Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-29-06, 07:56 PM   #1
NCfisherman86
BassFishin.Com Member

Default suspended bass

waters cold half the lakes muddie and the bass are suspended and i can get them to eat are on jerkbaits if anyone knows some better ways to catch them suspended let me know
NCfisherman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 08:01 PM   #2
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

if you're catching them on jerkbaits why would you want to change up lures?...just curious.
Old 01-29-06, 08:07 PM   #3
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

well a crankbait, rat-l-trap, or a spinner would proly work good. or a weightless worm or senko
Old 01-31-06, 07:23 PM   #4
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

I would go with a weightless worm!
Old 01-31-06, 08:33 PM   #5
NCfisherman86
BassFishin.Com Member

preciate the advice just curious i mean u know, i know the jerkbait bite is alright but i just dont have much convidence fishing a jerkbait all day and since 1/3 of the lake im fishing is clear around 48 and the other whole side of the lake is muddie and like 4 degrees colder im just tryin to figure something out because there outta be bout 70 boats in it i need another game plan
NCfisherman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 09:35 PM   #6
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Jerkbait temps also have other baits that will work just fine , depending on the mood of the fish..one that comes to mind is the ratLtrap, and also the fluke..don't be afraid to throw a 2-3 inch powergrub in punkin seed
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 08:13 AM   #7
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Slow crank a DT-10 or 16...I mean slowwwwww. just so the bait keeps moving and stays down.
Old 02-07-06, 12:39 PM   #8
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass
Default Suspended Bass Fishin

I hate when that happens Seriously, I don't even think about it, you need to understand, I do not fish tournaments and I have no pressure on me, when I go fishing, I'm on the water to be away from the city and grind of everyday life. To me catching a fish is a bonus, being on the water with a good friend in my ranger is the real deal. I break all the seasonal pattern systems, I fish weed beds, points, drop offs, and any form of cover or structure available. I wouldn't even attempt to sit and fish for suspended bass. Meesa give up!! I usually catch fish everytime I go fishing, not always, but I'm content to have had a nice day out on the water even without a catch. What ? me worry bout suspended bass, I dont think so !!!
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-06, 03:21 PM   #9
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Suspended fish are very, very , very difficult to catch. @ of the most popular methods when fishing for them are 1) A jigging spoon, and 2 a drop shot. If I had "ONLY" suspened bass to catch, I would use those to methods, or a c-rig, with a long leader, and a floating crankbait. I will rarely even try anymore for them, because believe me I have tried, and it's almost a waste of time. Go find the fish around cover. JMO of course, but if you do a little reading, even the pros avoid it if at all possible. By the way a suspended fish to me is a fish in the middle of the lake, suspending well above the bottom, if the fish is anywhere close to cover/structure I don't consider these suspending bass.

Lizards
Old 02-07-06, 04:43 PM   #10
bassnman30

Is this lake Badin ?
Old 02-07-06, 08:31 PM   #11
bassin_okie
BassFishin.Com Member

When the fish are suspending, they can be tough to catch. You need to know where (how deep) they are suspending first of all. Then why, are the baitfish and shad there, or are they inactive. My alltime favorite bait is the spinnerbait, and I've caught deep suspending bass on it. If they are deep you may have to go to a 1 oz. spinner and slow roll it to keep it in the strikezone. If they are inactive (not feeding) you can still entice them to bite. Remember that bass are oppotunistic. I will slowly dance a heavy spinnerbait at the fish's depth. You can also do this with crankbaits, just make the retrieve erratic.It's tough fishin' but you can pull some hawgs out of suspending schools. Good luck
bassin_okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 11:54 PM   #12
Fish2win

When bass suspend 10 to 20 feet deep off shore the method that I and many local guys use is called the float and Fly. You need a long spinning rod to use it and a light action one at that. We use a 1/16 or 1/8 oz jig. that is small. I preferr one with duck feathers and if it has a tiouch of blue or orange it seems all the better. I use 4 or 6 pound test and set the fly 10 or 12 feet under a float.The very small bait and the fact that it is also suspended works great. Dont over work the bait. often just a slight wave action is enough to get the fishes interest.The fish will always feed up so a 12 foot deep fly will often pull a fish from 20 feet,The limber rod is for the small line. Fish2win
Old 02-11-06, 09:56 AM   #13
Curado

A jigging spoon and a senko.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.