Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-12-05, 06:39 PM   #26
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default Re: and then..those pissy water skiers..

I can see where a skier wouldn't like someone trolling with lines out towards the middle, but as stated earlier, its the people that buzz fishermen within 20 ft of the bank that gets people going IMO
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 06:40 PM   #27
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

the only time i have a problem with them is when they bother me. other then that i dont care what they do. unless they are bothering other people.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 06:43 PM   #28
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

alot of times its just the noise they make turning circles that makes ya kinda loose your concentration of line watchin' >
Old 04-12-05, 06:44 PM   #29
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

ya, but thats something that you have to live with, they do have their rights.
Old 04-12-05, 06:47 PM   #30
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

theres plenty of nooks n crannies that you can hit, and this time of year the lakes that have ends with feeder creeks are usually the no idle zone, so as long as the fish are there its no big whoop, but as summer goes they spread out to the points on the big body of water ,
all i can say is go on a workday lol
and never on sunday after noon
Old 04-13-05, 09:32 AM   #31
mrbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mrbasser

[quote author=bassnman30 link=board=news;num=1113163277;start=0#20 date=04/12/05 at 14:49:52]mjr,
This is a fishermans site. If you can't agree then go to another site.

Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*bassnman30[/quote]
Well ill agree to disagree
mrbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-05, 02:57 AM   #32
mikee051
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mikee051

zookers got a good point in that a ski boat makes alot more wake than a jet ski. most of these boats are built to make a huge wake. its to bad, if you dont have a fishing pole in your hand you shouldnt be allowed within 50 feet or so of the bank and or cove. a trolling motor or a slow troll with the gas engine should be the only exception.
mikee051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-05, 05:36 PM   #33
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

One Sweet thing around here after labor day almost 90 percent of boaters pack it in for the year, which leaves 2-3 months of fishing the lake with fewer wave runners or cigar boats 8)
Old 04-17-05, 10:58 AM   #34
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

jb
i wish this was true here. sat.the water on gaston was 57+ and not above 60 i saw a jet skier -guy-wearing just shorts in mid 50 degree air temps with 20+mph wind playing on the lake. last year on new years eve i seen a water skier running down the lake wide open. so go figure.

mb
the docks on most lake-yadkin chain -are regulated the company that owns the water way-alcoa-maintains docking lenth code. 50 feet would almost put you on the end of the docks here. a lot of these creeks are not 400 feet wide with 100 of docks -adding both sides-so really the skiers and the jet ski's tend to play to one or two creeks on the lakes-they are seen all over it-
we have a couple of lakes that i like to fish at times that don't have many pleasure craft one is tuckertown the other is thom-a-lex which does not allow pleasure craft at all.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 01:30 PM   #35
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

I fish both ohio and indiana waters and the lakes here have a water fowl area (no idle) usually from a causeway(bridge) to the lower end of the lake.
Its a nice santucary place for fishermen, but doesn't always hold fish during summer
Old 04-18-05, 08:46 AM   #36
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

Wake size is dependent on boat speed, hull shape and hull depth on plane. I've been slammed with bow-pitching wakes from overloaded motor boats, overloaded with a bunch of drunk partiers, going 30 mph. The faster ski boats, out for a joy ride, going 45 or better, don't wake as much, but you still stare them down when they zoom by between you and the shore line, when you're anchored only 50 yds from shore and casting to a deeper part of a point. > A few casts with a Zara Spook at their heads usually gets their attention, plus staring at them as they go past.

Most rec boaters don't want to ruin the nice feeling of enjoying the water with the ire of anglers trying to enjoy the moment also. Those that could give a sh**, usually are inconsiderate drivers that hold all others in contempt and screw with people daily just because they can.

If the daily frequency of boat and jet ski traffic increases, the only option is to go early or late or hit waters where speed isn't an option (too shallow, rocky, many no-wake zones, trolling motor only, etc.) and going weekdays. During the week, parents of the little runts allowed to run at high speed, have to work and don't give little Johnny or Gloria their permission to boat when they're not there to observe. That's when I have the lake all to myself until 3 pm, at which time the hot sun drives me off to the cooler indoors.
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 07:04 PM   #37
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

let me be blunt !!
if you are driving something other than a bass boat or fishing rig. and break down. do not wave at me as i zoom by because you are wasting your time.

while i will happily tow a FISHING boat.

if you break down and i know you i still will NOT tow a jet ski or ski boat of any kind regaurdless of condition.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 04-18-05, 07:10 PM   #38
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

zook, you left out hunting boat i also sometimes have problems with airboats. they make me mad whhen you are in a duck blind with decoys out and they drive right thru your decoys waving at you > and when you are fishing for crappie and they drive right thru your bobbers. makes me mad.
Old 04-18-05, 10:35 PM   #39
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

we don't get to many air boats here. besides every time i go out with my duck boat there is almost always 2-3 other boats that go out with us. and yes i have broke down with my duck sled 5 miles from the launch -that was a long day-

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 04-18-05, 10:43 PM   #40
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

yea, i dont like them when im fishin.
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 10:51 PM   #41
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

airboats are a nuesense here, we find a good spot to hunt, and the airboats will zoom all around us, they are mainly deer hunters looking for areas to hunt along the bank. some hunt hogs, and then you will have the occasional fisherman or pleasure boater. all on airboats looking for areas to do what they need to do, and we are caught up in it all. and when we are fishing, the airboats that rip thru are usually pleasure boaters.
Old 04-19-05, 12:47 AM   #42
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

It all the same, I fish in an area with tons of airboaters. 90% of them will stay away from guys fishing. Most of the time it's the youngsters in daddy's boat haulin butt, making a *** of themselves. Most airboaters realize a good wake from a larger bass rig can swamp them quickly if they are not running on a plane, also a well thrown stick can really mess up their day. Two or three shots at their waterline is also a pretty solid warning. Not to many problems w/ waterskiers or jet ski's where Im at.8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 06:55 PM   #43
DDmay87
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to DDmay87

Here in on Lake Travis we have a number of "poker runs" on the lake with the huge cigarette boats and power boats racing around the lake. 2 summers ago there were 2 40+ foot Scarabs racing towards the damn when one turned in front of the other and the trailing boat caught the wave and barrell rolled 4 times while ejecting all 6 people out of the boat. The boat cracked in half and sank within 1 minute of doing its final roll. Everyone was recovered and one person died, the boat sat on the bottom of Travis for almost 2 months before being salvaged. It was a sight to see when they brought that thing up and loaded it on a semi at the boat ramp. These guys run up and down the lake wide open and pay no attention to the smaller boats around them, very scarry!
DDmay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 11:36 PM   #44
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Dont wish anyone harm, but if you're gonna be stupid......you better be tough! 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-05, 01:21 PM   #45
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

that seems to be the general rule of thumb..like on lake erie, the bigger the boat the more right of way the skipper thinks he has it IMO

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.