Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-07-06, 12:51 PM   #1
bassin_okie
BassFishin.Com Member

Default tips for identifing patterns

Senario - You only have one day to prefish a large body of water you've never fished before. You're going up against 170 to 180 other boats in a one day tournament in early march worth 8000.00 to the winner.

My plan is to start with a spinner throwing at isolated cover and once I get a quick bite, go to a worm and jig to find the big bite. What do ya'll think
bassin_okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-06, 12:55 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd first start out and look at a map of the lake and find the creek channel that runs through it , or identify where creeks feed into it. And, depending on what time of year it is, I would find the warmest water you can for this time of year (feb)..its usually the north bank, due to the location of the sun....Other than that, your lure selection is up to you..
For instance up here in ohio, if I was in a tourney today, I would find warmer water in 2 feet of water verses going down to the dam and fishing 90 feet of water...
If that pattern doesn't hook you up, I'd stick to points, esp. if you can locate a channel nearby. Good Luck To Ya
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-06, 01:57 PM   #3
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Depending On The Time Of Year Ill Usually Look For Weeds. But Right Now I Would Do What Jb Said Look At A Map And Study The Lake. Find The Creek Channel.
Old 02-07-06, 03:28 PM   #4
lizardsrule

Try reaction baits early, and fish around the same type of areas you fish in other lakes to catch fish. If no luck with the reaction lures then slow down, and still keep fishing the same type of structure/cover you have success in other lakes. Fish to your strengths, and what you have confidence in. There are no rules the bass always play by. You just have to have confidence that there are fish where you are fishing. I'd almost guarantee, that if you fish the same type of locations in this body of water as you do in any other body of water, that there are fish there. Now you have to have the patience and confidence to catch them, and using "YOUR GO TO BAITS" will help you with that confidence.

Lizards
Old 02-07-06, 03:54 PM   #5
JB

I keep thinking in the back of my mind "what the heck does he need advise if he's fishing for 8 grand?"...that has to be a healthy entry fee.
Old 02-07-06, 05:03 PM   #6
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass
Default One Day PreFish

You sure you wouldn't rather just spend that entry fee on lures and stuff? ....Let's see....you've never been there before....your fishing against up to 175 or more other teams/boats....ummmmmm....(talk about fishin pressure) forget the odds...just go fish and have fun....Seriously, I'd start asking in local club members & or local guides about the patterns and so forth (if they're willing to share), spend the time you will have prefishin in the boat with one eye on the fish finder and one eye on the terrain. Use whatever maps and research data you can gather, Mark the good spots on your map/GPS. With that many boats out there you had better have a good number of places picked out. I don't know what else to offer, I'm not a tournament basser.
Good Luck
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-06, 05:49 PM   #7
bassin_okie
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the response guys. I've been bass fishing most of my life and have a lot of confidence in my ability. I guess I'm just a little nervous because this is my first tournament. I do plan on studying the topo for this lake and targeting cover near dropoffs for a start. I was just fishing for any secrets that are out there.
Old 02-07-06, 06:53 PM   #8
JB

I remember my first tournament, well, the first federation tourney, I was with a older seasoned veteren and he kept telling me to slow down, take my time, think things through. I had my hands full running the boat for 8 hours plus trying to quietly pitch , while keeping him in position to ...
Theres a lot of things that happen in a tourney that can keep your mind busy and heart racing. Especially when you have some guy in a boat just 30 yards behind you catching fish that you just covered...it works on Ya let me tell You!...Just hang in there and stick to what you know best, your strengths will come through. Don't be coerced into throwing something you have no confidence in just because someone told you they were hitting on it..theres almost always a pattern with a pattern, or many patterns through out the day.
Hope ya have decent outing, good weather, no rain, some wind, overcast etc.
Old 02-07-06, 07:43 PM   #9
zooker

main patterns are basicly wood,rocks,vegataion. the only thing you need to find are the depth the fish are activly feeding. if they are feeding at the grass edge or 10 feet out. they will be on one of these patterns i am guessing rocks -they hold the heat- if you catch one fish off a rock pile in 10 feet of water look for other rock piles in the 9-12 foot depth.

zooker
Old 02-07-06, 07:49 PM   #10
JB

Good point on the heated rocks there zooker. Timber up here in some lakes is hit or miss, they get beat to death by anglers if they are lucky to find them... but sure are fun to pull bass out of the treetops when they are willing to bite.
Old 02-07-06, 08:24 PM   #11
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

What lake you going to be fishing okie?
Old 02-07-06, 10:09 PM   #12
bassin_okie
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

eufaula in oklahoma
Old 02-08-06, 08:32 AM   #13
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I was hoping it was Grand, I know some area's there. Meant to get to Eufala but never did. I've heard it has a lot of big bass, and from what I understand that it is a spinnerbait/jig lake. That's bout all I know of it.
Old 02-08-06, 05:40 PM   #14
Bassin Bigdog
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Okie
If I were you I would see what your fishin partner is doin. (he he)
Bassin Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.