Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-02-08, 04:55 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Another Fishing Debate

Another one?!?! who woulda thought.

Anyways, I came across this on another website and thought I'd get your opinions:

Would rather put a cheap reel on an expensive rod, or an expensive reel on a cheap rod? Why?

BB

Results below updated on 5-3-08, 9:59am Eastern time

EXPENSIVE REEL: 8

EXPENSIVE ROD: 4

Last edited by BigBassin144; 05-03-08 at 10:00 AM.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 05:22 PM   #2
BERKLEY83
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Cheap Reel On Expensive Rod. You Can Not Replace The Link Between You And The Fish ,a Good Rod Will Give You That. I Have Had Some Cheap Reels Perform Better Then Some Of My More Expensive One's.
BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 05:23 PM   #3
bamabassman

IN MY OPION ONLY. i use the cheaper rods. reason... i tend to break em, hahaha. or someone else breaks em. and i really love the lighting rods. and ugly sticks. and the sherry rods. fairly cheap and great rods to boot. but compare my equipment to others....and i have cheap equipment all around. but i have equipment, and lures....and a boat. all paid for. not bragging, just that i see alot of folks that have expensive equipment, and nothing to fish out of except the friends boat, or the banks. and that is fine too. just not for me. i like being able to go when i want. and i love to take folks fishing. good subject bb. it'll be intereesting to see other remarks.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 06:02 PM   #4
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Definitely a cheap reel on an expensive rod. Like Berkley said, you can't beat the feel between you and a fish. Anyway, all a reel does is hold line. There's another contraption you can use to hold line that's free - YOUR HAND!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 06:09 PM   #5
Bender

What is your definition of "cheap"? The average price of my reels is higher than my rods, I think. I will never buy a cheap baitcaster again, such as a sub $75-100 one. The ~$50 and under baitcasters just don't work well from my experience. I have rods I spent $50 on that are not bad, so I would say a reel.
BUT, spinning reels between $40 and $100 are what I use without any problems. Just picked up a Diawa Excellor(sp?) and really like it a lot.
I prefer something in the middle for both; don't need Loomis rods and Steez reels, but don't want $20 combos either.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 07:07 PM   #6
BigBassin144

I'd have to say I'd rather put an expensive reel on a cheap rod. Just because a rod is cheap doesn't mean you can't feel fish on it. (this is true for most, but not all)

Buzz- The reel does this little thing that's kind of important in fishing... it's called Casting! If you can't cast, then you can't catch fish. Period.

Bender- It's no so much "Cheap" or "Expensive" as is it "which would you rather spend more on." Like if your a billionaire, a cheap reel to you may be a $200 one, while to me, that's and expensive reel. Now to someone like my dad, That's a rediculously overpriced reel, but that's a different story for a different day.

BB
Old 05-02-08, 07:20 PM   #7
Bender

I see, you mean like putting a Van Stall (www.vanstaal.com) reel on a Whuppin' Stick.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 10:18 PM   #8
rrw4258

nice reel with a cheap rod for me... greater casting distance (most of the time), and a smoother retrieve.

Ryan
Old 05-02-08, 10:58 PM   #9
Pike-Fisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

I'd rather have a nice reel. I've used both expensive and cheap reels and the cheap ones aren't as smooth and don't cast as far which makes a day of fishing seem harder than it is supposed to be.
Pike-Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 11:02 PM   #10
fishin' fool

My question is, why have one with out the other??? It like people who buy expensive shotguns or rifles but shoot the cheapest ammo they can get. Isn't that defeating the purpose??
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 11:25 PM   #11
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

I agree with you fishinfool. I would rather have a nice reel on a cheap rod. Casting accuracy and distance is everything for me because of where I live and my fishing style. I'm normally fishing really fast, and a reel that isn't smooth and doesn't cast far or accurate is a nightmare to me.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 11:43 PM   #12
WTL

Expensive reel on a cheap rod. Rods have come so far in the past 30 years that even the cheaper rods by the standards of 15 years ago would have been considered top notch. Sensitivity can be made up with braided line, long whippy rods with slower actions that are good for fighting fish can still be had plenty cheap - and I can cast just as good with fiberglass as I can IM8. But a fine reel - from the drag, to the freespool cant be made up as easily.
Old 05-02-08, 11:45 PM   #13
toneyoutdoors.com
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to toneyoutdoors.com

I would have to go with the cheap rod. As long as i have a good reel i will make it work.
Old 05-02-08, 11:53 PM   #14
bothomas

I usually go with a more expensive rod for worms, jigs, etc. Where sensitivity is key and not casting distance.... A nice reel is a must for long cast with blades and I can use a lesser rod.. Cranks, I kinda like to have both, a smooth cast good action for the bait.
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 06:38 AM   #15
crankybait

Expensive reel cheap rod. I'd be content with a cherrywood and a Shimano Stella... hah
Old 05-03-08, 08:27 AM   #16
3dkicker

Give me a cheap rod, reel, line and lure any day. I'd still catch 'em.
It's not about the equipment, it's how you wiggle your worm (and that is what she said ).
Old 05-03-08, 11:01 AM   #17
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Wing View Post
Definitely a cheap reel on an expensive rod. Like Berkley said, you can't beat the feel between you and a fish. Anyway, all a reel does is hold line. There's another contraption you can use to hold line that's free - YOUR HAND!

-Buzz
by that philosiphy all a rod does is keep line going into the reel straight, and help you get distance when you cast. There's another contraption you cn use to get distance on a cast thats free- YOUR THROWING ARM!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 02:24 PM   #18
Bob Smith

This debate reeks of the attitude of the modern fisherman/woman. $$$$$!! The debate could be worded differently like Good vs not so good. Most folks still have their own opinion about what is actually "Good", but at least it doesn't infer that Good is equal to expensive. If given to debate, I guess I would weigh in on a "moderate or not so good" reel on a good rod!
Old 05-03-08, 03:35 PM   #19
bamabassman

well stated bob. see gang we should listen more to the better anglers on here. they have more insight than we do. and i thought i knew something. thank you bob, really, thank you.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 03:49 PM   #20
Wishing2BFishing

Cheap rod, yes. Cheap reel, hell no.

I broke two rods last week. The reels still work. And even if I didn't have this nasty habit of breaking a rod every season (this year I am ahead of the curve since I already broke two rods), I have had some cheap rods that were pretty good. I am not saying that they were great but certainly much better than any cheap reel that I have owned.

As a side note, I believe this debate came up before on this site. Contra to the current consensus, the majority preferred a cheap reel.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 08:22 AM   #21
BigBassin144

Expensive Reel: 9

Expensive Rod: 5

Updated 5-4-08; 8:22am Eastern time

BB
Old 05-06-08, 10:00 AM   #22
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I will usually spend more money on a nice reel then I would a nice rod. To be honest though... I'm not spending a huge amount of money on either one!
Old 05-06-08, 12:02 PM   #23
RIP LIPPER
BassFishin.Com Member

I would go with medium both ways. That way you can get a descent rod and reel. If I had alot of money to blow I would get a more expensive reel. Heck I'd get more expensive everything. Why not?
RIP LIPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 12:09 PM   #24
damian2b

I would have to say the rod. That is what gives me the best feel for the fish. No question a tough call though. Think about it...when you've made a good cast and you begin a slow retrieve just twitching the lure and you feel that tink tink through the rod and you rear back and just set that son of a....and the rod bends heavily downward and everything holds and the fight is on...you may not have felt that tink tink with a cheaper/more inexpensive rod. In my opinion again.
Old 05-06-08, 02:16 PM   #25
rodman rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
IN MY OPION ONLY. i use the cheaper rods. reason... i tend to break em, hahaha. or someone else breaks em. and i really love the lighting rods. and ugly sticks. and the sherry rods. fairly cheap and great rods to boot. but compare my equipment to others....and i have cheap equipment all around. but i have equipment, and lures....and a boat. all paid for. not bragging, just that i see alot of folks that have expensive equipment, and nothing to fish out of except the friends boat, or the banks. and that is fine too. just not for me. i like being able to go when i want. and i love to take folks fishing. good subject bb. it'll be intereesting to see other remarks.
bama we work to buy our equipment the one's with high $$$ equipment do not!

I realy like the lighting rods and ugly sticks!! last I check they all catch fish.

*** as for the question by far cheap rod Nice reel!!
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.