tournament 2 boat. It is 18'4" with a Merc 150, dual console. He has had it about 10 years and has absolutely no problems with it at all. With two of us (480 lbs) and full load the boats gets 56 gps. We did build a deck extension with under deck storage.
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 11:32 PM   #11
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB View Post
My fishing partner has a 1986 Winner Tournament 2 boat. It is 18'4" with a Merc 150, dual console. He has had it about 10 years and has absolutely no problems with it at all. With two of us (480 lbs) and full load the boats gets 56 gps. We did build a deck extension with under deck storage.
Ok, you boat guys have to clue me in on GPS. I know Global positioning System, but "With two of us (480 lbs) and full load the boats gets 56 gps." hardly seems to fit that definition.
Old 06-13-10, 01:33 AM   #12
cassidyta

He means that he used the GPS to track his speed. Alot of folks feel that the GPS measurement is more accurate than a speedometer.
Old 06-13-10, 11:24 AM   #13
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
He means that he used the GPS to track his speed. Alot of folks feel that the GPS measurement is more accurate than a speedometer.
speedos are the singles biggest pos ever put on a boat.wether it is a tube pick up, a paddle wheel, or in the lower. most are off by at least 10 mph i have seen some off as much as 30 mph.. gps gives you an accuate speed up to around 600mph.the reason they use them in small planes..

zooker
Old 06-13-10, 09:15 AM   #14
Tavery5

I have a 16.5 ft winner that I bought 2 years ago, 1986 model. So far no problems at all.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-10, 08:29 PM   #15
ubassfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I too own an 85 Winner Tournament model bass boat. A long time friend of mine bought it in 86, kept it until he upgraded to a 20 foot bass boat in 2001, then gave me a great deal on the Winner. It's a very solid boat with a Johnson GT150, SS 4 bladed prop 23 pitch, runs 62. Not the fasted boat on the water, but it gets me to the fishing spots and back.
ubassfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 07:13 AM   #16
Dennis1022
BassFishin.Com Member

Go to this web site and sign up for free. This is the site as follows > www.themarinedoctor.com.
Dennis
Dennis1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 02:39 AM   #17
cmelt
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 83 Winner Johnson 150hp

Got an 83 winner z880. Johnson motor runs awesome, had the compression checked and I'm good to go! Taking on more water than I think is normal, hull seems fine, not sure where it could be getting in. If anyone has any answers let me know.

Last edited by cmelt; 04-28-11 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Description
cmelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 08:22 AM   #18
lilmule

Check the bottom while on trailer for a rub spot from beaching on concrete,after that everything that is on the boat like transducers,uncrew recaulk and place screws back in again,the two part epoxy one get at walmart or auto stores that claims to work underwater does work,great for rub spots,find it as doesnt take long to damage.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 09:35 PM   #19
Lvitch
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Good boats imo. You sit a little high up for my taste but good all around. Be careful spinning that yammy to 6000 rpm. I don't think they live long above 5500.
Old 12-20-11, 09:59 PM   #20
winner 2000
BassFishin.Com Member

Bassackwards, i have the tournament 2000 and thru a lot of trial and error found that putting a 10 inch setback plate on the boat which lowered the motor further in the water actually gave me the bow lift i wanted and made it handle much better. running a 200 black max with a 26 pitch Protester prop. good hole shot and 5400 rpm
winner 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.