Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-27-13, 09:02 AM   #1
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Firetiger!

A few questions asking how you fish firetiger pattern hard plastic baits:

1. In what water clarity do you fish a firetiger bait... crystal clear as well as dingy?

2. What depths do you fish a firetiger bait?

3. Do you fish firetiger patterns on suspending hard baits?

4. What percentage of the time is firetiger the first pattern you choose?

oe

Last edited by OkobojiEagle; 11-27-13 at 09:08 AM.
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-13, 09:24 AM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I fish fire tiger pattern in dingy stained water that is less than 10ft deep. After 10ft, I believe that most if not all colors in this pattern lose their ability to reflect light. In 10ft or less of stained water it is a very visible bait.
Old 11-27-13, 09:58 AM   #3
joedog

The most famous analogous color scheme used on fishing lures is the classic "firetiger" pattern consisting of bright green, yellow, and orange. We have heard rumors that lures with this sort of color scheme tend to land more fish. That would make sense because most sportfish cannot see all of the colors in the color wheel. By using this color scheme, chances are you'll include a color that the fish can see and recognize - increasing the chances of attraction.

I personally throw it in flooded waters and only on a lippless crank or a squarebill.

BUT should work anytime.
Old 11-27-13, 10:09 AM   #4
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
The most famous analogous color scheme used on fishing lures is the classic "firetiger" pattern consisting of bright green, yellow, and orange. We have heard rumors that lures with this sort of color scheme tend to land more fish. That would make sense because most sportfish cannot see all of the colors in the color wheel. By using this color scheme, chances are you'll include a color that the fish can see and recognize - increasing the chances of attraction.

I personally throw it in flooded waters and only on a lippless crank or a squarebill.

BUT should work anytime.
Joe, I know your an avid reader, if you have not, you should read this book - What Fish See: written by Dr. Kageyama. He is an optometrist and avid fisherman, his book is often considered the Bible on how and what fish see.
Old 11-27-13, 10:17 AM   #5
kennethdaysale

I rarely throw firetiger plugs regardless of water color but......I have considerable confidence and success with firetiger.ish spinnerbaits in shallow dingy water......I like painted blades
Old 11-27-13, 11:45 AM   #6
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Joe, I know your an avid reader, if you have not, you should read this book - What Fish See: written by Dr. Kageyama. He is an optometrist and avid fisherman, his book is often considered the Bible on how and what fish see.
WOW Tavery THANKS!

I've been searching for a NEW read for hard water season.
THANKS!!!

I'm on my third read of 'Knowing Bass' and I've already read one of KVD's AGAIN this year and we just barely got some ice on the water.

HOW CAN AN ADDICTION CONTINUE TO GET WORSE/BETTER EVERY SINGLE YEAR?

As soon as I leave site I'm going searching for it.
Any starting points you'd like to recomend?
Better yet you want to sell a copy?

Thanks again!
Old 11-27-13, 12:48 PM   #7
woody

I would say that 0% of the time is firetiger the first color I choose. I generally start with a clown color in off-colored water or maybe a rootbeer/chartrueze. Then if those two colors don't seem to be working, I will try a firetiger colored plug.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-13, 02:43 PM   #8
OkobojiEagle

Woody... I use a clown pattern when I want a high flash low contrast bait. Clear skies and clear water, most often along weed edges. I use the firetiger for more visible contrast in cloudy, off-color water situations. Are we differing on the characterics of the baits themself or on what's necessary to draw strikes in dark water situations? I find it interesting that Lucky Craft doesn't make a firetiger pattern in their jerkbaits.

oe
Old 11-27-13, 03:12 PM   #9
bassboogieman

Quote:
In what water clarity do you fish a firetiger bait... crystal clear as well as dingy?
I don't believe I've ever thrown a firetiger color in clear water, only murky water and in low light (evening) conditions in moderately stained water.

Quote:
What depths do you fish a firetiger bait?
Depth doesn't matter to me, it's the water clarity or light that is my prime reason to choose a firetiger bait. In daylight if the water is heavily stained I'll use it shallow, if the water is clear I won't use it at any depth. In the evening I would try it at mid-range depths regardless of water clarity.

Quote:
Do you fish firetiger patterns on suspending hard baits
I don't know if you meant jerk baits or suspending cranks - so I'm thinking jerk baits which I rarely throw for largemouth bass, so no for bass. For pike, absolutely - when I'm in Canada I use fire tiger husky jerks and they produce, especially in early morning or late evening.

Quote:
What percentage of the time is firetiger the first pattern you choose?
When bass fishing - ZERO. Based upon my local water I'm usually starting with a shad color.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-13, 03:12 PM   #10
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
WOW Tavery THANKS!

I've been searching for a NEW read for hard water season.
THANKS!!!

I'm on my third read of 'Knowing Bass' and I've already read one of KVD's AGAIN this year and we just barely got some ice on the water.

HOW CAN AN ADDICTION CONTINUE TO GET WORSE/BETTER EVERY SINGLE YEAR?

As soon as I leave site I'm going searching for it.
Any starting points you'd like to recomend?
Better yet you want to sell a copy?

Thanks again!
Amazon usually has used copies for around 7-8 dollars. I no longer have a copy as I let a friend read it, and it was never returned.

Fishing is an addiction for sure, but unlike alcohol or drugs, it tends to lead you to good things. A better understanding and respect for nature. You find like minded people and sometimes make life long friends. I have had my time with alcohol, I am thankful that I was introduced to fishing.
Old 11-27-13, 03:29 PM   #11
joedog

ya i found the amazon but they work as the middleman on used (my understanding) and the couple that were 6.41-7.50 ALL wanted like $6 shipping.

The search continues.
Old 11-27-13, 06:42 PM   #12
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
Woody... I use a clown pattern when I want a high flash low contrast bait. Clear skies and clear water, most often along weed edges. I use the firetiger for more visible contrast in cloudy, off-color water situations. Are we differing on the characterics of the baits themself or on what's necessary to draw strikes in dark water situations? I find it interesting that Lucky Craft doesn't make a firetiger pattern in their jerkbaits.

oe
OE,

I believe there's a good possibility that where we differ lies in the color of the water we fish and our confidence factor.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-13, 08:31 AM   #13
OkobojiEagle

Woody... I don't put much faith in "confidence", rather preferring to rely upon "experience". You are absolutely correct, I have not fished your waters.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all on this board.

oe
Old 11-28-13, 08:56 AM   #14
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Woody... I don't put much faith in "confidence", rather preferring to rely upon "experience". You are absolutely correct, I have not fished your waters.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all on this board.

oe
oe......is it possible that you might be internalizing the word and idea of "confidence" differently than most? If your "experience" with a particular color or bait or technique is positive and rewarding and you choose to repeat those colors/baits/techniques in the future isn't that defacto confidence?
Old 11-28-13, 09:26 AM   #15
OkobojiEagle

No... I'm playing with semantics... and I don't use smiley faces.

oe
Old 11-28-13, 05:41 PM   #16
lilmule

I dislike the very vivid color combo,due to needing stained water,but use offshoots thereof less orange,not quite as bright colors due to blending from say brown to green or yellow and in gin clear water like 5-6 ft clarity without sunglasses.The natural prey is often close in nature-pumpkinseed-yellow perch.
A greenish version of yellow perch looks close,yet not quite as flashy,all the same colors just less of some.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-13, 07:49 PM   #17
Jrob78

I like firetiger patterns in off color water and normally in a square bill crankbait. When it gets deeper than what a sq bill will cover I switch to something with a lot of chartreuse. I like chart/black, chart/blue and "citrus shad" in deeper cranks for dirty water.
Old 11-29-13, 01:25 PM   #18
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hmmmm, I just checked and I don't even own a single lure in fire tiger color. I just might have to get one this winter to use next year and see what happens.
Old 11-29-13, 02:45 PM   #19
Tavery5

I have a few to cover most situations, I know I have several others in the boat.

Last edited by Tavery5; 11-29-13 at 02:52 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-13, 05:23 PM   #20
OkobojiEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I fish fire tiger pattern in dingy stained water that is less than 10ft deep. After 10ft, I believe that most if not all colors in this pattern lose their ability to reflect light. In 10ft or less of stained water it is a very visible bait.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Makelures/videos

This link may or may not support your thoughts depending upon how stained your water is... I found the videos interesting. Four part video series toward the bottom of the list... "Lure Colors Parts 1, 2, 3 & 4.

oe
Old 11-29-13, 09:13 PM   #21
Tavery5

Quote:

This link may or may not support your thoughts depending upon how stained your water is... I found the videos interesting. Four part video series toward the bottom of the list... "Lure Colors Parts 1, 2, 3 & 4.

oe
Well done information, thanks for the link. I have seen a number of these charts over the years, they all have a little different information about depth and water clarity.
What I have been able to prove to myself in the waters that I typically fish is that once I go below 10-12 ft. the bait becomes less effective. I like to use firetiger color on windblown points and work it from shallow to deep, boat ramps sometimes hold fish also and I like to work the edges of them in the same fashion. I will sometimes throw a bait that I know will dig into the bottom fairly hard and then just crank it very slow so it bumps and grinds across the bottom, this is a very effective method in lakes/ponds that have very little structure.
Old 12-26-13, 05:29 PM   #22
Old Hooker

I use fire tiger in stained to muddy water and especially if it's cloudy too. Think spring after a rain. Pretty much the same scenario I would use a chartruse spinnerbait, except I use the spinner in vegetation or any place the crank would stay hung up a lot. I have used one in the fall when our TVA lakes are being dropped a couple feet a week and the bottom sediment is being stirred up. Bass are feeding on schooled up shad and a fire tiger, chartruse or gold bait can be dynamite.
Old 12-26-13, 07:42 PM   #23
joedog

Quote:

oe
Yes it is a good read.
That's what I was unsuccessfully steering anglers to here.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ght=lure+color
Old 12-27-13, 09:41 AM   #24
OkobojiEagle

Do you fish a firetiger colored bait more often or in clearer water conditions fishing for smallmouth than you do when fishing for largemouth (or spots)?

oe
Old 12-27-13, 10:52 AM   #25
Tavery5

Quote:
Do you fish a firetiger colored bait more often or in clearer water conditions fishing for smallmouth than you do when fishing for largemouth (or spots)?

oe
I only fish for smallmouth a few times a year as they are not common to most of our local lakes. I have had he best success with jerkbaits and crankbaits that are closer to the natural color of the shad in our area. If the water is muddy and stained then all bets are off, and I try baits that are more visible in this situation.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.