Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-12, 03:28 PM   #1
jshaw14
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Alabama rig rod and reel?

Any suggestions? Looking at the Kistler "Umbrella Rig Special". Having a hard time dropping $299 for technique specific rod that couldn't be used for anything else. Also, can you get by with any reel or do you have to have a large capacity reel like the Curado 300. All comments and suggestions appreciated.
jshaw14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12, 04:02 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Most are using jig or flippin sticks,nothing fancy really needed if you want more then a normal swimbait rod under 100 bucks.I use a normal reel diawa cheapie 6/4/1 but dont add leadheads to each I fish with just the center weight and a three rig hooked with either a screwlock or frog hook or just a wide gap no weight on each one ,some do.I have no trouble fishing from top to ten ft and feels like a 1 oz spinnerbait.Mr money will tug a tad more on the rod than a slimmer swim bait like a kietech 3.8-4.8
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12, 05:40 PM   #3
bassboogieman

I would not drop a big chunk of my money on a rod specifically for tossing an A-rig. I wouldn't throw one anyway as they are illegal in my state, but if I did I'd buy something in a H with a lenght of 7'+ and match it with a reel of your choice with a ratio around 5.4:1. No need to drop the money for a high end Kistler (I have 20 of his rods, so I'm not bashing them). An umbrella rig requires a stout rod capable of tossing the weight and handling the drag of the rig itself, sensitivity of the rod really doesn't come into the picture, IMO. Save your money for a premium rod (like Kistler) when the benifit of it's sensitivity can really be put to use. If you really want a Kistler, then see if you can find an Argon 7'5" H (if you're throwing an A-rig w/5 lures) http://www.ebay.com/itm/KISTLER-ARGO...item35b913d701. If you're going to slim the rig down to 3 lures check the Argon 7'9" MH crankbait rod, I think that would handle the rig using less than the maximum number of 5 lures. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KISTLER-ARGO...item4cfe05b5ba Either rod can be had for around $100 and I've purchased from this seller - he is top shelf.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12, 09:01 PM   #4
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Double duty Mattlures(Reaction Strike) H 7'11" telescopic swimbait rod and Cardiff 301. $140.

Last edited by Dogmatic; 01-30-12 at 11:31 PM.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12, 09:50 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have a couple a-rigs and gonna try em out myself. from what i have read might need a deep sea rod for this thing, lol. i'm gonna use a heavy action rod and 5:2.1 reel for it. see what that does. i figure the slower cranking reel should keep it down better in the water than a higher speed reel.
Old 01-30-12, 09:56 PM   #6
bassboogieman

FIVE DINKS AT ONCE - I can't wait for pictures..................
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12, 09:59 PM   #7
bamabassman

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! you're probably right boogieman. but hey, i'll get my numbers up won't i?
Old 01-30-12, 10:02 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
five dinks at once - i can't wait for pictures..................
hahahahahahahaha
Old 01-30-12, 10:10 PM   #9
TN_Bassin

Well you go into the woods and find the thickest oak branch you can wield... then you set some guides on it... and viola you have an a-rig rod...

Seriously though, I've been throwing it on a 7'11" H-mod/fast Citrus stick and it is extremely bulky. It casts ok on this rod but you almost need an XH XF rod for this rig.

Also... when casting... hold on with two hands. If you backlash this bad enough to stop it mid cast it will jerk the rod out of your hand
Old 01-31-12, 10:56 AM   #10
jshaw14
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 01-31-12, 02:08 PM   #11
screwballl

Most of what I have seen about it carries recommendations of any regular MH rod with a bit more firm tip in the 7' to 7'6" range, and tends to work better with a baitcaster. If you use a heavier spinning reel, put a heavier duty swivel on the line tie as well. The main reason they suggest the 7 to 7.5 ft range is mostly because the longer rods have too soft of a tip and getting 2 fish hitting it or it getting caught in weeds just runs too big of a risk for breaking a rod that is better suited for other purposes.
Some are also suggesting 50-100lb. braid if you plan to use higher quality lures with it, lesser chance of losing 3-6 lures at once.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 04:38 PM   #12
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'd lean towards a swimbait rod rated to handle the total weight of the rig you want to throw.
Old 01-31-12, 05:15 PM   #13
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
I'd lean towards a swimbait rod rated to handle the total weight of the rig you want to throw.
X2
One of the main reasons people complain about how worn out they are after a day of throwing the A-rig is they are using a flipping stick. Use a swimbait rod meant for throwing 2oz+ baits and you will have better luck. Use the right tool for the job.
Old 02-01-12, 10:16 PM   #14
jshaw14
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Swimbaits

My other problem is figuring out what swimbait to use.
Old 02-02-12, 02:12 PM   #15
Briery Creek Bomber
BassFishin.Com Member

I've casted ARs with 4 different set ups, by far I prefer:

- 6'6'' ugly stick (cheap, but as good as any expensive rod I've seen)
- baitcast reel w/ 50 lb braid with mono backing (about 10-12 turns at least). The mono backing will prevent the braid from "digging" in and allow for long, rat's nest free casts. I've got seveal baitcasters, you don't need an expensive one - just need to know how to adjust the tension.

As far as bait goes, try super flukes - creates a nice little bait fish cluster that gets all kinds of action. I have yet to land multiple fish on one cast, but it is one of my go to presentations.

Avoid baits w/ exposed hooks unless you want / can afford to get the AR hung up on structure / cover fairly often.
Briery Creek Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 03:46 PM   #16
wallywallace

i still have never got into the A-rig yet

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.