Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-02-11, 09:23 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default I think I figured it out?

I almost always use 30lb. braid/8lb.equv. For years I hear guys using 40,50 even heard a guy using 80lb.braid for like frogging and pitching heavy slop or cover. I always thought of it as a tremendous over kill. I mean has anyone really lost a bass due too line breakage using 30lb. braid? But the thicker braid is used because it's just that...thicker. Smaller diameter lines will bind on reel easier than a thicker diameter, right? Do I actually finally understand this concept. The guy using 80 lb. braid probably uses it because he prefers that diameter, not because he thinks he needs a tow rope, right? Wow, " Every once in awhile I even amaze myself!"
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-11, 09:39 AM   #2
bassboogieman

Big part of the reason I do it. I also use 20# braid on spinning gear, anything lighter and I have problems with wind knots and the line looping over the rod tip. The 20# reduces that issue considerably for me.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-11, 09:59 AM   #3
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If i am punching mats with 30# i might as well have yarn tied on lol. In my fishing 30# has no place, too much for spinning gear and not even close to enough for punching and frogging. If i am flipping or pitching to light cover i go 20# fc everytime.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-11, 11:15 AM   #4
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yep, light braid is very thin and will cause a lot of trouble on casting reels.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-11, 02:27 PM   #5
OkobojiEagle

"Yep, light braid is very thin and if not understood and used properly, can cause frustration on casting reels."

Just wanted to correct your post.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-11, 04:34 PM   #6
pig n jig

Thicker braid is easier to see, comes through thick vegetation easier and takes less line to fill the reel spool.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-11, 05:06 PM   #7
lilmule

Well with hefty braid the fish comes out easier as well,hooked up with say 30 lb and lilly pads once it dives to the roots unless you go in and get him (mostly likly not home by then)you cant pull it out generally with say 50 lb you can.
I worm with 10 and 20 pd power pro,30 for flipping wood or edges of mat 45 and up in the mat,as dont want to have to go in it myself.50 pd when you set the hook veggies fly actually cuts some off.As for visual cajin red.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-11, 11:45 PM   #8
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
"Yep, light braid is very thin and if not understood and used properly, can cause frustration on casting reels."

Just wanted to correct your post.

oe
Tomato tomato. It will cause a lot of trouble on casting reels for most users. Do you like that statement better?
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-11, 11:51 PM   #9
merc1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Thicker braid is easier to see, comes through thick vegetation easier and takes less line to fill the reel spool.
yopu need to take into account the line diameter into the weights of what you are using. thinner diameted with say something that weight 1/4 oz will sink faster than when you put it on a line of bigger diameter. depth and speed are the two main factor in getting a fish to strike. got to be at the right depth and the right speed.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 07:04 AM   #10
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1997 View Post
yopu need to take into account the line diameter into the weights of what you are using. thinner diameted with say something that weight 1/4 oz will sink faster than when you put it on a line of bigger diameter. depth and speed are the two main factor in getting a fish to strike. got to be at the right depth and the right speed.
You are correct.I should have taken the time to type when I use braid.

When I use 50 lb. braid,I'll be throwing into the thickest of cover in specific target areas.I never use under a 1/2 oz. jig and up to 1 1/2 oz jig weight if needed.Speed is primarily the the main factor since it is a reaction bite presentation.I would not fish a 1/4 oz. jig.If I were to fish outside of thick cover,I go to a tube bait instead.It is more versatile than a rubber skirted jig.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.