Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-10, 08:59 AM   #1
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Deep Diving Jerk Baits

I am pretty new to fishing jerk baits. I managed two of my nicer fish this year on a Super Rogue, but know that it wasnt diving real deep. When I hit Kentucky Lake in March I know the fish are still gonne be moving up the points and may be in 10ft of water or more. So I have been thinking about increasing my jerkl bait arsenal. I have done enough research to know i want to give X-Raps and Pointers the try this coming year, but the normal models dont dive real deep... So my question is... should i consider a few of the deep diving versions of these two jerk baits? I have talked to same who claim the deep divers dont have the same action as the standard models and more geared towards trolling then rippin. What is your guys experience with Pointer 100 deep divers and teh X-Rap deep?

Thanks for the help guys... a little info... I will be throwing these on 10lb flouro if all goes to plan when spoolin up for teh spring...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 10:55 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't use deep diver, but mostly because I don't fish water that is too deep. But also, you'd be surprised at how far a bass will move up the water column to attack what looks like a dying baitfish.

I was watching Rick Clunn catch fish out of 16-20' of water with a popper, but they'll come up for a jerkbait too. That's why I think there aren't a lot of deep divers.

I have one smaller X-Rap Deep that I use as a crankbait with occasional pauses. I have to say, I fished my first Pointer for a little bit last spring and loved the action of it. Unfortunately, most of my fishing during jerkbait time was done on a pike infested lake, so I was throwing X-raps.

BB
Old 12-09-10, 11:11 AM   #3
MIbasser

Here is a good article on jerkbait fishing. Take a look at what he is using..... He is a local guide on LSC.

I have DD pointers and can say you need a little more rod to get them down. Also, start working out now that'll come in handy when using them!!

http://www.freep.com/article/2010100...19/1285/NEWS15
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 01:32 AM   #4
Bender

I've had pretty good luck with the X-Rap Deeps and the Pointer 100DD. I haven't done as well with the smaller ones like the Squirrel or the Staycee. I've heard those work better with a sweep-stop-sweep method but I haven't tried it. Last year when fishing really deep lakes in New York I was looking for something to get way down there and had great luck with Husky Jerk Down Deep 12s. I cast them really far then pull them down fast trying to get the most out of them and then let them sit or work slowly. Those were really deep lakes though.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 12:22 AM   #5
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If you fish a 78 or 100 pointer on 10lb test you can probably get down at least 6 or 7 feet. If you're fishing over 20 feet of water, assuming the fish aren't anchored to the bottom, then they may only be 10 feet further down than your baits getting. That's just a couple flicks of the tail and they're on it. However if you fish a deep diver that gets down 12 feet on 10lb test and the fish are suspended at 8-10 feet chances are they're not going to go down to get the bait. I've watched bass come up from 20+ feet down to eat a jerkbait in clear water. I wouldn't throw them on floro though, it sinks and will drag your bait's nose down and make it not suspend right.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-10, 07:11 AM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Can these be fished like a crankbait through the wood, or do they float too horizontal? I wouldn't mind digging dirt with one of these to catch some reaction strikes on bottom. Good thing abut most of the jerk baits to me is that they stay in the strike zone longer with slow rises on the suspending models. I know they say suspending, but give them long enough and they will come up.
Old 12-13-10, 10:03 AM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Can these be fished like a crankbait through the wood, or do they float too horizontal? I wouldn't mind digging dirt with one of these to catch some reaction strikes on bottom. Good thing abut most of the jerk baits to me is that they stay in the strike zone longer with slow rises on the suspending models. I know they say suspending, but give them long enough and they will come up.
Or, in some cases, go down. I don't know how well they'd work through wood. you might want to go with a suspending crank. I know they make a suspending version of the fat free shad.

BB
Old 12-13-10, 01:08 PM   #8
walkeraviator

Again, a bait will only suspend under certain conditions. When the water is 30 degrees, a suspending jerkbait will float up even though it suspended perfectly in 60 degree water. This is why you buy suspenstrips from storm lures. As for using them as crankbaits, it can be done yes... as a matter or fact, a lot of guys use these instead of crankbaits when they are trolling...
Old 12-14-10, 06:28 PM   #9
walkeraviator

OK im gonna ask a little more directed question. I am looking to add to my jerk bait collection, and teh wife wants to know what to get me for Christmas. So I am gonna send her after some Jerk Baits. I fish waters where shad is teh primary forage. I will be fishing Kentucky Lake in March when the water is cold and thw water clarity can vary from Clear to heavily stained. Fishing main lake points that drop off as deep as 30 feet deep. I am looking at shad pattern or pearl colors as well as maybe some rootbeer or olive colors that can be seen as baby smallies or bluegill.

Looking at Pointer 100, Husky Jerk, Rogue, and X-Raps. mostly in the 4" size as i already have a few larger 5 inch rogues.

Give me your input. What should I send her after?
Old 12-15-10, 12:31 AM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

A Tackle Warehouse or like gift certificate.
Old 12-15-10, 12:57 AM   #11
Tavery5

I have been reading an article about using deep jerkbaits. One of the techniques that they discuss is using a suspending jerkbait on a three way swivel with a leader and dropper weight to keep it a certain distance from the bottom, they fish is slow, just giving it a twitch and short movements, sort of like a C-rig with the weight dragging bottom and the bait suspending...
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.