Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-08, 09:22 PM   #1
dukiller15
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Max 4 Camo Bass Boat Project

Hey I'm new to this site, but I thought I'd post my current project. I found a 1987 venture bass boat with a 90 horse Evinrude that was pretty beat up but I got it pretty cheap.

I tried refinishing the Paint but it took forever and still was beat up so I decided to redo the whole thing.

Since I'm an avid waterfowl hunter I decided to redo it in max 4 camo clad. I also extended the front casting deck, installed new gauges, new carpet, new cabelas switches, new seats, new trolling motor, and the list goes on! Heres some pics of the progress I'll keep posting them as I work on it. Let me know what Ya'll think!

(SUB FRAME FOR FRONT DECK)

DECK built with some camoclad

I added a new windshield I found on Ebay that went to a newer style boat.

The trailer is getting Herculined soon also

Little exaggerated but cool all the same

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress!
dukiller15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 09:31 PM   #2
bothomas
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Smile

very very nice. I am way impressed. takes a lot of vision to take a boat where you started to where you already are. welcome to the forum and keep us posted with pics. Since you enjoy working on boats so much maybe you should open a business detailing and refurbishing boats!
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 10:19 PM   #3
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like it. Hell, you could even hide from the law with that.
Old 05-15-08, 10:23 PM   #4
brushhog

Congratulations on the coolest first post ever... That is one really excellent project!
Old 05-15-08, 11:53 PM   #5
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

See its people like you that make me waste money - gotta get some camoclad now.
Old 05-16-08, 08:24 AM   #6
Captmikestarrett

OK I have to ask .... must be that lil devil in me that makes me ask this...

Does the engine work?

Very cool looking trailer!!! Why do you have that brush pile on it?

Fun aside it looks good..

Capt Mike
Old 05-16-08, 03:38 PM   #7
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

that is very cool indeed. only thing is would be hard to manuever in the flooded timber going after ol green head

(((((( look at my location ))))))
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 03:57 PM   #8
Nonpoint
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Nonpoint

That is a sweet boat....better watch out where you're fishing/hunting, other boats might not see you :P
Nonpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 04:58 PM   #9
dukiller15
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, to answer all of your questions, the motor runs great after I spent 500 on the lower unit, and for the green heads I have a Grizzly 1654 with a 2005 Mud Buddy 35HD. It's a fun boat, It'll push 50 so I'm not complaining. Thanks for the compliments next week I'll post more pictures, I'm working on it a bunch this weekend.
Old 05-16-08, 06:16 PM   #10
zooker

as a rabid water fowler i got to say very cool... i am waiting till 1fastlaser -a venture owner- see this..lol....

zooker
Old 05-16-08, 06:20 PM   #11
bamabassman

great looking boat. love the paint job. not into camo, but i like what you have done. alot of thought is going inot that project. and it is showing. and welcome to the house o nuts. feed the baitmonkey, and he'll make you a slave to him, like the rest of us, lmao.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-08, 02:18 PM   #12
1FASTLASER

Well I'll be damned. That is the BEST project and most well thought out scheme I beleive that I have seen. EXCELLENT WORK. I would love to get my hands on that boat. I am sure she would make alot of people sit up and take notice after getting my grubby hands on the motor and getting her setup to run. That boat along wth its bigger brothers.....The V18 and the V19 where some of venture's finest boats. They where the last models built and wish they where still there. I use to run a V18 with a pretty hot 175 Mariner that would get up and dance. My hats off to ya bud.
Old 05-19-08, 06:17 PM   #13
dukiller15
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I got a good days work in today. I'm fortunate enough to be done with school for the summer so I can work/ fish every day. I installed the trolling motor, front fish finder, driver fish finder and carpeted alot! Hope you like.

Heres with todays work done. Missing two front hatches that I'm still carpeting.

View from the front

I crappie fish alot so I tried to imitate the crappie boats by adding a minnow well. I also figured if I wasn't using it for minnows I could use it as a garbage bin. This was my first time redoing carpet and it's not exactly professional, but I did the best I could.

Heres with the hatch down.

SO HERES MY TO DO LIST

Finish carpeting the boat.

Install new switch panel. The one on the left is getting thrown out and replaced with cabelas switch panel. You can see the gauges are mounted but not hooked up. I'm not to good with the wiring so I'm procrastinating doing it! Which brings me to the rats nest in the back!

The guy who had this before me made a huge mess of this. My plans are to run all wires to a power block and add a on board charger. The problem is I'm kind of retarded when it comes to wiring so you guys will have to lend your expertise. And lastly before it goes in I'm going to herculine the trailer.

Well thats all I have for now but I'll be workin on it all week so I'll keep posting pics. Let me know what Ya'll think.
Old 05-19-08, 06:45 PM   #14
bamabassman

hey, let me know how that herculiner does. thinking about doing my truck bed with it. and looking good buddy!!!
Old 05-19-08, 07:25 PM   #15
zooker

uhhh wiring dats my thing right der.. great idea using a poower fuse block btw..

zooker
Old 05-19-08, 08:59 PM   #16
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you should be happy with it. a bud of mine did the inside of his jeep cj and it turned out great. be sure you clean everything like you are supposed to
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 05:35 AM   #17
1FASTLASER

I am actually jeaulous of the boat. That thing looks VERY well. The idea never crossed my mind but gotta hand it to ya my friend. YOU HAVE DONE A HELLUVA NICE JOB
Old 05-20-08, 10:40 AM   #18
WTL

Yea, I'm jealous too - jealous enough that I'm pricing some of that camo for my own boat even though I already just painted it.
Old 05-20-08, 12:52 PM   #19
dukiller15
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the compliments! The camo clad is definitely a different solution to painting. I found mine online for $260 and it covered pretty much the entire boat. It comes in sections of 4x5 sheets and you cut it to fit. Its not the easiest to install however. As dorky as it sounds I had my mom help me because she wall papers and is crafty with that stuff and it definitely helped. Patience was definitely the key! It's not a professional job, but for what I wanted I thought it turned out good. I've used the herculiner on my hunting boat so I know I'll be pleased with the outcome I just have to get around to doing it. I'm going to try to finish the whole project by this weekend and hopefully post the finished pictures.
Old 05-20-08, 01:39 PM   #20
Wishing2BFishing

dukiller, the camoclad job is impressive. I don't see any creases or wrinkles. Seems like you made the right decision having your mom help with that part of the project. Is she any good with the wiring? I don't blame you for putting that off.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 03:26 PM   #21
dukiller15
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Max 4 Camo Bass boat Project

My mom did help a lot, but just another set of hands and brain always help! Luckily my dad is an electrician so he's going to help me work on the wiring, but he lives 4 hours away so finding time to do it is kind of a problem. The good thing about the camo clad is it's forgiving as far as matching up the pattern. There are a coupe of small wrinkles and botched areas but if you stand back a foot or two the camo hides it so thats helpful. I did have a question that came up today though. Can you run two transducers at the back of the boat. Ones a humminbird piranha, and the other is a humminbird 535. If anyone could help that would be great.
Old 05-22-08, 05:19 AM   #22
1FASTLASER

Yes you can run 2 ducers back there but not simulatenously. The interference between the 2 will drive ya nuts. I would suggest that you run one to the front so when ya chasing bass that you have a unit up front.
Old 05-23-08, 03:59 PM   #23
dukiller15
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I got some more work done today. I'm hopin by next week I'll be able to get her out. I finished camoing the console and added one of my favorite sayings(I had to sensor part but you get the Idea) I also finished carpeting the whole front deck and floor and also added Cabelas marine lights which look awesome at night!! So hopefully my next post will be finished pictures. Let me know what you think!

(Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone)
Old 05-23-08, 04:43 PM   #24
bamabassman

HAHAHAAHAHA, LOVE IT!!!!! the little woman don't, but i do, hahahahaha. sometimes that is right ya know. really great idea with the little lights too. never would have thought of that. cool..gonna see about putting some on the ol pontoon i got. thanks, you gave me an idea that will really look good i think.
Old 05-24-08, 08:13 AM   #25
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

wow looks good.. That boat looks the same as mine as far as the body is set up and the way the front comes around. My dad suggests me building mine like yours and having a closed in bottom for storage and stand on the top of a platform.
MrPhotographer06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.