Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-23-11, 11:00 PM   #1
VadneyCustomRods
BassFishin.Com Member

Default What is the ideal buzzbait rod?

Title says it all. I generally throw 1/2oz double blade buzz baits in and around cover.
Action?
Length?
Line rating?
VadneyCustomRods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 11:41 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i like a stiff rod for buzzbaits. better hook ups for me. brand? well i am one of those who doesn't have a lot of money but i was blessed enough to recieve a fritz micro guided rod for this. it is 7 ft. other wise i yank out my lightening rod heavy action. very stiff and great in my opion for buzzbaits. line weight? well it depends on the structure for me. either 12-14# mono or braid in 30#. i fish a lot of grass,lol. braid works great in the 'gaotr vines" on g'ville.
Old 04-24-11, 01:33 AM   #3
VadneyCustomRods
BassFishin.Com Member

I am getting more serious into buzzbaits and I was thinking that a slower rod would improve hookup ratios because it would slow down me pulling the bait away from the fish; this is kind of why I made this thread. I was tossing 'em today on my crankbait rod and I only had one blowup and I had him on for a second but he came off. Am I wrong in this thinking about a slower rod improving hookup ratios?
Old 04-24-11, 01:49 AM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am with you Vadney. I would rather have a Med-Mod for smaller and a MH-Mod for bigger buzzbaits. I asked a question a while back on another forum about a good buzzbait blank and a lot of guys pointed towards a fiberglass blank. I also like my spinnerbaits on the same set up.
I had a trip a few weeks ago though and I caught several fish on a BB. But the fish were sucking it under without much of a hint of a strike in the chop. It helped alot from keeping from crossing their eyes with hammer hookset you tend to react with on a calm surface. I was letting the fish load the rod like a crank or jerkbait then just sweeping the rod. Sharps hooks will help here too. It convinced me that I will stick with a Mod - Mod Fast for my buzz and spinner baits.
Old 04-24-11, 04:51 AM   #5
VadneyCustomRods
BassFishin.Com Member

This is the blank that I used to build up my crankbait rod that I was throwing buzzbaits on today:

Rainshadow graphite:
CB70MH M 7'0" 10-20lb. 3/8 - 1 oz. Mod-Fast large crankbaits & topwaters / 1/2oz rattletraps Rattlin raps $49.62
Old 04-24-11, 07:47 AM   #6
bamabassman

ok you two.....now y'll got me thinking i got the wrong action rod. think this is why i miss so many? medium huh? fast tip? just plain medium? see i got one and i am thinking on what you posted garey. hmmmm, i'll switch and see what happens.

another reason i love this site, great advise from fellow friends. thanks guys.
Old 04-24-11, 09:01 AM   #7
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I throw all my buzzbaits on a 7' MH, MF rod. I have for at least 10 years. The only time I use something different is when I'm throwing 1/4 or 1/8 oz baits - then I opt for a 6'6" M, MF.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-11, 09:47 AM   #8
gottafish
BassFishin.Com Member

Been throwing buzzbaits for many years and I use a MH fast action rod. Really think of no different than throwing a single hook bait except for it is on top. You need a good hookset to drive the hook into the jaw. The key to buzz bait is timing and feel. Wait till you feel the fish then set the hook. Also the reason I like a MH fast action rod is that sometimes the strike is a good distance away and you need that stiffness to get a good hookset. Also buzzbaits are big fish baits generally so i would rather fight a big fish on a MH than a Medium rod. The only problem I have with a buzzbait is that it is to addicting and i sometimes throw it more than I probably should.
Old 04-24-11, 10:09 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Buzzbaits are one of those baits I just throw on whatever rod I've got available. I've thrown tiny buzzbaits on a 7' M/M crankbait rod, but usually throw regular sized ones on a 7' M/F or heavy ones on a 6'6" MH/F. Kinda like spinnerbaits, there isn't really a wrong rod for it, IMO.

BB
Old 04-24-11, 12:14 PM   #10
Bassboss

I'm more with bama on this one. I've fished buzz baits on M action rods, and MH and H action rods. I think I'm favorite was the MH, it was a stiff MH, so more like a MHH if that makes sense. Helps pull the bass outa them gator vines he was talkin about! I had no problem with hook sets after some time. You have to train your self not to cross there eyes as soon as they blow up, but with time I think the stiffer rod will definitely help with hook ups. IMO the only reason to go with a M is to get a longer cast, and it's fine if you're not fishing thick stuff. 6'6" is good around closer corners and when you're only making close casts to specific areas. Other wise a 7' rod will do you better, you can get a better hook set, and you'll have more control over the fish.
Old 04-24-11, 12:33 PM   #11
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

In my opinion what it really comes down to is having a rod with enough tip to get a good hook-set at the distance you are casting. I prefer a longer rod with with enough power and action to get a good hook-set when you are 30 yards out on mono line. You need a rod that will move a good amount of line on the hook-set so I prefer rods around 7ft, you also need one with enough power and action to compensate for the stretch in the line, and flex in the tip, you also need to be able to drive a single hook into a gill plate or roof of the mouth. I like a 7ft MH F for this technique with the larger baits.
Old 04-24-11, 01:12 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
In my opinion what it really comes down to is having a rod with enough tip to get a good hook-set at the distance you are casting. I prefer a longer rod with with enough power and action to get a good hook-set when you are 30 yards out on mono line. You need a rod that will move a good amount of line on the hook-set so I prefer rods around 7ft, you also need one with enough power and action to compensate for the stretch in the line, and flex in the tip, you also need to be able to drive a single hook into a gill plate or roof of the mouth. I like a 7ft MH F for this technique with the larger baits.
Well said!

I throw my buzzbaits on 7' MH rods with a fairly fast tip. Bubba makes a good point about a slower tip keeping you from pulling the bait out of the mouth of the fish by setting the hook too soon, but I would rather have plenty of power in the rod and just make myself hesitate before setting the hook. I also throw buzzbaits on fairly heavy line as well, 17lb or heavier for mono and 50lb for braid. I really don't like throwing buzzbaits on braid if I don't have to because that is where I have issues with pulling the bait away from fish when they bite it because the line has zero stretch and is very sensitive so you feel the fish much sooner. However there are times where I am throwing a buzzbait in places that leave me no choice but to use braid. I really feel like 17lb-20lb mono is ideal for a buzzbait because it allows for a long cast but also won't stretch as much when you set the hook because you will have to pull harder to stretch 17lb mono than you have to pull to stretch 10lb mono. So in my opinion a fairly stiff rod and heavy mono is an ideal setup for buzzbaits.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-11, 06:48 PM   #13
VadneyCustomRods
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm still confused haha.... everyone here is making great points that all make sense. I fish braid strictly so I was thinking that a softer rod would help, but after thinking more about that fish I lost, I just don't think I got a good hook set into him because of the soft rod. The buzzbaits I fish are 1/2oz 99% of the time (since I'm a bank fisherman, distance is important hence why I favor a heavier bait) and they come with a heavier gauge hook, definitely heavier than the ones on most crankbaits.

Iono... I think I may try throwin 'em on a different rod and see what happens.
Old 04-24-11, 08:31 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadneyCustomRods View Post
I'm still confused haha.... everyone here is making great points that all make sense. I fish braid strictly so I was thinking that a softer rod would help, but after thinking more about that fish I lost, I just don't think I got a good hook set into him because of the soft rod. The buzzbaits I fish are 1/2oz 99% of the time (since I'm a bank fisherman, distance is important hence why I favor a heavier bait) and they come with a heavier gauge hook, definitely heavier than the ones on most crankbaits.

Iono... I think I may try throwin 'em on a different rod and see what happens.
In my opinion it's easier to ease up on a hookset or loosen your drag a little to allow for a stiffer rod with braid than it is to set the hook harder.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.