Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-09, 07:46 PM   #1
Wags
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Wags Send a message via Yahoo to Wags
Default Tube jigs and Carolina questions....

I have had a terrible fall season so far, it has been brought to my attention to try a couple of things that I am not that comfortable with, but at this point, I will try anything!!!

1. Tubes on a 60 degree tube jig. any colors or size in particular?? Do you put the tube on the jig before or after you tie the jig on. Presentations??? Depths?? Tube sizes??

2 Carolina rigs. How long should the line to the lure be?? Should I use a floating worm to get it off the bottom? Presentation??? Lure style , color, and size??? Depths?

3. Traditional jigs. Same questions as above.

4. Flea flicker wacky worm jig.. ditto on questions

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!!
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 08:51 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

1. Not real big on tube fishing, but definately put the jig in the tube before tying it on. I use 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigs and normally 3.5" tubes. For smallies, white is a good color, and so is any goby color. For LM, natural colors, just like worms: watermelon, GP, etc. You can hop, drag, or crawl them across the bottom.

2. C-rig. Again, not real big on fishing this, but 2-3' is a good leader length. A lot of pros use 3/4 to 1-1/4 oz weights, but I prefer a bit smaller, usually 1/2 oz unless I'm fishing pretty shallow, then I'll go 3/8. I like to use 2 tungsten weight or a tungsten weight and a Tru Tungsten Force Bead. I think two 1/4 oz weights makes more noise than a 1/2 and a force bead. You can pretty much use anything for bait, but lizards are pretty popular. I wouldn't worry about floating worms, but if you want to you can use them. You can work this about like a regular t-rig, but I think the most popular way, and the way I prefer, is to drag it across the bottom by sweeping my rod to the side.

3. Again, not a real good jig fisherman... lol, I'm starting to see a pattern here. Anyways, 3/8 oz is my favorite weight, but I'll switch from 1/4-1/2 when the need presents itself. Black and Blue is always a good color, but watermelon has been my most used color recently. Check out both of Kevin's jig fishing videos, they are a great help, especially to jig newbies.

4. Never used the wacky rig with anything but a weightless hook, so I can't help you here. But I'd assume same colors and technique as the regular wacky rig. If I understand it correctly, the small weighted jig head just gives the wacky worm a bit of a different action on the fall vs. a weightless one.

BB
Old 10-15-09, 10:00 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've been taking all my fish lately on a 3/8oz colorado/willow tandem spinnerbait and shallow cranks, esp the Bandit 100. I've been finding them in water less than 10 foot deep near weeds and brush.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 10:22 PM   #4
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
1. Not real big on tube fishing, but definately put the jig in the tube before tying it on. I use 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigs and normally 3.5" tubes. For smallies, white is a good color, and so is any goby color. For LM, natural colors, just like worms: watermelon, GP, etc. You can hop, drag, or crawl them across the bottom.

2. C-rig. Again, not real big on fishing this, but 2-3' is a good leader length. A lot of pros use 3/4 to 1-1/4 oz weights, but I prefer a bit smaller, usually 1/2 oz unless I'm fishing pretty shallow, then I'll go 3/8. I like to use 2 tungsten weight or a tungsten weight and a Tru Tungsten Force Bead. I think two 1/4 oz weights makes more noise than a 1/2 and a force bead. You can pretty much use anything for bait, but lizards are pretty popular. I wouldn't worry about floating worms, but if you want to you can use them. You can work this about like a regular t-rig, but I think the most popular way, and the way I prefer, is to drag it across the bottom by sweeping my rod to the side.

3. Again, not a real good jig fisherman... lol, I'm starting to see a pattern here. Anyways, 3/8 oz is my favorite weight, but I'll switch from 1/4-1/2 when the need presents itself. Black and Blue is always a good color, but watermelon has been my most used color recently. Check out both of Kevin's jig fishing videos, they are a great help, especially to jig newbies.

4. Never used the wacky rig with anything but a weightless hook, so I can't help you here. But I'd assume same colors and technique as the regular wacky rig. If I understand it correctly, the small weighted jig head just gives the wacky worm a bit of a different action on the fall vs. a weightless one.

BB
Never did good with C-rig with the leader over 18" but it depends on the bottom conditions i guess. Long grass I think calls for longer leader and I like to use a mono leader and floating bait (worm, craw something like that) to keep keep it up a little more in the water column. 1/2oz bullet weight. I think FC leader might keep the bait a little closer to the bottom, sometimes good sometime not so good. You have to experiment. Its probably the hardest rig for me to fish.
Old 10-16-09, 06:38 AM   #5
Mac2

Tube colors....white with black back called a shad pattern at Bass Pro, house brand....also green pumpkin and watermelon/red are good choices.

Tear out every third tentacle to free up the skirt....more action. Also tear the tips off the remaining tentacles to make them uneven....fish seem to like the uneven (feathered) ends a little more than evenly cut ones. Use an internal tube rattle and scent the tubes in the pack a day before using.....garlic in the scent is a good choice as well as saltwater. Be sure to have some 1/16 ounce tube jigheads on hand....the lighter you can go, the more natural the tube will appear. Tubes are excellent baits and catch a lot of healthy bass. Presentations are varied but I've had more luck with them using slow falling and deadsticking with occasional twitches. Since they often emulate crawdads, a slower presentation often works well. When swimming, they emulate baitfish, can be worked in a more lively presentation. They can even be wacky rigged at times and will do very well.....depending on conditions.
Size, 4 inch tubes or larger for largemouth, generally a 3.5 inch tube is recommended for smallmouth, but 4 will work as well at times. Thanks to Hookup for much of this information.

Last edited by Mac2; 10-16-09 at 06:43 AM.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 06:51 AM   #6
Mac2

Default Bubby Rigging Tubes and Grubs

Bubby Rigging Tubes and Grubs
Basically, Bubby Rigging is simply clamping on a splitshot to the belly of a rounded hook, such as an Extra Wide Gap hook so the weight hangs under the rigged lure. For example, if you rig a tube with a wide gap hook Texas Rigged or Texposed, the splitshot underneath on the hook about halfway between the hook eye and the sharp bend at the back of the hook, it will be exposed. This causes the bait to fall horizontally rather than nosing down and plummeting to the bottom. It slows the fall.
When on the bottom and being retrieved with a drag, the splitshot catches and releases on small pebbles, sand, weeds, whatever. When hitting wood, stone or other hard objects, it emits clicking sounds. It also rocks the baits…in the case of a tube being moved across the bottom, it noses the front downward, raising and flailing the tail. In the case of a grub being Bubby Rigged, it has quite the same action….both tube and grub will toss silt when this occurs as well as the flailing motion.
Helpful Notations: Pinch off every third tentacle of a tube and you will get much better tail action with the gaps leaving room for additional movement.

In the event you have Bubby Rigged a grub, and used a fairly light weight beneath, the tail will wag the dog and the whole grub not only is horizontal on the fall, but takes on a total body movement while underway. The tail of course moves and flaps from side to side, but the head also makes a side to side movement….the whole thing moves giving an additional action. It's best, when using wide gap hooks for bubby rigging, to bend the point part of the shank off about 4 degrees so it doesn't line up with the eye of the hook....offsetting the point is called kirbing. Also a good idea to mash the barb halfway down and bend the point section of the hook upward a couple degrees....called (opening) the hook to improve hookups.

Last edited by Mac2; 10-16-09 at 06:54 AM. Reason: omission
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 11:44 AM   #7
BeaverIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post

1. Tubes on a 60 degree tube jig. any colors or size in particular?? Do you put the tube on the jig before or after you tie the jig on. Presentations??? Depths?? Tube sizes??

Natural colors. Watermelon, watermelon/gold or copper flake, smoke/silver or red flake.

I always tie the jig on before putting the tube on. Tubes tear easily and need to be re-hooked often, and doing it any other way would be a pain. Just gently thread the entire jig, hook point first, thru a hole where the jig eyelet should go. You can hook a tube a few times like this when it gets tattered. Just pull the jig out same way it came in and give it a 1/4 or 1/2 turn and hook it again.

3-4" tubes. The lighter the better, look for "finesse tubes". Stay away from "flippin tubes" unless you're flipping or pitching heavy cover. I use the Berkley PowerTube most often. It's very light and finesse.

1/16 and 1/8 jigs are what I use. Cabelas brand jigs meant for tubes. Tubes are meant to be fished slow, so you can get 10' deep with a 1/8 jig. I generally skip it under docks and swim/twitch it back, sometimes letting it fall and spiral on a slack line.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 12:53 PM   #8
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

1) If fishing open clear water I like the hook point exposed when fishing a tube so I push the jig into the tube and then through the head of the plastic tube and tie the line directly. 4" in Watermelon or Green Pumpkin are tops on the list. If the bite is really tough I rig a 3" Gitzit tube in Crawdad color the same way and slow the retrieve way down. Weights from 1/32 to 1/2 oz depending on how deep I have to fish. The lighter weights allow for a slower fall and a better spiral on the fall. The heavier weights work well for jigging up smallmouths in 20 foot plus water.

When fishing tubes in and around cover I rig then texas style using a 5/0 Owner EWG for a 5 inch tube, 4/0 Owner EWG for a 4" tube and a 3/0 Owner EWG for the smaller 3" tubes. Bullet weights depend on the depth and speed you want the tube to fall at, use as light a weight as you can and still feel what the tube is doing on the bottom.

#2 Carolina rigs are as varied are there are fisherman. As a place to start use a two to three foot leader. If not getting the bites you think you should shorten up the leader to get a quicker motion to your bait, make the leader longer to get a slower effect out of the bait. When fishing black lizards I use fluorocarbon line to keep the bait on or near the bottom, a short leader of about 18 inches to simulate a lizard rooting around in the bottom, with watermelon or green pumpkin colored floating worms I like a little longer leader of a mono or co-poly to help float the bait above weeds or junk on the bottom. My favorite c-rigged bait is a Watermelon/Red fleck Zoom fluke on a 3 foot leader. This gives the bait a lot of room to dart, twitch, and move around. You can fish a carolina rig from 6 inches of water to as deep as you have line on your reel. Just use as light a weight in shallow water as possible and increase the weight so you can feel the bottom composition as you go deeper. I use a 1/4 oz to 10 feet, 1/2oz to 15 feet, 3/4oz to 25 feet, and any deeper then that will go to a fill 1 oz or heavier weight depending on the current if any.

#3 A book could be written several times over on jigs and all that goes into them. Start with a good quality 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz jig depending on the cover you are fishing. Black/Blue has been the standard color for years, but Green Pumpkin is working very well and the old stand by here for the Great lakes has been black/brown/purple. Trailers are varied as well. I prefer a jig trailer that does two things gives some action to the bait and also some scent. Berkley Chigger craws, Net Bait chunks, and some of the creature baits all work well.

#4 I have not used the flea flicker for wacky jigging. For me I use a Gamakatsu 1/32 to 1/4 round ball short shank jig with a soft stick bait, trick worm, or finesse worm. Vary the weight depending on the rate of fall you need to get a strike.

Last edited by Baron49; 10-16-09 at 12:57 PM. Reason: addl info
Baron49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 03:38 PM   #9
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Skipping tubes works well under docks. Texas rigged with the weight pegged.

Hopping or dragging tubes, T-rigged or on jig heads, are options.

Flipping tubes in brush piles or in heavy grass would be another way to present the bait. I like to T-rig the tubes weedless with this presentation.

Swimming the tubes over grass with no weight and rigged weedless can lead to explosive strikes.

You can buy them from small 1" crappie tubes all the way up to 6" or larger muskie tubes. Typically I use 4" Flipping tubes, 4" Fathead tubes, or 4" Goliath tubes but I do have 3" and 5" tubes that I use as well.
Old 10-16-09, 07:12 PM   #10
Wags

Send a message via AIM to Wags Send a message via Yahoo to Wags

Thanks a bunch guys...keep 'em coming !!! I know everyone has their own personal preferences, and that's what makes bass fishing great- no hard and fast rules- going out in morning to a lake that has OWNED my partner and I. Hopefully, something new may get us started in the right direction....thanks again...and keep the posts coming !!!!
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.