Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-10, 08:29 AM   #26
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
Most of today's baitcasters are serviceable. You may need to crank everything down until you train your thumb again. Remember to adjust it when you change lures to where you can push the release and have a steady controlled lure drop. With a little practice you will be able to use whichever you end up with.
Man I thought I was gonna be a hotshot too. My last bait caster, my only one before this new one, was not a great reel. It didn't cast far, and I think it was pretty old when I got it. But one thing about it was, I never backlashed it. I wish I could remember what it was.

At any rate, I did get some nice casts off yesterday. But I think I will keep the spool cranked down for a bit.
Old 05-31-10, 10:06 AM   #27
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

BFJ, Check our this article I wrote on Properly Adjusting A Baitcaster.

Unfortunately, when you buy your first baitcaster (or first in a very long time) you don't get shown how to set it up properly. It's different than the baitcaster you had 17 years ago, yet also kind of similar.

"cranking everything down" is not the solution to learn the baitcaster. If you're not getting ANY backlashes, you're reel is probably set up and wrong, and you won't be getting any distance.

BB
Old 05-31-10, 12:06 PM   #28
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

As you mentioned, least favorite in feel in your hands. It might just be me, but like you, I would go for comfort and feel over other factors most of the time.

For example, lots of folks like the st. croix mojo for price and performance. However, for as reputable as they are, just don't feel good or right to me in my hands. This doesn't mean the mojo is junk nor do I hate them, it simply means that in my hands they just didn't feel right. It's subjective for sure. I wouldn't spend $10 let alone $90 on something that isn't going to feel right.

You are also so right about not wanting to rush. That's the best approach IMHO. Soon you're going to learn about your bait monkey and how implusive he can make you. Don't know who the bait monkey is? Just wait. Every one of us here has one.
Old 05-31-10, 12:32 PM   #29
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

Unfortunately, when you buy your first baitcaster (or first in a very long time) you don't get shown how to set it up properly. It's different than the baitcaster you had 17 years ago, yet also kind of similar.

"cranking everything down" is not the solution to learn the baitcaster. If you're not getting ANY backlashes, you're reel is probably set up and wrong, and you won't be getting any distance.

BB
Thanks for that link, I am on my way to read it now!

BTW the old reel was a Garcia of some sort. I really can't remember. Maybe a Mag I or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
As you mentioned, least favorite in feel in your hands. It might just be me, but like you, I would go for comfort and feel over other factors most of the time.

For example, lots of folks like the st. croix mojo for price and performance. However, for as reputable as they are, just don't feel good or right to me in my hands. This doesn't mean the mojo is junk nor do I hate them, it simply means that in my hands they just didn't feel right. It's subjective for sure. I wouldn't spend $10 let alone $90 on something that isn't going to feel right.

You are also so right about not wanting to rush. That's the best approach IMHO. Soon you're going to learn about your bait monkey and how implusive he can make you. Don't know who the bait monkey is? Just wait. Every one of us here has one.
I have a monkey already. It's name is the L Lens monkey. I am very familiar with this kind of monkey. I was not aware that the caster had it's own species though. Guess I'd better get another leash.

As for patience, I am trying. I am going back to Dick's this afternoon. They have the original combo I thought I bought, so I am going to check it out.

I'll let ya'll know how that goes.

My pet monkey... I spent just over a grand on my last one.
Old 05-31-10, 12:42 PM   #30
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Haha, there's a few of us on here who can commiserate about having to split funds between fishing and photography, and more who split it with other hobbies. I'm new to photography and have quickly learned its much more expensive than fishing. LOL

BB
Old 05-31-10, 12:52 PM   #31
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Haha, there's a few of us on here who can commiserate about having to split funds between fishing and photography, and more who split it with other hobbies. I'm new to photography and have quickly learned its much more expensive than fishing. LOL

BB
Yeah buddy. I often comment to my GF that I wish fishing were my only passion. For all I have spent on photography I could have a boat and 10 rods...
Old 05-31-10, 01:49 PM   #32
walkeraviator

Try having 3 expensive passions. I play guitar, shoot (sometimes competitively), and fish. If I could sell my guitar equipment, I would have a boat...but selling a guitar is like selling your childs kidney...its just wrong... and before flying became a job, it was $100 just rent my passion for an hour...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-10, 01:50 PM   #33
walkeraviator

Did you ever go to wally world and check for teh blackmax combo??? Im tellin ya... i am loving this thing so far...
Old 05-31-10, 01:53 PM   #34
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Did you ever go to wally world and check for teh blackmax combo??? Im tellin ya... i am loving this thing so far...
I did actually, but my GF's employee discount got me. $38 for an 80 dollar combo. I had to take it.
Old 05-31-10, 02:47 PM   #35
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFeverJohn View Post
I did actually, but my GF's employee discount got me. $38 for an 80 dollar combo. I had to take it.
totally understand.
Old 05-31-10, 07:24 PM   #36
BassFeverJohn

Well.. I am back from Dick's. turned out I didn't really care for the Pflueger either. I was rather disappointed, so I gave a good look at the ugly Stick, compared it to the quantum and decided I didn't care much for them either. So I took a step back and decided to start over. I looked over every combo in my price range, and tried them all. I even pretended to fish with them. I ended up seeing that a combo was not going to do it for me. So i started looking at rods. I tried about 5 before I found the one I fell in love with. It's a 5'6" medium action ugly stick with a pistol grip. It just fit me right away, and it's the length I am most comfortable with. I had to go with a budget reel, basically the cheepest one on the rack, a Shakespeare Agility. It has the same specs as the Quantum, so no big deal there. The package says the ratio is 5.1:1, but on the reel it says 6.3:1; I believe the latter, and has four bearings. It seems mostly to be made of metal and graphite. There's some plastic, but it doesn't feel like it will fall apart tomorrow.

My plan is simple. Since I have the rod I want I am just going to wait until the cash comes around and get a better reel. Maybe buy a cheap Wally World rod and toss this reel on it as a beater rod.

I must say I am very happy with my purchase now. Thanks for all the input guys! Ya'll have made me feel like one of the group from the get go!
Old 06-01-10, 07:28 AM   #37
AUFred

Quote:

BB

I meant do that only until his thumb grew more educated. I suppose I should have been clearer.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 07:37 AM   #38
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
I meant do that only until his thumb grew more educated. I suppose I should have been clearer.
I would have said reeducated, but after reading that article I realized I didn't know spit about that old caster. I thought the mag brake dial was the drag. I was always turning that thing up and down. And I kept the drag always cranked down hard, and the spool really tight. This must be why I had very few bird's nests, and extremely short casts.

17 years ago I didn't have the internet, or the brains to go check a book out at the library. I was just a kid that muddled through everything under my own brain power. I sure am glad I have folks like you guys now to help guide me when i need it.

And google doesn't hurt either...
Old 06-01-10, 11:19 AM   #39
islandbass

Congrats on your final decision! I didn't realize that there was a lens monkey too!

I believe that the hunt for new gear is always exciting, even if I am not the one looking, and it is definitely a worthy, vicarious experience.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.