Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-10, 01:22 AM   #1
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Wire leaders with crankbaits

I am wondering if alot people have success using wire leaders with their crankbaits? I was fishing today and after about the 5th different crankbait I was starting to think it would be easier to just use a leader and clip on the dang bait. I like tying baits and stuff straight to my line because I think the fish can see the leader and get spooked. Is this true?
FishinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 01:58 AM   #2
Garry2rs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Why are you talking about wire leaders?

Are you in a pike or musky area?

Small snaps or snap swivels will allow you to change baits quickly.

The down side is if they are small/light enough not to effect the bait, they are also very weak...

I always prefer to tie directly to the hook or lure.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 08:25 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'm assuming since he's in the Chicago area, there are pike and/or musky.

However, I wouldn't use a leader. I'd go with the smallest duo-lock snap you feel comfortable using.

Duo-lock snap:

You can probably get them much cheaper at www.jannsnetcraft.com. I get mine from them (I live 15 min. from the store). I checked, you get 12 for $1.99 at TW, and 25 for $2.39 at Netcraft).

I'd stay away from swivels though, like Garry2rs said, they can mess with the action of the crankbait.

BB
Old 09-12-10, 08:53 AM   #4
Dave63

I use a snap, like the one above or a Norman's speed clip. Never tried an actual steel leader, yet. I might later in the year when I try for a Tiger Musky.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 09:16 AM   #5
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I bought my first wire leaders teh other day so i can go target Musky on the Green River... cant wait...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 02:09 PM   #6
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2rs View Post
Why are you talking about wire leaders?

Are you in a pike or musky area?

Small snaps or snap swivels will allow you to change baits quickly.

The down side is if they are small/light enough not to effect the bait, they are also very weak...

I always prefer to tie directly to the hook or lure.
Garry2R's
First of all there no reason to be a jerk. gary with two r's. I was not aware you can buy just the clips. All I have are clips with leaders.
Old 09-12-10, 02:37 PM   #7
bassboogieman

I don't believe HE (J2R's) was being a jerk, that's my job. You'll notice the title of this site is BassFishing.Com, so most of us are thinking along the lines of bass fishing - Excuse us. Not many would even think of using wire leaders while bass fishing, UNLESS as he said, we have to contend with "tooty critters" in the same water. As a "newbie" your skin is obvioulsy a little thin, so we'll work on toughening you up just a little. This is a great site, so welcome. Ask all the questions you want, there is a wealth of information to be shared. You'll surely get your share of pokes if you take offense so easily, so lighten up and enjoy the give and take. OH, and I also highly recommend the Norman speed clips, and I remove the split ring.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 09-13-10 at 11:42 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 09:20 AM   #8
gonefishin3

My dad uses the swivels... i keep tryin to break him from that habbit i just tie a quick palamar
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 07:25 PM   #9
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I don't believe HE (J2R's) was being a jerk, that's my job. You'll notice the title of this site is BassFishing.Com, so most of us are thinking along the lines of bass fishing - Excuse us. Not many would even think of using wire leaders while bass fishing, UNLESS as he said, we have to contend with "tooty critters" in the same water. As a "newbie" your skin is obvioulsy a little thin, so we'll work on toughening you up just a little. This is a great site, so welcome. Ask all the questions you want, there is a wealth of information to be shared. You'll surely get your share of pokes if you take offense so easily, so lighten up and enjoy the give and take. OH, and I also highly recommend the Norman speed clips, and I remove the split ring.
Why not let gary speak for himself. I aint one to be pushed around and even though you try to come off as being all nicy nice, I still detect a little sarcasm in your post also. So Excuse me for talking about a wire leader. It's not like its absolutely unheard of to use one for Christ sake. Gary could have said something like "I don't recomend a wire leader they are generally for musky and pike." Rather than asking why I'm talking about something. It just seemed like he was being a jerk. And I like to call people out when they strike a cord. And aside from that I'm a really nice guy and I don't deserve the sarcasm.

Last edited by FishinFreak; 09-13-10 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-13-10, 07:42 PM   #10
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinFreak View Post
Why not let gary speak for himself. I aint one to be pushed around and even though you try to come off as being all nicy nice, I still detect a little sarcasm in your post also. So Excuse me for talking about a wire leader. It's not like its absolutely unheard of to use one for Christ sake. Gary could have said something like "I don't recomend a wire leader they are generally for musky and pike." Rather than asking why I'm talking about something. It just seemed like he was being a jerk. And I like to call people out when they strike a cord. And aside from that I'm a really nice guy and I don't deserve the sarcasm.
Relax...breath deep....Wooosaw.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 07:44 PM   #11
Marty

I agree, you're too thin-skinned and Garry wasn't being a jerk and nobody's trying to "push you around." Your experience here will be more enjoyable after that chip comes off your shoulder.

Quote:
I am wondering if alot people have success using wire leaders with their crankbaits? I was fishing today and after about the 5th different crankbait I was starting to think it would be easier to just use a leader and clip on the dang bait. I like tying baits and stuff straight to my line because I think the fish can see the leader and get spooked. Is this true?
I'm sure that fish can see the leader, but I don't think they usually get spooked. I've used leaders frequently on crankbaits and a variety of other lures because I've done loads of fishing in pike and pickerel waters. I've never been able to detect any evidence that leaders deter bites, especially since I use thin leaders that range from 12-18# test.

When not using leaders, I do use a small duolock snap as BigBassin144 illustrated.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 11:25 AM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Ruh roh, scoot over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MH900437982.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	5785
Old 09-14-10, 12:17 PM   #13
Ground Pounder

Duo-lock clip all the way for me. Now, I'm spooked by all the talk of clips killing the action of the crankbait, so I started doing this to get the best of both worlds:

Take all the cranks you expect to use, and tie a 12" leader of flourocarbon directly to the eye of each one. Now, on the other end of the leader, tie as small a perfection loop as you can tie (think about half the size of a dime). I ensure this knot is strong by dabbing just a little super glue afterwards.

Rig up your crankbait pole with a duolock clip, and you can clip the perfection loop on your leader directly onto the mainline of your rig. This way, you've got the speed of the clip, with the true-running action of the direct-tie to the crankbait.

Note - I've found this setup is more prone to hook foul-ups on casting, but that's the price you pay for speed.
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 02:43 PM   #14
dave0943

I hate to use steel leaders but once in a while I have to when fishing the mine lakes in fall. There are some large bass and Tiger Musky in the mix. I don't think it deters the bite but the lures just feel a little different. Any other time I need fast changes, the others have given some great alternatives. By the way, I used to live in Illinois, Fox Lake, and there are huge Northerns thru out the Suburban Lakes. Some fine quarry fishing as well.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 04:00 PM   #15
bassinbob

Have to use steel leaders with horny toads on one lake I fish. Northern pike love horny toads.
Old 09-15-10, 02:03 AM   #16
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0943 View Post
I hate to use steel leaders but once in a while I have to when fishing the mine lakes in fall. There are some large bass and Tiger Musky in the mix. I don't think it deters the bite but the lures just feel a little different. Any other time I need fast changes, the others have given some great alternatives. By the way, I used to live in Illinois, Fox Lake, and there are huge Northerns thru out the Suburban Lakes. Some fine quarry fishing as well.
Dave
I used to fish at Fox Lake all the time. Since i moved into the city I don't like traveling out there anymore. I found a nice little spot in Glenview which is about as far as I'm willing to go these days. It has bass and walleye. I also fish lake Michigan. I've been to deep quarry lake and bass lake a few times. All good fishing spots.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.