Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-10-05, 11:17 AM   #1
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to don_P
Default night fishing for bass

Im fishing a night tournament in july. Im already gonna
throw the Gene Larew salty craw. and plastic power
worms...I was thinking about throwing a fluke...?I think it would work since it acts like a dying minnow/shad.the
toury is from10pm-6am about 5am Im gonna start throwing topwater..buzzbait..ect.well thats my game plan . If anyone has any night patterns that have helped
them please share.
good day
Denny
don_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 01:36 PM   #2
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty
Default Re: night fishing for bass

Your'e not even going to try the jitterbug?
I would definately throw a black jitterbug. I would also throw a black buzzbait or a black spinnerbait with a large single colorado blade. Black creates a sillouette against the dark sky. And if you use bug spray be sure not to get any on your lure. If you accidentally get spray on your lure you won't catch a bass all night. Bass are repelled by the scent. The same places you catch bass during the day are produtive at night. Shallow flats and weedbeds.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 01:57 PM   #3
notabassmaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to notabassmaster

I agree with Lockjaw-I wouldn't even consider night fishing without a black jitterbug. That would be my go to bait. Damn, that will be a long *** tourney starting at 10 and ending at 6. I would also try a black Pop "R", with a jerk, jerk retrieve. Good luck and tight lines
notabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 02:08 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

definitly the BIGGEST BLACKEST JITTERBUG you can find!!!! work it around cover structure. reel it in some, then let it sit for about 30secs, then reel it in, and let it pause.....this slayes bass. i would also throw in a black spinnerbait and buzzbait.....and a BIG black worm with worm rattles in it. start using topwater earlier then 5am....maybe 3am. also if the bite is tough, throw a big black/blue jig n pig with RATTLES!! good luck...and dont underestimate the topwater.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 04:18 PM   #5
bamabassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bamabassin

I asked the same question last week about night fishing, and got the same answers.
Basically something black thats topwater. I can't remember who it was but someone told me to throw the Black Jitterbug and let it sit for 30-45 secs then jerk it a couple of times and then let it sit again, after trying that a couple of times work your normal routine to the boat.
At first I told myself that sounds like a long time to wait however on my next night trip I tried it and I'm just gonna tell ya HOLD ON, cuz they'll rip it out of your hands. It's a blast just sitting there listening. Good luck!
bamabassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 07:10 PM   #6
Fishin4theday
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fishin4theday

Try a 3/8 or 1/2 oz short armed spinnerbait with a single colorado blade. Tip the bait with a no 11 Uncle Josh pork frog. Use a black skirt or Black and red or black and purple. Try to find one that has dark colored blades that wont flash.Use florecent line and a black light. Let the bait fall to the bottom. Lift it with the rod from the 9 to 11 position and allow it to flutter back down. Follow the bait as most strikes will come on the fall.If the fish are shallow and they may be late in the night,simply slow roll the bait like you would in the day time. Try to get a blade that thumps a lot. Maybe a ultra vibe or a Pickens in a 4 or 4.5. If there are smallmouth where you fish hold on to your rod, They will hit this bait with a vengence, Fish2win
Fishin4theday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 07:13 PM   #7
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

always remeber when fishing at night u need noise.
Old 06-11-05, 09:18 AM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Plastics, use Bigger and darker colors. They already covered the jitterbug, with the exception, of spray painting it all flat black, even the hooks and lip. Use the cast it out and let it sit till the ripples go away. Fish around flats, that are close to deeper water. Also a head light is a good tool, along with some black lights, and floursecent mono. The black light will light up the flourescent line to allow you to see it. Plus it's a lot nicer to not draw in all the bugs, compared to a flourecent or standard light. Also look for anywhere the are lights along the shoreline. It attracts, bugs, which attract the baitfish, which attracts the Bass. A good old black hula popper is also a good bait. And don't forget the frogs JB has shown you. If you catch a fish in a area, odds are there are several more there. Work it over thoroughly before moving on. Did any one say black was a good color at night I love night fishing, except for the bug part Bring lots of bug spray, and try to have most of you poles rigged up and fresh(not that you wouldn't) but it's harder at night to tie knots ect, I even use dou locks at night for easier bait changes.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 02:55 AM   #9
Fishin4theday
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fishin4theday

Change out your standard Black light bulb with a florencent bug light bulb. They glow a purple pink instead of blue but are just as invisible to the fish and dont attract the bugs. You can get them at Walmart . Just measure the lights you have now so you know what length you need.
A couple of years ago I found a great little light at BPS in Atlanta, It is a LED black light that has a clip attached. It is aboput 4 inches long and has 3 small lED bulbs in the head. It works on a single aaa battery. It is great for retieing or looking for something in the boat. It is invisible to the fish and does not destroy your night vision.
If your lake is very clear avoid florescent white lights altogether. They spook the fish.
Black is a great color for night fishing. Dont think it is the only color, Bass have cones and rods in thier eyes that can see both colors and black and whites.They have evolved to be very effiecient feeders at night. Red purple or blue will at times out fish black. Purple and chartreuse or purple and red are very good night time skirt colors for spinnerbaits. Water clarity makes a big difference as well as moonlight or artificial light such as street lights.
Noise is important but remember bass can hear vibrations as well as noise as we hear.They have an inner ear and a lateral line. Every thing that moves in the water makes noise. The underwater world of the bass is exrtremely noisy. They will home in an erractic noise more than a constant noise.
Texas rigged worms, short arm spinnerbaits and jigs are a more standart bait here in Tennessee for night fishing than topwater.If the fish are hitting at 20 feet around off shore structure during the day they probably wont move to the shore and feed shallow at night. Again this has a lot to do with water clarity. Right now we are catching SM in 10 feet or less at night. Six weeks from now as the lake warms to the upper 80's and clears to 20 feet we will be catching them on top of the thermocline at 28 to 35 feet.Even on the better nights it is often 2 or 3 in the morning before they will move up.Boat traffic during the day has a lot to do with the movement also. The TWRA shocking boat guys told me that on a Sunday or Monday night they cant shock any bass at all. They can only shock to about 18 feet. On Wednesday or Thursday they can shock loads of bass. They do annual creel studys and shocking is one method they use to determine average size and population density. They blame the week-end pleasure boat traffic on the fishes sudden depth change.
I have been night fishing for bass since the late 1960,s. The fish will hit the same at night as in the day.One thing that I have learned is that there are no absolutes to bass fishing. The fish dont read or operate computors.I also know that a bass in Texas is the same as a bass in Michigan. They will react much the same. Dont be afraid to try something different at Night and dont be one dementional. Fish2win
Fishin4theday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 09:51 AM   #10
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to don_P

Wow !! thanks alot to all the advice.It means alot I will
concider them all ;D
Denny
don_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 12:47 PM   #11
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

[quote author=arkansasbassin link=board=news;num=1118413045;start=0#4 date=06/10/05 at 15:18:54]I asked the same question last week about night fishing, and got the same answers.
Basically something black thats topwater. Â*I can't remember who it was but someone told me to throw the Black Jitterbug and let it sit for 30-45 secs then jerk it a couple of times and then let it sit again, after trying that a couple of times work your normal routine to the boat. Â*
At first I told myself that sounds like a long time to wait however on my next night trip I tried it and I'm just gonna tell ya HOLD ON, cuz they'll rip it out of your hands. It's a blast just sitting there listening. Â*Good luck![/quote]
that was me 8) i always let it sit for 30+secs....that drives the fish CRAZYYY! dont ya love the jitterbug?!
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 12:39 AM   #12
jaredangie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jaredangie

I started night fishing this week here in central Illinois and have just been killing them on a baby paca craw with a tube rattle and all scented up!
I have been twice and have a 6lb 2 oz fish with three more all over 17 inches the first night. Caught a 4lb 11oz and 3 more over 15 inches last night. Not to mention the boat load of slot fish (12 to 15 inches) and under fish!! ;D
These paca craws rule!!
jaredangie is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.