Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-05, 11:48 PM   #1
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hershey
Default Flipping??

What the heck is this and how do you do this?? I usually shore fish so I realy dont have any use for it, but im moving to michigan this summer where there is a jon boat at my grandparents cottage on a lake with lots of bass that I wil probly be using. Anyway, Ive read the article at bassresource and every website I could find Â*about it, and I still have no idea of what you actually do. Is it similar to pitching, because I can pitch. Is it Â*swinging your lure like a pendelum while controlling how much line comes out of your reel, then when you have it where you want it you let it drop? It also said after you roll the butt of your rod under your arm with your wrist, which I did not get at all. Can someone give me a detailed description of what flipping is and how you do it?
hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 11:51 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Flipping??

The Flip-Cast (Flippin')
This is intended for pinpoint lure presentation to visible, thick cover between 10 and 20 feet away. Use a heavy-action 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 foot rod. Let out about 15 feet of line. With your free hand, grasp the line between the reel and the first rod guide and straighten your arm to the side. There should now be about 8 feet of line past the front tip. Raise the rod to make the lure swing back close to the body. Lower the rod top to make the lure swing forward. Use only your wrist, roll the butt of the rod to the inside of your arm. As it moves past the rod tip, continue raising the rod as you feed line with your free hand. As the lure nears the target, lower the rod top again and make the bait touch down softly and precisely on target by stopping the bait just before it enters the water. Let go of the line in your free hand and immediately place it on the reel. Make sure you're ready to strike before beginning your retrieve.

i read this one time and knew instantly how to do it.....you should be able to figure it out......if you dont know what it is...then why are you saying you have no use for it on shore? i shore fish and alltho i pitch more then flip, i still flip and it produces.....
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 11:54 PM   #3
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

Nice 02 , very nice. Pitchin' is easier though.

flippin4it
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 11:54 PM   #4
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I read how boat location is important so I thought it was more of a boat tactic.
I dont know but I could not analayze what the heck you are supposed to do. Is it like a pendelum and you keep on doing it until it gets to the spot you want to get it too? Thats was my conclusion of it, but I am still very confused.
Old 06-21-05, 12:11 AM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

ya, pitchin is easier.....and really can be substituted for flippin.

gaucomole, i'll do my best to explain it.....first let out 15' of line from your rod tip to the bait....then, either between the reel and the 1st guide, or the 1st guide and 2nd guide grab the line and put yopur arm straight out to your side.....like your going to fly...lol......then close bail(if spinning, or do whatever you do to a BC to not let line come out....lol...and raise your rod straight up...then face where you want the bait to go......and while lowering the rod let line out( you want the bait to swing from you to the target.....and right before it hits the water stop the line so the bait is feathered in.
Old 06-21-05, 12:17 AM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

To add a little to what 02 said, the amount of line you start with is all you will use, unlike casting and pitching. And yes, pitching is easier.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 12:24 AM   #7
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

Note to self, change name to pitchin4it.

flippin4it
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 12:25 AM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

^^^lmao ;D
Old 06-21-05, 12:44 PM   #9
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

I get it know thanks for the help. So you basically swing the bait towards the target and let the line go while do that, but while the bail is closed and the slack line is so it will cushion the throw so it wont reciol back at you, right?
Old 06-21-05, 06:06 PM   #10
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

ya, you use that line you have extended with your arm to feed line to the target.....the bail is closed...
Old 06-21-05, 09:26 PM   #11
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok thanks for the help.
Old 06-21-05, 09:46 PM   #12
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Ya have one important point that was missed, you control the spool on a baitcaster and thumb the line to a feathered stop, the lure should hit the water with no splash, and if its a spinning outfit you use, then you need to learn to feather the line to a easy stop by holding on to the line once the bait gets thrown out there.
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.