Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-28-11, 12:34 PM   #26
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The Shimano braking design is very user friendly. It's about as close as you can get to set it & forget it.

IMO $250-$300 is the point of diminishing returns for baitcast reels.
Old 11-28-11, 03:44 PM   #27
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
On all of the BC reels that I am familiar with there are a maximum of 3 bearings that effect casting.
The Abu Ambassador C series reels don't have a disengaging level wind. All of the bearings and bushings connecting the level wind and spool affect their casting. Each of the models (c3, c4 & c5) incrementally replaces one bushing with a bearing. A c series reel maxed out with bearings will have a bearing on both ends of the spool, a bearing on both ends of the worm gear and a bearing supported side plate cog. The bearing supported side plate cog is an after market enhancement.

After I tricked out one of my c3's to the max I found the mass of the spool was too great to control with only the two brake blocks this reel was fitted with (newer models now have 6 brake blocks and an expensive lighter whiffle spool is available). I found I needed to under fill the spool and use a heavier oil in the bearings to give me the needed braking.

All of a reel's parts should work to maximize the reel's efficiency not merely increase bearing counts, lower weight or increase smoothness.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 06:21 PM   #28
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
The Abu Ambassador C series reels don't have a disengaging level wind. All of the bearings and bushings connecting the level wind and spool affect their casting. Each of the models (c3, c4 & c5) incrementally replaces one bushing with a bearing. A c series reel maxed out with bearings will have a bearing on both ends of the spool, a bearing on both ends of the worm gear and a bearing supported side plate cog. The bearing supported side plate cog is an after market enhancement.

After I tricked out one of my c3's to the max I found the mass of the spool was too great to control with only the two brake blocks this reel was fitted with (newer models now have 6 brake blocks and an expensive lighter whiffle spool is available). I found I needed to under fill the spool and use a heavier oil in the bearings to give me the needed braking.

All of a reel's parts should work to maximize the reel's efficiency not merely increase bearing counts, lower weight or increase smoothness.

oe
Very true, round reels have a quite different configuration, my post was meant to address low profile BC's.
Old 11-29-11, 03:05 AM   #29
Infidel
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Thanks, bearing count always confused me. Is it also true that quality is really important. I was told once by a older gentleman who I quess was into the reel manufacture and design business, that 4 or 5 high quality bearings is sufficient. This true? When reel shoping how do you find out if they use quality bearings or cheap bearings? Or for that matter where they placed them. I've read alot of reel reviews and I never recall anyone comparing the placement of bearings. I would think this would rank high in a review. You rarely even hear them comment on bearing quality. I find this information very helpfull and again I thank you.
I understand that this is Shimano's argument. The new Curado has 5 bearings including 4 shielded stainless steel ball bearings plus a roller clutch bearing. Verses the 7 bearings; 1 S A-RB BB, 5 shielded stainless steel BB, and 1 A-RB roller clutch bearing in the previous version and it's $20 less because of the fewer bearings.
Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 06:10 AM   #30
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It is not correct to say that a plastic framed reel is always going to be bad either.I use 2 old Team Daiwa TD2 reels for pitching jigs.They have a plastic frame but are rock solid performers.I used the TD1's until I pitched with a TD2.The wider spooled TD2 pitches jigs farther because the weight of the spool reduces the brake settings of the reel.The spool start up is slower and so there is no professional over runs or backlashes. I thumb the spool and slightly lift the rod tip to stop the momentum of the jig as it is about to enter the water surface, therefore I have very little spool tension control setting and it allows the jig tofall more freely and naturally through the water colum.The TD2 is plastic framed but it doesn't matter to me,they work flawlessly.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 10:44 AM   #31
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post

IMO $250-$300 is the point of diminishing returns for baitcast reels.
So the Megabass TopazL @ $959 ten+1 bearings, isn't the swimbait reel for me...maybe I'll just get three Calcuttas. LOL

Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.