Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-09, 10:28 PM   #1
S4il
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Pitch'N & Flip'N Reel, Help?

I have found my reel, Please ignore this first post.

http://www.tackletour.com/images2/pi...7reelspf12.jpg

Its my new all around reel, i'm getting 3 of them.

Last edited by S4il; 04-05-09 at 11:28 PM.
S4il is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 10:39 PM   #2
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you cant go wrong with a revo...ive got a revo s on my crankbait rod and i love it.

the next reel i buy will probably be another revo s or revo sx to put on a jig rod.

my flippin and pitchin rod/reel right now is a pflueger supreme on a 7' abu garcia rod....not really made for flippin jigs, but i love it for flippin lizards and worms in cypresses and pretty much any other kind of cover.
Old 04-05-09, 10:42 PM   #3
S4il

the spinning reel? pflueger supreme8035MG?

if thats the one, i got the same exact reel, for lighter tackle, like what u said lizards, and trick worms, etc....
Old 04-05-09, 10:43 PM   #4
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ardent Flip-N-Pitch reel should cover it: http://www.ardentoutdoors.com/produc....asp?prodId=52
I don't think that monster drag will slip.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 10:50 PM   #5
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The Shimano Castaic (named for a famed lake in Californicate) has an essy to use flip/pitch switch that is ambidextrous...useful for L's or R's.
I can't guarantee that it will lock the drag completely, nor can I do so for any other reel. If you must have a reel that you can absolutely prevent giving ANY line with, seek out one of the old (1980s) Ambassadeur 5000s or 4000s with a "D" suffix. They were direct drive reels but DID free-spool to cast and they DID have a drag that was in the same location but was adjusted with a knob rather than a star. If you held the handle stationary during a fight, or when trying to wrench a snagged lure free, the spool would not budge.
Downside(s): Overweight, like all the round Ambys; Round, so that you won't want; Max retrieve was 5:1 or maybe 4.7:1.
I think you can still buy Castaics and enjoy. I have one and it is smooth, very free-casting and weighs under nine ounces (or I wouldn't have it.);
A great all-around reel.
They are less than 200 bux, BTW.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 11:08 PM   #6
Love of the Sport

When i'm fishing jigs and want a solid hookup I just keep my drag set to max and press on the spool real hard with my thumb while I jerk.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 11:25 PM   #7
S4il

Yea i don't wanna have to thumb my spool when i set the hook your thumb as the most power out of your other fingers, and i need that to really generate some strong hook sets, cause these fish are under some thick stuff, Like CHEESE on a pizza.

UPDATE i just tested out my Pflueger Patriarch down stairs on a 100 lb weight bar, using 12 lb floro line, cause i orginally had it on my jerkbait/crank bait rod. while having the line tied tightly to the weight bar (it was going anywhere) i made 2 attempts to see how it would perfrom, if it was a bass on the end of the line.

With the drag halfway maxed i set the hook =it slipped,

but not much....(read on)

I than maxed the star drag, and set the hook.

I broke the line!!!!!!

I have found me reel, ill just get another one for 200.00, makes sense to have 2 of the same reels, one on my jerkbait/topwater bass mojo rod, and the other on my 7ft flip'N stick.

here is the reel im talking about if anyone wants to know.

http://www.tackletour.com/images2/pi...7reelspf12.jpg

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.