Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-17-11, 12:06 PM   #1
fishingprodigy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 2nd Tourney, Critique my Plan

Hey guys, my second tournament is coming up on the 19th on the Northeast River in MD. As you know, I did decently in my first tournament placing 6th out of 14 with a 11.24 pound bag. I will be fishing as a coangler again so I'm going to plan my rigs accordingly. There is a cold front coming through with the water temps about 47 degrees and visibility about 2-3 feet. I only own two setups so this is my plan on what I'll be fishing.

Set up 1: 6'6 medium g'loomis glx spinning rod on a daiwa tierra with 30 pound samurai braid and 6' leader of 12 pound invisx. This setup will be a drop shot setup only with a 3/16 drop shot weight and a hook about 20 inches up. My drop shot worm of choice will be roboworm shakin zipper worm, green pumpkin with a chart tip. I plan to use this rig around docks, pilings, and deep structure should these situations arise.

Set up 2: 6'6 med/heavy g'loomis glx casting rod on an antares dc with 40 pound samurai braid and 6' leader of 12 pound invisx. I'm intially going to have a texas rig set up on it with a 1/4 ounce weight with berkley's devil spear in green pumpkin, the tail dyed chart via spike it. I'll be throwing this rig around grass as well as docks, pilings, and structure. If the texas rig isn't working, I'll be switching to a snap and throwing jig n' pigs in the same area, lc pointer 100 in 5' diver and 8' diver in open water type areas and as a last resort 10-14' diving crankbaits.

If you guys have any other suggestions that you think will help me in the upcoming tourney, please let me know.
fishingprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-11, 06:10 PM   #2
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think some of what you do will be decided by the angler your fishing with. With a couple of spinning rigs and a couple of casting rigs you will be able to compensate for what your angler is doing.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-11, 07:38 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nothing wrong with attempting to plan,2 setups keep an open mind and if the boater catches fish and you arnt change to what they are doing.
47f water sounds like jerkbait but fall even late can mean rattletraps,your water will be clearer id stay away from swivels.Dont overlook something like a flat hopkins spoon,its a great river bait but also tends to catch everything.
In the fall cooling water they seem to tend to chase more so than in cold spring water.
Lot of it is, luck of the draw boater may not have a clue,and thus you may not have a chance or vise versa.It is after all called fishing not catching.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-11, 11:05 PM   #4
aikenyounggun

Well the Texas rig if it's a true cold front, skip the red spike it, just stay natural: opinion but I consider finesse my strength. FISH SLOW!!! Biggest help, just do it, drive yourself nuts, but it will catch you fish.

Ps- 2 set-ups and they are both g-loomis?!? Nice, like your style
Old 11-18-11, 08:51 AM   #5
fishingprodigy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the advice guys, yeah I only own two setups, both of which my uncle give to me as gifts. He probably owns 12+ setups each combo at least $400, so he was nice enough to spare a few to me (actually he was nice enough to give me the antares dc/g loomis combo which is worth $1,000, he said he didn't need the dc reel because his thumb is more educated than the dc system).
Old 11-18-11, 09:36 AM   #6
joedog

Your uncle seems to be not only a "Great Uncle" but he would probably fit right in around here. You should suggest he join us.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-11, 09:58 AM   #7
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

WHAT?! No Alabama rig! I have good success lately(I'm on a res. though) with my X-raps. The guys on another site have been having great luck on the Susky using a round jig(white) with chartreuse twister tail grubs, but hitting mostly smallies.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-11, 12:48 PM   #8
fishingprodigy
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Your uncle seems to be not only a "Great Uncle" but he would probably fit right in around here. You should suggest he join us.
He actually isn't fishing as much any more due to severe fishing elbow, I'll ask him if he wants to join this forum to help fuel his fishing needs.

Haha I don't think I'll be fishing the alabama rig this tourney, mostly because I don't know how to rig it or have the correct gear. Also, I don't think the bass are going to be chasing schools of baitfish in 48 degree water, I think they'll be chilling near the bottom trying to fatten up on crawfish.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.