Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-24-09, 05:51 PM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Maybe I bought the wrong brand, but fluorocarbon sucks.

Yeah, I let the guy at BPS talk me into spooling up my Abu silver max with Seagar fluorocarbon 12lb. After 3 days of giving this stuff a chance, I’m coming to the conclusion that is sucks. Or maybe I’m not used to it.

I don’t like the way it comes off the real. It almost feels like it’s the cheap mono you get when you buy a inexpensive real from Wal-Mart. I’ve adjusted my tension and brakes and it still threatens to backlash on almost every cast.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 06:04 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4942 View Post
Yeah, I let the guy at BPS talk me into spooling up my Abu silver max with Seagar fluorocarbon 12lb. After 3 days of giving this stuff a chance, I’m coming to the conclusion that is sucks. Or maybe I’m not used to it.

I don’t like the way it comes off the real. It almost feels like it’s the cheap mono you get when you buy a inexpensive real from Wal-Mart. I’ve adjusted my tension and brakes and it still threatens to backlash on almost every cast.
Well, that does not bode well for me. I just got home from Gander with a new spool of 8lb Seaguar Carbon-Pro. I hope I have better results.
Old 07-24-09, 07:03 PM   #3
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Well, that does not bode well for me. I just got home from Gander with a new spool of 8lb Seaguar Carbon-Pro. I hope I have better results.
I grabbed some Carbon Pro, from Gander Mountain, as a matter of fact and I hated it!
Terrible tangles and it didn't cast for shizzle!
Keep in mind, it was my 1st time using fluoro and it was a spinning reel. Maybe it was more me than the line?
Hopefully, you have better luck
Old 07-24-09, 07:16 PM   #4
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
no fear just use a line conditioner be and after ya go out and it will be fine

jim
Old 07-24-09, 10:19 PM   #5
Jim80

Quote:

Same answer man line conditioner is your friend with fluorocarbon I currently have fluoro on five of my six setups and very rarely have to deal with a birds nest .

Jim
Old 07-24-09, 10:49 PM   #6
Stew

The brands I have used have been more cumbersome than mono, no question about it. Line conditioner is a MUST for it to be reasonably workable. Still, I've often been opting to use three feet (or more if drop-shotting) of flouro leader attached to braid with a tiny O-ring.

That said, check out this and view the video.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Stew; 07-24-09 at 11:04 PM.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 04:04 AM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have been getting the same thing out of my Calcutta with #17 Berkely 100% FC. Except when I douse it with line conditioner like Jim said. It was good at first, but now I cuss under my breath every other time I throw. I have heard a lot of good things out of the Seagar though.
Old 07-25-09, 09:11 AM   #8
aikenyounggun

I HATE FLOURACARBON...... i have used it b/c SBK loves it

and this whole crap about being more abrasion resistance is a lie.....

i was fishin a c-rig around rock, i mean consant rock, and after like 5 hours mono broke, and i was about to retie then the guy i was fishin with said "hey use this" i did, after like 5 cast it was messed up, i changed again, and like 2 cast later it broke on the hook set

that was a bad bad day, everythin went wrong, but yes flourocarbon is garbage

now i have used that transoptic stuff bekley just released.... and like 3 months ago (i have connections) i caught my first drop shot fish on that, and it cast good
Old 07-25-09, 11:46 AM   #9
keithdog

Last year was the first time I tried Flourocarbon line. I tried the BPS brand for lack of a better idea. I'd heard some folks used it so thought why not try it. I hated it. Same trouble your having. But I was new to flourocarbon, and it does take time to get the hang of casting with it. I primarily use it in flippin situations. However, I decided this year to try Berkleys 100% Flourocarbon after hearing high praise from certain members of this site who's judgment I trust. I'm still using that line and am very happy with it. A much better line than the BPS line. I've never used a line conditioner but I am buying some soon to see what type of difference that makes. From what I've read it should make casting all lines better. I woould recommend you try the Berkley 100%. It made for a better choice for me.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 04:17 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Fish, It seems you repeatedly have them spool your reels at store and you seem to always have problems. why not just do it yourself?!

Seaguar InvisX is the smoothed casting fluorocarbon I've ever used. Spray some KVD line and lure on it, and it gets even better. What seaguar fluorocarbon did you have them spool? I hope you got the good stuff, InvisX or AbrasX and not the cheaper red label or Carbon Pro (although carbon pro still isn't bad.

BB
Old 07-25-09, 04:45 PM   #11
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

fluorocarbon is good line but it holds memory, and after awhile is useless i dont throw it anymore i stay with braid and mono, although yozuri makes a good line haven't had any problems with that yet.
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 05:09 PM   #12
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I would recommend you try the Berkley 100%. It made for a better choice for me.

^^^ +1 on the triline 100% fluorocarbon

Jim
Old 07-25-09, 06:49 PM   #13
CMorg

Quote:

There are alot of Seagar flouro fans on here , Im NOT one of them. I do however love flourocarbon. My two brands are Vicious and Berkley professional 100%. Never had any problems with them , especially the Vicious.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 07:38 PM   #14
t1365
BassFishin.Com Member

I've been using the Bass Pro XPS flouro for 3 years and haven't had problems. Before that I used Seguar Carbon Pro. When I first began using it I found it backlashed alot. I was told later that flouro is heavier than mono and the spool spins faster. I eased up on the casting and let the reel do the work and since then have had very few problems. Now I do agree that flouro is much easier to break once it has a nick in it, but I retie often and for me am willing to make the trade for the increased sensitivity.
t1365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 09:44 AM   #15
fish4942

I’m starting to think it’s probably the brand. I saw that more expensive Seaguar abraz but I didn’t want to spend that much. BSP rep said that the seaguar I bought was the best on the market. That just goes to show that you really have to find out for yourself what it the best for you.

All indications were that fluorocarbon was tough and abrasion resistant. Yeah right. When I was pulling out some line from the spool after a cast to straighten out a baby backlash I discovered the line had broke within the line on the spool. So I’m sitting there with my lure 20 yards in the lake and I had to pull it in by hand. That did it for me. I’m taking the reel and the rest of this suckgar fluorocarbon back today. I’m going back to mono. I have a couple reels spooled up with Suffix 20lb braid so I’m going with the Suffix Siege mono this time. Oh, and a lure…should have about 4-5 bucks left over from the difference in line price.
Old 07-27-09, 01:39 PM   #16
Kevin
Administrator

Being a huge fan of Fluorocarbon and having a pretty intimate knowledge of both BPS brand and Seaguar brands, here is the deal on these FC's...

Seaguar's Carbon Pro (which may or may not even be in production anymore) is Seaguar's lowest quality fluorocarbon "main" lines. It has inferior softness, tensile/knot strength and abrasion resistance... not to mention it also has more stretch than their other fluorocarbons.

Seaguar's FC main lines, in order from BEST to WORST are as follows (IMHO):
1. Tatsu
2. AbrazX
3. InvisX
4. Red Label
5. Carbon Pro

So if you bought Carbon Pro and didn't like it, perhaps it is because it is one of their "inexpensive" lines. I've never fished Carbon Pro, so I can't give it a due comparison to their other lineup of FC's.

As I've mentioned, I'm a big fan of Seaguar and a big fan of Bass Pro Shop's XPS Fluorocarbon, which is made by Seaguar. While I haven't tried EVERY fluorocarbon out there, I've tried most of the "big store" brands and even some of the lesser known lines like Blackwater International (which has some good lines). It is my opinion that Trilene's 100% Fluorocarbon is among the worst.

A line conditioner will help tremendously, but I do not want to give the idea that you NEED to use a line conditioner with fluorocarbon. If you have the money to use a conditioner, then spray it on before storage. If you'd rather not spend your money on conditioners, and don't want to use one, then a quality fluorocarbon shouldn't give you any problems.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 02:45 PM   #17
TravisRush

The Invizx is the best I have tried so far. It's nice and limp and casts really well
TravisRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 02:50 PM   #18
basstech

I've recently been using the Carbon Pro Kevin, 20lb. with jigs and it is a lot more resistant to abrasion than the Inviz X, but it is also stiffer, I haven't had any problems with it my self and none of my knots have broke on me at this point. A lot of what makes a line "good" comes down to the application one would be using it in wouldn't it?
Old 07-27-09, 04:46 PM   #19
fish4942

So what exactly is the benefit of using fluorocarbon over mono? Is it just a preference thing? I guess it’s a matter of what works for the individual. But that fluorocarbon seems to be too much trouble.
Old 07-27-09, 05:05 PM   #20
OrygunBasser

I only use it for leader!!!!
Old 07-27-09, 05:34 PM   #21
James
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to James

Ive never had any problems with any fluorocarbon lines. My favorite brands are P-Line, XPS, and Vicious. I could see where the memory could be an issue on spinning tackle. Its been a great main line, and the sensitivity is miles ahead of mono
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 05:41 PM   #22
Bassboss

Quote:
So what exactly is the benefit of using fluorocarbon over mono? Is it just a preference thing? I guess it’s a matter of what works for the individual. But that fluorocarbon seems to be too much trouble.
It's 99.9% invisible to fish under water, it also has less stretch, and better abrasion resistances than mono. I wouldn't say that it's a good "all purpose" line though. It's not so good for fishing top waters (including buzzbaits) or spinnerbaits. It's 100% better for fishing cranks, jigs and worms compared to mono. The only brands I've used are BPS XPS flouro. I wanna try Seagure invizX, abrazX, and berkly 100%. as for now, I use braid with a flouro leader with an Alberto knot!
Old 07-27-09, 05:57 PM   #23
BigBassin144

Kevin, Tatsu? Never heard of it. is it new, he asks hopefully. and how, price wise, does is compare to the Abrasx or Invisx?

I've used carbon pro and InvisX. The InvisX is much better, especially with a bit of line conditioner. Just remember with fluoro the stiffer the line, the more abraision resistant (most of the time).

Fish, While Fluoro and mono both have their pro and cons, I think they are both great for specific techinques.

Fluoro
Pros - Low vis, sinks, much more sensitive, more abraision resistant, normally stretches less tham mono.
Cons - sinks, not as good knot strength, bad tensile strength, most likely stiffer and more memory, more expensive (all but the price one are constantly being researched and improved (no one ever "improves" their prices, lol))

Mono
Pros - floats, has stretch and elasticity, fairly inexpensive, variety of colors, better knot and tensile strength.
cons - floats, streches, not as sensitive, not as abraision resistant.

Some things (like floats or sinks) are on both pros and cons because it depends on the different application. You never want to use fluoro with topwaters because it sinks, but it's great for, say, T-rigs.

BB
Old 07-27-09, 05:59 PM   #24
BigBassin144

bassboss, where'd you hear 99.9% invisible? never heard that before.

or maybe you're just making statistics up. (I won't tell anyone! )

BB
Old 07-27-09, 06:51 PM   #25
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
bassboss, where'd you hear 99.9% invisible? never heard that before.

or maybe you're just making statistics up. (I won't tell anyone! )

BB
Thanks BB!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.