Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-21-07, 10:21 AM   #26
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

He'll live... Right Reb?

Thought so. I am also thinking about getting a Symetre after Christmas, either for my new crankin' stik I'm going to buy after christmas or another rod... Probably for crankin' though.

BB
Old 12-23-07, 03:37 AM   #27
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I too support the Symetre recommendation, being an owner myself. Since you have the budget, how about getting one with a front drag and the other with the rear. That way, you won't be left wondering if you're missing out. I have a front drag version, and I hate to admit, I can't buy a rear drag version, because I don't like how it looks. What's ironic is that I am usually a function over form guy but not in this case. I just like the look of the front drag models more.

The 2500 size is perfect too.

One thing that some might not know... With the Symetre, you can add line to it directly from the filler spool as you would a baitcast reel. I kid you not. No more fussing with the label side up or down. Just spool the reel as you would a bc reel, done deal, end of story.
Old 12-23-07, 06:24 PM   #28
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
. . .One thing that some might not know... With the Symetre, you can add line to it directly from the filler spool as you would a baitcast reel. I kid you not. No more fussing with the label side up or down. Just spool the reel as you would a bc reel, done deal, end of story. . .

I never knew there was a 'right' way to spool a reel. We've walways done it the same way for years, (until I joined this site and learned the phonebook trick). IB, if you would, please elaborate for me.

Thanks,
BB
Old 12-23-07, 08:05 PM   #29
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

As I've found out the hard way, you can get bad line twist if you don't pay attention to how you spool. I'm really thinking of getting a line spooler and a line stripper because I change my line quite often and I hate doing it (especially stripping it by hand!)

Any recommendations? The only one I have seen is a Berkely one that includes a line stripper for $26 bucks at Cabelas. Would this do the trick and more importantly, does it provide enough tension on the line to spool my braided line tightly enough?
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-07, 08:24 PM   #30
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

WSA, if you start using the braid, line twist are a thing of the past. I haven't had that happen in several years now that I use braided line. I still flip the bail by hand instead of turning the handle and that may also help in having no twist.

Island Bass, I like the rear drag Symmetre's not only because of the smooth and consistent drag, but also because it provides additional "balance". When you fish all day with it, you are not nearly as worn (at least it doesn't affect my old body as badly, and at 54 things don't last as long as they used to)!
Old 12-23-07, 08:31 PM   #31
WallStreetAmigo

I use braid with almost every application other than dropshotting and agree that this is not a problem with braided line. Where it has really frustrated me is with mono and especially flouro. I am actually at the point where I am considering using 20lb PP with a flouro leader on my dropshot setup.

Where braid has problems is if you don't spool it on really tight.
Old 12-23-07, 08:35 PM   #32
WallStreetAmigo

[quote=islandbass;171776]I too support the Symetre recommendation, being an owner myself. Since you have the budget, how about getting one with a front drag and the other with the rear. That way, you won't be left wondering if you're missing out. I have a front drag version, and I hate to admit, I can't buy a rear drag version, because I don't like how it looks. What's ironic is that I am usually a function over form guy but not in this case. I just like the look of the front drag models more.quote]

The front model Symetre does look more compact and sleek than the rear drag version. I initially thought the same way as you about buying one. Having thought about it a lot, I really think the fightin drag will help me take full advantage of my drag which I probably don't do as well right now. At least that's what I'm hopin for!!!
Old 12-23-07, 09:09 PM   #33
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetAmigo View Post
I use braid with almost every application other than dropshotting and agree that this is not a problem with braided line. Where it has really frustrated me is with mono and especially flouro. I am actually at the point where I am considering using 20lb PP with a flouro leader on my dropshot setup.

Where braid has problems is if you don't spool it on really tight.

I also tried the flouro on the spinning reels! MAAANNN!! was that a bad idea!? I use the phonebook method of spooling mono, I used to take the lure off and let it stream out behind the boat and unwind. Finally, I just gave up and spooled all my spinning reels with braid, and use flouro for my leaders.

You will like that fighting drag for sure WSA, I set my drag with the fighting drag in the released position so that my hooksets won't over-power my flouro leaders (usually a mile "zip" on the hookset0. When I got the fish coming my way and it's obvious it's starting to wear down, I just push it over and engage it and bring the fish on in.
Old 12-23-07, 10:35 PM   #34
WallStreetAmigo

What exactly is the phonebook method? I've never heard of it.
Old 12-23-07, 10:58 PM   #35
Bob Smith

I can tell you what I tried and you'll probably get a kick out of it. Someone told me that if you have line twist, peel your line off carefully into a pile, then open the phone book about 1/2 way (assumption that your phone book is for a huge metro area and is pretty large), close the book on the line and re-spool your line allowing the book to serve as a pressure point that will eventually untwist your line. I also flip-flop the spool when filling my spinning reel, I would reel a few turns on and stop to see if the line were twisting, flip the line spool over and crank a few more turns and watch for line twists. This was time consuming and only a temporary fix.

Now there may be another definition for the phone-book method, but that is the one that an old man in Tennessee told me about.
Old 12-24-07, 11:59 AM   #36
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetAmigo View Post
As I've found out the hard way, you can get bad line twist if you don't pay attention to how you spool. I'm really thinking of getting a line spooler and a line stripper because I change my line quite often and I hate doing it (especially stripping it by hand!)

Any recommendations? The only one I have seen is a Berkely one that includes a line stripper for $26 bucks at Cabelas. Would this do the trick and more importantly, does it provide enough tension on the line to spool my braided line tightly enough?
Go to the hardware wtore and pick up a 1/2" wooden dowel. Sand one end down so it'll fit in a cordless drill. Tie your line to the dowel, but it in the drill, and you got yourself a fast, inexpensive line stripper (that is, if you own a cordless drill).

BB
Old 12-24-07, 12:02 PM   #37
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
I can tell you what I tried and you'll probably get a kick out of it. Someone told me that if you have line twist, peel your line off carefully into a pile, then open the phone book about 1/2 way (assumption that your phone book is for a huge metro area and is pretty large), close the book on the line and re-spool your line allowing the book to serve as a pressure point that will eventually untwist your line. I also flip-flop the spool when filling my spinning reel, I would reel a few turns on and stop to see if the line were twisting, flip the line spool over and crank a few more turns and watch for line twists. This was time consuming and only a temporary fix.

Now there may be another definition for the phone-book method, but that is the one that an old man in Tennessee told me about.
I use the phonebook method to spool my reel with new line too.

BB
Old 12-25-07, 02:19 PM   #38
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

I never knew there was a 'right' way to spool a reel. We've walways done it the same way for years, (until I joined this site and learned the phonebook trick). IB, if you would, please elaborate for me.

Thanks,
BB
No prob, BB! It's not so much a right and wrong way vs. a way to reduce line twist while spooling. For spinning reels I have been taught that it is better for the line to come off of the filler spool on the same side as the crank to minimize (not eliminate) the chances of line twist while adding line to the reel. If line twist is detected, people turn the spool over.

If you read Bob Smith's post in this thread about flopping the spool, this is what I am describing.
Remember, this applies to spinning reels. When spooling line to a baitcaster line twist is not a concern since the line is added to the reel directly. With Shimano reels in the symetre class and above, you can add line to the spool directly as you would a bait caster without issue. This means that you don't have worry about flipping and flopping over the filler spool.

I also use the phonebook method. It is an awesome way to add tension to the line when filling the reel. I also use my rod and the first few guides to add line to the reels.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.