Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-14-07, 02:36 AM   #1
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Quality Spinning Reels

I'm looking to replace my two spinning reels with higher quality reels with a better drag system and smoother overall operation. I will be putting one on each of the following two rods:

7' Medium Shimano Spinning Rod - will be used for crankbaits, topwaters, and possibly some drop shotting.

7' MH Shimano Spinning Rod - will be used for spinnerbaits, carolina rigging, texas rigging, and other soft plastics.

I am willing to spend up to about $150 for each reel. I am thinking of spooling the crankbait/topwater reel with P-Line Flouro (because of all the good reviews on here), likely in 10lb to 12lb test.

For the other reel (on the MH) I was thinking of spooling with 20lb braid (PP or Stren) with an 8 or 10lb flouro leader.

Here is what I would like some input on:

1) In choosing spinning reels for these applications, what would you consider to be the most important considerations I should be looking at for each reel?

2) What size reels should I be looking at for each and why?

3) Any input on my line choices and/or on line size I should consider would be appreciated.

On the upper end of my price range the reels that have jumped out at me are the Quantum Energy 30PTi, the Team Daiwa Advantage 2500, and the Shimano Stradic 2500 FI. Of course, there are several others with lower prices that look okay too. Maybe with answers to the above questions I will be able to find the right reels. Since it is very difficult to get somewhere where I can actually get my hands on these reels, as always I am relying on your experience and judgement.

Thanks in advance everyone!
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 07:33 AM   #2
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

LOL, You are going to get about as many opinions on here as there are personalities! OK here's mine!

Shimano Symmetre 2500 with rear drag and fighting drag, I have two of them on my 7' 2" Shimano Crucial Drop Shot rods, spooled with 20# Power Pro and I love them. Price range mid $80.
Old 12-14-07, 11:25 AM   #3
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

it's a no brainer imho!!!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_100-1-2
Old 12-14-07, 01:09 PM   #4
Raul

¿ How much are you willing to spend ?
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 03:08 PM   #5
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post

LOL, You are going to get about as many opinions on here as there are personalities! OK here's mine!

Shimano Symmetre 2500 with rear drag and fighting drag, I have two of them on my 7' 2" Shimano Crucial Drop Shot rods, spooled with 20# Power Pro and I love them. Price range mid $80.
Getting a whole bunch of opinions is exactly why I ask these kinds of questions, Bob!!!

Also, what is the difference between a front drag and rear drag system?
Old 12-14-07, 03:17 PM   #6
Raul

The size of the drag pads and washers is smaller in a rear drag than the ones found in their front drag counterpart. Some would say that rear drags are weaker or less responsive because of this, it´s true to a certain point but in most reels with rear drag system ( Shimano ) you will find an added feature, a lever. The lever is part of the "Fighting Drag" system, which allows you to reduce or increase the drag setting up or down up to a 50% by only shifting the lever from one side or the other.

In other words, while in a front drag reel you have to adjust the setting on the front in the rear drag you do it on the rear with the lever. Feature that comes in handy when you are fighting a fish.
Old 12-14-07, 03:20 PM   #7
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
¿ How much are you willing to spend ?
Price is not as important as good long lasting quality and a good drag system. I was thinking up to about $150 for each reel.
Old 12-14-07, 03:43 PM   #8
Raul

$150 per reel ....... it´s a no brainer, Stradic MgFa.
Old 12-14-07, 03:57 PM   #9
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

WSA, I'm with Bob-I have 3 Shimano Symeteres and they are great reels for the money. My only regret in buying them is I didn't get the rear drag. Found out how good it is after I bought mine.
Old 12-14-07, 04:37 PM   #10
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Cabela's Tournament ZX. Made by Daiwa, great reel. Smooth drag, smooth retrieve. Oh yeah, also available in widespool version. Great for line twist reduction.

-LL-

Last edited by lunker-lander; 12-14-07 at 09:23 PM.
lunker-lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 04:49 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Well as many have said before, you won't be disapointed with a shimano. I also have found for less expensive reel, Abu Garcia's are good. As for actualy reel choice, the shimano saros and stradic are good reels.

As for your topwater and crank rod. May I suggest mono instead of fluorocarbon. This is because mono will float for topwaters and has some stretch for crankbaits.

As for the drag. front drag are more dependable for lighter drag situation and they also will, for alack of better words, activate more dependably than rear drags. On the other hand rear drags are better if you want a powerful drag. Although when selecting the drag, a lot of it is personal preference. I like front drags a lot better than rear drags.

BB
Old 12-14-07, 11:30 PM   #12
otto
BassFishin.Com Member

The Team Daiwa Advantage is the best reel in that price range (IMO, anyway). I've used one for the past 2 years, it's a great reel and I have no complaints.
I've stayed away from rear-drag reels for many years because their drag system is not nearly as smooth as a front drag. They may have improved since I tried them, but I would still not buy one.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-07, 02:14 AM   #13
Fish2win

Looks like the Shamano wins. Fish2win
Old 12-18-07, 07:41 PM   #14
grug
BassFishin.Com Member

I will be another voice for the Shimano Symetre. I have owned more expensive Stradic and Daiwa Tierra, Supreme, Capricorn's, Quantum Kinetic PT among others and sold or returned in the end as the Symetre is better and less $$$..

Very smooth operating reel, casts well, great drag and one key little feature I like is that the rotor does not rotate during the cast, allowing you to both finger the line every time and pick it up with your index finger to close the bail manually. Every cast is mint and easy if you close the bail manually, and other reels rotate and get in the way of your finger...

Its little things like that, that make the different so go Symetre, no need to blow $150 on a freshwater spinning reel...unless you want too of course...

Have fun shopping.
grug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 10:04 AM   #15
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetAmigo View Post
Getting a whole bunch of opinions is exactly why I ask these kinds of questions, Bob!!!

Also, what is the difference between a front drag and rear drag system?
It's probably just my imagination, but I feel the rear drag system is typically smoother. I also like to adjust my drag when I hawging a fish out of the nasty stuff and the rear drag is easier to manipulate, for me anyway. When they came out with the fighting drag, that was just just happened to be perfect to me.
Old 12-19-07, 05:15 PM   #16
WallStreetAmigo

Thanks so much for the input everyone. After looking at the Shimano line I think I am going to get a Shimano Symetre 2500 (I might get two at that price). I have to admit that prior to posting this thread I didn't spend too much time looking at the Shimano line because that's all the stores sell up here (although I now know that they all sell the low end ones). I have never used a rear drag but if it's good enough for an endorsement from Bob and Reb, it's definitely worth trying it out. Worst case scenario I guess is that I hate the rear drag, but then I can always give it to Reb I guess.....

I still like the Daiwa reel too and the stradics are awesome, but for the price I think the Symetre will be awesome.
Old 12-19-07, 05:32 PM   #17
Bob Smith

Come on down here to Georgia and we'll go try them out on some spotted bass! At any rate, let us know what you think about them.
Old 12-19-07, 08:49 PM   #18
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Come on down here to Georgia and we'll go try them out on some spotted bass! At any rate, let us know what you think about them.
I would like nothing better than to get down to your neck of the woods for a fishing trip! If I can learn this much from you guys just by typing on a keyboard and reading, imagine what I would learn watching you guys work....

I will definitely let you know and I really appreciate the advice.
Old 12-19-07, 11:44 PM   #19
Rebbasser

WSA, if you get down to Georgia head west when you get done-Bob can attest we have some pretty good largemouth fishing here in Texas, and I'll keep the back seat open for you!
Old 12-20-07, 12:45 AM   #20
WallStreetAmigo

Be careful what you wish for Reb........I just might take you up on that as I am trying to plan a trip for next year down to your area.
Old 12-20-07, 01:21 AM   #21
Rebbasser

Well, come on down, buddy-we'll get out on the water!
Old 12-20-07, 09:38 AM   #22
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Well, come on down, buddy-we'll get out on the water!
Before you take him on the water, Reb, you'll have to take him to Dick's Last Resort on the Riverwalk. He'll have to have a couple of the famous "Big Azz Glass of Beer", a little supper, get insulted by the waitresses and staff. Then take him fishing!
Old 12-20-07, 12:20 PM   #23
Rebbasser

Good idea, Bob!
Old 12-20-07, 01:09 PM   #24
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

WSA, If you are going to buy of the same reel, and can't choose between rear and front drag, buy one of each. Then if you don't like one, take it back and exchange it for the other kind.

BB
Old 12-20-07, 05:49 PM   #25
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
WSA, If you are going to buy of the same reel, and can't choose between rear and front drag, buy one of each. Then if you don't like one, take it back and exchange it for the other kind.

BB
That's not a bad idea BB, although Reb might be disappointed that you are decreasing his chances for a free rear drag Symetre!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.