Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-29-11, 07:32 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Do you like noise?

Just wondering, do you prefer jigs with rattles or without? Alot of the pros seem to feel rattles aren't necesary if not counter productive. The logic, to my best understanding, is that nothing a jig is meant to imitate makes noise. Hence no rattle. Now an exception is murky water, noise makes locating jig easier.
So, do you use rattles? If yes, when, where and why?
If no, why?
It seems a few members make jigs themselves so I would think those of you with such a great talent would definitely have a preference or at least a fair understanding of the whys and why nots.
I'm really curious about this. My thoughts, most the jigs I fish are rattleless. I have some with rattles but I'm really a casting jig kind of guy so no rattles seem to have less air resistance other than that I guess I really don't care. Oh, most of my jig+rattle are heavier.
So what you you think?
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 08:18 PM   #2
kennethdaysale

Joe I'm not real big on rattles. I sometimes use one of those tiny glass inserts in rubber worms if I'm fishing deep or stained water. Re: jigs...if in fact jigs are suppose to be mimicking a crawdad (questionable) craws are actually pretty noisy little rascals.
Old 11-29-11, 08:35 PM   #3
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It depends. If the water is murky. rattles will help a bass find the jig. In clear water, rattles may spook fish. If the lake is highly pressured, then you may want to try baits that don't make any noise. Crawdads make a clicking noise and thats what rattles are supposed to mimic.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 08:54 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i haven't used a jig enough to really comment, but i would think the rattles would help in muddy or murky waters.
Old 11-29-11, 09:25 PM   #5
lunkerscore
BassFishin.Com Member

I make my own rattles from aluminum gas pilot light tubing. Small diameter and when filled with #9 shot has a very subtle sound . I use them in plastics at night, mainly dark of the moon in standing timber. I shake them lightly at the end of the fall over each limb. I always use them in plastic Craws on jig heads.

I feel they do make a difference under those circumstamces and conditions especially for bigger fish.
lunkerscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 10:20 PM   #6
Bassboss

Who ever says that what ever jigs imitate don't make noise. A crawdad is perhaps the biggest thing a jig is made to replicate. Form wadding in rivers I can tell you THESE SUCKERS MAKE NOISE! In the summer when the craws are literally COVERING the river bottom. And when you walk, they scoot away. And from above the water, you can hear them making little *click click* noises as they scoot. I think that whenever you're trying to make em look like a craw, use a rattle. But not the kind of wattle with 10000 glass beads. A rattle with a single ball is perfect, something there just to make a little ticking noise like a craw is perfect IMO.
Old 11-29-11, 10:47 PM   #7
lunkerscore
BassFishin.Com Member

You are dead right!, they make a clicking sound that's why I went to the aluminum tube. It's the closest thing I found to mimic that sound. I use 3 #9 shots . I agree the glass and plasic rattles are too sharp and don't mimic that subtle clicking sound they make.
lunkerscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 11:46 PM   #8
bluebasser86

Most of the time I like rattles, even in clear water and pressured waters. Water clarity doesn't matter, real craws always make noise. If I'm not getting bit I will try without also but usually they seem to attract way more fish than they put off.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-11, 07:57 AM   #9
keithdog

To be honest I've never seen where it mattered either way. I have jigs with and withoout and I can't way one produces more than the other. The rattle is so subtle and quiet I don't know that it makes much of an impact. Certainly nothing like a rattle crankbait. The way I see it, a jig bouncing off rock, brush, pier legs, and stirring up the lake floor will cause enough commotion to attract any bass nearby.
Old 11-30-11, 08:43 AM   #10
Tavery5

Most of us have allot of ideas about when and where to use rattles and why we choose to do it in the particular manner we do. I think it is important to understand the way a bass locates it's prey, this short article has some very good information in it, and is worth the few minutes it takes to read it. Should add some fuel to the fire.

http://www.combat-fishing.com/bass_sense.htm
Old 11-30-11, 11:12 AM   #11
joedog

Read it.
Alot of complex information. For those that won't read it heres the layman version included in link:
Past and ongoing experiments have determined that bass:
1. can be as sensitive to sound as all other vertebrates studied,

2. hear primarily in a low-frequency range, from below 40 Hz to about 2500 Hz,

3. are able to discriminate differences in sound intensity and frequency as well as many

other vertebrate animals,

have mechanisms for enhancing the processing of simple sound signals when
listening in noisy environments,
5. can perceptually segregate and recognize signals even when they are heard in a
complex mixture of other signals,

(experiment setup and results from (Reference 1, 1997)).

Bass are also able classify complex sounds with respect to pitch, timbre, and temporal pattern. This latter ability is analogous to a person's ability to recognize the notes and rhythms played by a musical instrument, and to recognize the individual musical instruments playing the same note and rhythm.
There is alot more real good information in link but this really addresses the rattle perspective, IMO. The rest tells us there is alot more going on than sound that motivates a bass to strike or not. Which is very important none the less.
Thanks, my winter hobbie is to try to understand and learn about bass' instincts and perceptions. (so I can confuse lure selection even more) This knowledge you shared is really great in helping to accomplishing that. Thanks again!
So Tavery5, do you use rattles or not. When where and why? (joking)

Last edited by joedog; 11-30-11 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-30-11, 11:24 AM   #12
Tavery5

I do use rattles on ocassion, but I have never had an experience that made me believe they were the difference. I tend to play with color and bulk of skirt material more so than I do with rattles. I think someone else may have mentioned that a jig head bounced on the bottom will produce quite a bit of sound and vibration, I have always kinda subscribed to that theory.
Old 11-30-11, 10:21 PM   #13
Dogmatic

I have jigs with and some without, when I have a choice in purchasing, I buy jigs with rattles. Mainly because I fish a lot of murky water, and definitely have seen the results.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-11, 11:55 PM   #14
pro reel

It would probably be very hard for any of us to say that we know for sure if something like rattles or any one thing is the reason we caught a fish or started catching fish when we used something. I use rattles with jigs and plastics quite frequently. I have seen days when I was sure it made a difference, and I have seen days when one guy didn't use rattles and i did but we both caught about the same amount of fish.
Old 12-01-11, 12:01 AM   #15
kennethdaysale

If you think rattles will help..they probably will. If you think scent helps..it probably will. If you think moon times are important...they probably are. etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
Old 12-01-11, 12:56 PM   #16
joedog

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
If you think rattles will help..they probably will. If you think scent helps..it probably will. If you think moon times are important...they probably are. etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
If I think I'm the best fisherman...(no probably about it) I am!!!
Old 12-01-11, 03:06 PM   #17
CamG

All my jigs have rattles. No changing my mind either.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 07:54 PM   #18
joedog

Default Double Hyjack

First, the rattle users. Do you use add on rattles, single rattle or double and if yes, whats your brand preference?
Next,
pro reel, got my final bass of the year on a Alpha Jig. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-01-11, 10:14 PM   #19
pro reel

Joe, I use clip in rattles that hook to loops in the band. If my jigs don't have rattle bands, then I change them to a custom skirt with my own rattle bands. I also use net bait baby paca craws as my go to trailer. With those, I use a 7mm glass rattle that slides into the nose of the craw. The other rattle that I use sometimes is a double barrle strap type rattle. It has one hole in the middle of a strap. I clear water, I hang them on the hook and I feel that it looks like the legs of a craw. I also use that strap rattle when I fish t riged craws.
Old 12-02-11, 10:07 PM   #20
BassinID

My use of rattles on my jigs is dependent on what I am trying to accomplish and where. In my limited experience punching jigs, I have seen no need or reason to do so. This is mainly because I most often get bit on the initial drop. I would assume that the rattle wouldn't be making any noise here and they are just an extra step to put on the jig. When I am trying to specifically imitate a craw with a football jig on long points I find that they make all the difference. Swimming a jig I never have used them. The only other time I have found rattles to make a significant change in how many bites I get is when stroking a jig. My assumption here is you are getting a reaction bite, and the sound is just one more element to piss off that big post spawn female. Of course with exception to stroking one must also consider if you have crayfish in the water you have chosen to fish. If not, I would assume rattles would put fish off in most situations.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.