Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-14-05, 09:49 PM   #1
hookset0888
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hookset0888
Default problems with fireline

i went out and bought some berkley fireline 10lb in the lime green color because i heard it was so good. so i get home and put it on my reel and decided to go try it out. well i soon found out that the line wasnt very good, it knotted up on my spool and the knots on my lures slipped a couple times and i tried almost every knot. so i switched back to ironsilk and havnt had a problem. but anyways i was just wondering if anyone else had the same issues with fireline?
hookset0888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 10:40 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: problems with fireline

Haven't used Fireline, but Iron Silk is the worst line I ever used. I lost lures, lost fish, and it broke if you looked at it wrong.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 11:01 PM   #3
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FishinMommy

Don't waste your money on fireline. Get power pro or what I would do is buy some Trilene Big Game which is the best mono I think.
FishinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 12:23 AM   #4
hookset0888
BassFishin.Com Member

hmm thats weird i havnt had a prblem with ironsilk
Old 06-15-05, 12:51 AM   #5
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat

Get yourself some cajun line.............
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 01:16 AM   #6
dave_in_fl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dave_in_fl

The only aplication i use fireline for is my spinning rod. On spinning tackle i ONLY use fireline, I like it that much, but HATE it on baitcasting reels. There are a few things you have to do 1- use 1/2 spool of mono for backing, 2- use palomar knots with it they wont slip. I use 10 lb test/ 4 lb diameter and here is another trick. After it starts to wear pretty good (turns grey) take it off and put it on again grey end first so that the part that was deep in the spool goes back on last (turn it around) Before getting to that point i also use 1/2 of the spool at a time filling the first half with mono, this gets me 4 uses out of 1 spool of fireline (1 fill, 1 turn over, 1 fill, 1 turnover) Hope this helps those who don't hate fireline
dave_in_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 10:56 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=cullin8s link=board=news;num=1118796594;start=0#5 date=06/15/05 at 00:16:30]The only aplication i use fireline for is my spinning rod. On spinning tackle i ONLY use fireline, I like it that much, but HATE it on baitcasting reels. There are a few things you have to do 1- use 1/2 spool of mono for backing, 2- use palomar knots with it they wont slip. I use 10 lb test/ 4 lb diameter and here is another trick. After it starts to wear pretty good (turns grey) take it off and put it on again grey end first so that the part that was deep in the spool goes back on last (turn it around) Before getting to that point i also use 1/2 of the spool at a time filling the first half with mono, this gets me 4 uses out of 1 spool of fireline (1 fill, 1 turn over, 1 fill, 1 turnover) Hope this helps those who don't hate fireline [/quote]

Couldn't have said it any better ;D I also only use Fireline nowadays on my spinning reels, except for night fishing(flourescent blue) or occasionally with cranks, depending on the rod You probably overspooled it when you first spooled it up. Usually if you just cut off 10 yards or so it takes care of the problem. I will say this, just like powerpro, there is a "BREAK IN" period, where the line does take a little time to loosen up. It's the same for Powerpro though. I have only put 30lb on the baitcaster, and I don't care for that, probably will give the 20lb a try though. I will also say that there are some big differences in the handling of he line, once you get over the 20lb line IMO. I don't care for anything over 20lbs at this point.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-05, 12:39 AM   #8
hookset0888
BassFishin.Com Member

well i had to say somthing about not having problems with iron silk. today i was fishing a river that had smallies,strippers and atlantic salmon in it. i could see the smallies jumping but ever time i went to cast the knot slipped, i have never had it happen like this before. is there a knot that would work real good? i was using a surgeons not but obviously it wasnt working, also is power pro worth the money? i mean if it is really nice i'll have no issue spending the money but i wanna know first
Old 06-17-05, 12:54 AM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

First of all the ONLY knot I use is a Palomar, otherwise you'll have problems with both the Powerpro(braided) and Fireline(fused). And yes Powerpro is worth the money, just like Fireline is. That is if you use it correctly.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-05, 09:42 AM   #10
Frank_Eagles
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Frank_Eagles

Ande is the only mono worth using. If you want braid, then get power pro.
Frank_Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-05, 09:50 AM   #11
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FishinMommy

Yeah I was woundering about Ande line and if it was worth the money. Mark Davis is sponsored by Ande line.
FishinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-05, 12:16 PM   #12
bass_man
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bass_man

heck i use cajun line for my baitcaster thta works awesome, and i use spider wire 12 pd test 3x super mono and i can trow for miles
bass_man is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.