Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-31-11, 12:15 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Another buzzbait question

As I posted earlier, I've been finally catching a few bass on buzzbaits after having never having caught anything on a buzzbait in 30 years. So I've been throwing them more lately and have noticed something I want to ask about. I have four different brands of buzzbaits and all of them do the same thing. They run off to the side when reeling them in. Not drastically off to the side but none of them run back straight and true. I've tried bending the wire every which way and no matter how I bend the wire, they all run slightly to the left when looking at them. I'm assuming it has something to do with the dirrection the blade spins. So I'm curious if what I am experiencing is normal?
Old 07-31-11, 05:17 AM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

KD, I usually bend mine with a set of pliers right out of the head or at the blade turn and this fixes it to run true. It can be bothersome to get it there, but I hate it about as bad as a 1 side running crankbait.
Old 07-31-11, 01:28 PM   #3
nobass

keith hold your rod tip up higher, what grear ratio you using and what siize line. i found if i have to much bow in line they do that and lay on there side also.
Old 07-31-11, 01:57 PM   #4
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
keith hold your rod tip up higher, what grear ratio you using and what siize line. i found if i have to much bow in line they do that and lay on there side also.
It's a 7" MH/F rod, 6.4:1 ratio with 15 mound mono, rod held at 10 oclock possition.
Old 07-31-11, 05:06 PM   #5
3dkicker

Yes this is normal. You'll need to tune them to get them to run correctly. But I do know guys who have some that run right and others that run left and they use them to purposely run them into cover like pads or under docks.....
Old 07-31-11, 07:18 PM   #6
Marty

Yes, I think it's absolutely normal. Because of the kind of person I am, I want that bait to be running perfectly, although I rarely achieve it because I have difficulty tuning buzzbaits.

On the other hand, my partner isn't bothered by his baits running at an angle and in the final analysis, it doesn't seem to make much difference in the number of strikes or fish landed.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 08:42 PM   #7
keithdog

I can see where it would be helpful to have it running off to an angle for certain situations. But there are times I want it to run back straight past a piece of cover and there isn't always space to compensate for the angled retrieve. It's definately a learning experience.
Old 08-01-11, 09:49 AM   #8
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Absolutely a learning experience!

Not only is bending the arm tricky in general, each arm bends a bit different and once you bend it, any subsequent bends seem to react differently.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 01:53 PM   #9
lilmule

Tuning same as you would a spinnerbait,or crankbait if runs to one side a lot bend wire or lip as on a crankbait the other direction.
Nothing is perfect the prop blade is spinning creating torque on that side just like a prop on a boat motor,so difficult to get exact but can get close.
That tip about line laying on the water is also accurate,as well as windy days doing things to them.While topwater is not what one would normally toss on a windy day ive seen it when a front moved in they tore them up and couldnt see them myself hardly.
Next is they all dont make same noise or same splash pattern,delta blades,triblades and quad blades,some with holes in blades and some with rattles.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 06:27 PM   #10
bassinbob

Yea k-dog, that can drive you crazy. I try to tune them and sometimes it works. I hate when they come in at a 45 degree angle.
Old 08-01-11, 07:11 PM   #11
keithdog

Well I did try tuning them like I do a spinnerbait. Even bent the wire widely opposite of the dirrection the buzzer was running. Made no difference, lol. Guess I'll learn to live with it and adapt.
Old 08-02-11, 06:22 PM   #12
bassinbob

K-dog, did you try it with your line out of the water? I'm keeping that in mind for my next trip out. I hate when they layover and the blade and body are both riding the surface.
Old 08-02-11, 06:48 PM   #13
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
K-dog, did you try it with your line out of the water? I'm keeping that in mind for my next trip out. I hate when they layover and the blade and body are both riding the surface.
Yeah, I run a tight line out of the water. Havn't had any problem with them laying over.
Old 08-02-11, 07:26 PM   #14
nobass

keithdog treat yourself order one from the website i sent you i do not throw any other ones. for reason you will see
Old 08-02-11, 08:36 PM   #15
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
keithdog treat yourself order one from the website i sent you i do not throw any other ones. for reason you will see
Thats definately on my bucket list.
Old 08-03-11, 10:52 PM   #16
LilJakeC
BassFishin.Com Member

If your buzzbaits are single blade buzzbaits then they will always run to one side or the other. The torque of the blade rotating will cause it to run the way it is turning.
Old 08-04-11, 04:52 AM   #17
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJakeC View Post
If your buzzbaits are single blade buzzbaits then they will always run to one side or the other. The torque of the blade rotating will cause it to run the way it is turning.
Gotta disagree on that one. I have single bladed buzzbaits I can throw down a bank and it will run a stright line parallel to it back to me.
Old 08-04-11, 07:21 AM   #18
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

A single bladed buzz bait WANTS to run to one side or the other, thats the effect of the blade pulling water like a sideways paddle wheel. They can be tuned to compensate for that and many do run straight. My favorite buzzer is an old 3 blade prop that runs straight all the time. Another buzzer I love to use is called a top prop. Its a floating bait with a spinning bulb and it can be stopped to float by an object and then buzed normally also. I alos have some of th twin blade buzzers shapet like a T with side by side buzzers. I have not had a lot of luck with those .
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 08:15 AM   #19
lilmule

Thats true yet like an outboard motor creating torque to one side,thus torque tab adjustment, same on a buzzbait it can be adheared to as well,by tilting or bending the wire a small degree.Nothing is perfect yet not much to one side or other.
Every type of buzzbait blade acts a tad different,quad blades,tri blades ,duo blades,egg beater blades and delta grass blades,being the quieter and less torque to one side,and in dual counter rotating cancel each other totally.

So nothing is set in stone.

Last edited by lilmule; 08-04-11 at 08:23 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 03:45 AM   #20
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'd rather my buzzbaits run off to the side. I can steer them around objects, under docks and overhanging tree limbs, follow weedlines, whatever I need them to do. If you really want one that runs straight out of the box try a double buzzer, I've never had one of them that didn't run straight out of the box.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.