Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-19-05, 11:47 PM   #1
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Arkie Matrix Jigs/Strike King Pro Model

Anyone use them? I bought my first two jigs tonight and have finally decided to learn them. I was looking for matching trailers at Wally World but they really didn't have any at all. I bought some YUM LPT crawlers that I'll use on one. The Matrix is black/blue and the strike king is pumpkin?(brown)/black.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-05, 11:57 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good colors. I like to fish them in and around flooded timber. This is one application I highly recommend braid for. you can feel hits better and you can pull the fish out of just about anything with it.
Old 08-20-05, 12:24 AM   #3
KenDammit

kind of wondering about the skirt on the matrix, too. It feels kind of like strings of plastic instead of stretchy rubber. I'm curious to know how well it holds up to a bass' teeth. The shine of it is really nice..and I like the strike king. Its rattler is really loud.

Reb, which colors do you recommend for what conditions? I know the whole black/blue at night with other lures, but i've read that with jigs it doesn't really matter if its night or day.

Another question, what is the best way to spread the fiberguard out?
Old 08-20-05, 12:43 AM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Jigs are one place color doesn't seem to matter. I throw black/blue, watermelon, and green pumpkin most of the time regardless of the conditions. For an all-around color I like black/blue or watermelon more than anything. As far as the weedguard goes,I don't spread it so much as trim it. I take a pair of scissors and trim it off even with the hook so it is on a parallel line with the hook. If I remember I'll take a pic of one I have trimmed and post it so you can see what I mean. Some guys spread it out by sticking their finger in the center of the weedguard and spreading it that way, but I find if I trim it there is no need to spread it out.
Old 08-20-05, 12:43 AM   #5
lokust
BassFishin.Com Member

Here is what I use:

I found the FLW craw trailers at Walmart in the south(Alabama & Tennessee), I have not seen any of the Walmarts up here in Michigan carrying any of the FLW baits.

I got the Yum Chunks at Walmart as well. But I seen them at Kmart as well.

As for the color, Use the local bait as a guide... Go find some crayfish, and note the colors of the local bait fish. They will determine the color of the jig and trailer.

As for the fiberguard, Spread it out and cut out some of the strands.

-Chris
Old 08-20-05, 02:01 AM   #6
KenDammit

yeah I got basically the same thing as the yum trailer, only mine is a yum crawler. I wanted to get some of the FLW trailers but they really didn't have any that matched my colors. They had like purple, an orangeish brown, and that was it.
Old 08-20-05, 06:57 AM   #7
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ken I hate to disagree with some of the others but color does play a role in a jig. I have seen it and actually done tests with it before but thats another story. I'll tell ya how I learned to fish jigs and it worked for me

Take a brown paper sack full of various jigs and take another with variuos trailers. Now it dont matter what the fish are hittin on or who is catchin fish on what ever. LEAVE your tackle box at HOME. FISH those jigs,fish those jigs and then fish them some more. By the time you get good at them you will have learned a VALUABLE tool in your bass fishing arsenal and at the same time you will realize...You can ALWAYS catch a fish on a jig you cant always catch a fish on the rest of the baits. GOOD LUCK
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-05, 12:32 AM   #8
haynesn12
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to haynesn12

i also think that color plays an issue. i thru a watermelon color'd jig with zoom trailer in watermelon red flake for almost three hours just trying to catch my first bass on a jig. finally switch to a black/blue swim'n jig with zoom black/red flake trailer and caught a bass on the first cast. so in my case color did make a differance
Old 08-21-05, 06:40 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Ken and lokust check out the Paca Craw. They have a wide array of colors to choose from and they are very similiar to the ones you are using right now. If they arnet available in your area give me a holler and I can send you some samples free of charge.
Old 08-21-05, 07:53 AM   #10
Fishie

I don't know about the whole blending your bait to the crawlfish in your area thing. I have had a lot of success with throwing jigs that are different and don't match the bottom. I think the bass see them better and they stand out more. I have also heard that a blue crawl fish will get eaten before any other colored ones. This is why blkbl works good possibly. On extremly clear lakes it can be good to match your bait to the forage because the bass can see so good. Use grnpumpking or pumpkinseed jigs them.
Old 08-21-05, 09:11 AM   #11
lokust
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
Ken and lokust check out the Paca Craw. They have a wide array of colors to choose from and they are very similiar to the ones you are using right now. If they arnet available in your area give me a holler and I can send you some samples free of charge.
Thank you very much for the offer bro. But I love and use paca craws.
My favorite colors are the Alabama craw and Watermelon with gold flecks.
I love their action, I have never seen anything like it till they came out.

This is funny, When I cast them they look like a little human flying thru the air with their arms waving all around.

-Chris
Old 08-21-05, 10:50 AM   #12
pig n jig

Ken,Most people don't give a jig a fair chance to catch fish before they switch lures.As laser said, leave your tackle box , except jigs and trailers home and learn to fish a jig. Once you start catching fish with it, you will build confidence with it.For 2 years I used nothing but a senko rod and a jig rod. The jig caught the fish bottom oriented and the senko fished the rest of the water colum. One or the other or both lures will work every time out. I hope this helps. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-05, 11:14 AM   #13
KenDammit

I'm hoping that I'll be proficient enough to start with that I won't be missing bites constantly. Detecting them on weightless worms has never been a problem for me, but I don't know how similiar the bite is with a jig. I'm pretty confident that jigs as a whole can catch a ton of fish, and big ones, too...so I'm hoping that will help me along in the process psychologically
Old 08-22-05, 06:47 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

It does take a while to get the bite figured out on a jig. They dont always hit it like a train but sometimes only feel like a heavyier weight kinda like weeds on your lure. My dad god rest his sole used to tell me Swing and if its a bass great if its not then remember what the feel was and you will soon be able to discern what the different bites feel like. Remeber hooksets are free lost or missed bass could cause you the tourney or a big one.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.